registering my baby

sarita

May 5, 2005
im an english citizen living in the dr. im married to a dominican and have just given birth. im working as a teacher, however, i dont have my recidency and my tourist visa has ran out. i went to register my baby (as dominican) with a copy of my passport, my husbands cedular, my baby's papers from the hospital and a copy of my marriage papers however when i got there they told me i cant register him without my cedular or a tourists permit. i was planning on getting my residancy in june but i need to register my baby now in order to get his medical insurance and english papers. can i get my tourist permit from puerto plata and if not is there any other way around this problem?
thank you
:cry:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
First of all, many congratulations!

Isn't it enough for your husband to declare him?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In this country, you husband is supposed to declare the baby

It is a "man's job"....

Now you can take the paper he gets from the Registro Civil and go to the British Consulate and register the baby as your son or daughter....They don't care if you are legal or not, just that you are married, that the baby is yours and that you are British,,I suppose that is it. Right Chiri?

HB :p:p

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I don't think it matters whether you are married or not, as long as you are on the birth certificate as the mother, and can demonstrate that you are British.

If you are British your child is automatically entitled to UK citizenship. However, his having been born outside the UK or dependent territories does not entitle any future children he may have to citizenship, unless he marries a British-born Brit or the children are born in the UK or dependent territories.

I'm renewing Chirimoyito's passport this week so the information is fresh in my mind!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You can latter claim Dominican citizenship for your baby given that his father is a Dominican. According to the Migration Law unless you have legal status in the country your baby does not qualify for Dominican citizenship. Given that you do not have legal residency status (cedula) nor were you here on a working visa, then your baby does not qualify. Right now the only citizenship the baby legally should receive is the British one.

I wonder if a tourist gave birth during the 15-day legal period this would make her have legal status here.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hillbilly said:
It is a "man's job"....

Now you can take the paper he gets from the Registro Civil and go to the British Consulate and register the baby as your son or daughter....They don't care if you are legal or not, just that you are married, that the baby is yours and that you are British,,I suppose that is it. Right Chiri?

HB :p:p

As Hillbilly says, it is normal for the father to declare the child. Thinking twice, one would think that if the father declares the child, and he is a Dominican, he would be able declare his child born here as a Dominican and this be accepted, probably regardless of the status of the wife. In the DR, the Constitution states that the wife of a Dominican acrues Dominican citizenship, not so the husband of a Dominican woman.
This is an interesting case because of the Migration law specifies that children born of illegal immigrant does not acrue Dominican citizenship.

Please keep us posted about how this turns out.

oops... this is not Robert writing. This is Dolores. I am borrowing his computer while my hard disk is being repaired....

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Just one tiny thing .....

Please don't take this the wrong way, but with all the associated privilages of the British social security system why on Earth register the child as Dominican when you could register as British? I doubt if the child would grow up to thank you if you registered him / her as Dominican and swept away their chances of more opportunities (and I am being careful here) for a better life. I'm sure you've already thought this through carefully - I'm just being nosey I guess.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
They can do both: the way I understood the OP is that to get the child registered as a Brit at the consulate they needed to produce a birth certificate first. He was born in the DR so that by definition would be a Dominican birth certificate - which is what her original question was about.

sarita said:
i need to register my baby now in order to get his medical insurance and english papers

calala2k

Apr 22, 2005
Just A Quick Question...my Son Was Born Here In England Can Or Is He Intitled To Dual Citizenship As My Husband Wants This?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
next, Chiri tackles ENIGMA

calala2k said:
Just A Quick Question...my Son Was Born Here In England Can Or Is He Intitled To Dual Citizenship As My Husband Wants This?

You need to be a codebreaker to understand the question the way you phrased it! :cross-eye

You are a Brit.
You live in England.
You have a son.
His father - your husband - is Dominican.
Your husband is in England too.
Your son only has British nationality.
Your husband would like him to have Dominican nationality as well.

Is that correct?

If so, your husband should contact the DR embassy in London and ask about registering your son there. It may not be possible if the baby is over six months old (based on my experience), so they should be able to advise you on what the alternatives are. He may have to wait until his next visit to the DR to make a 'declaracion tardia' in order to register him in the DR.

;)

sarita

May 5, 2005
calala2k said:
yea he is entitled to both but u will have to go to the dominican embassy in london

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
sarita said:
im an english citizen living in the dr. im married to a dominican and have just given birth. im working as a teacher, however, i dont have my recidency and my tourist visa has ran out. i went to register my baby (as dominican) with a copy of my passport, my husbands cedular, my baby's papers from the hospital and a copy of my marriage papers however when i got there they told me i cant register him without my cedular or a tourists permit. i was planning on getting my residancy in june but i need to register my baby now in order to get his medical insurance and english papers. can i get my tourist permit from puerto plata and if not is there any other way around this problem?
thank you
:cry:

Sarita,

I don't know how it is in the UK but in the US it is not looked favorably when you apply for a national security job and have dual citizenship. Anyway, your son's British passport will say his place of birth (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic), this is what the Dominican Immigration officer sees when someone is entering the country. So, your son will not incur a tourist fee when coming in or when leaving.

jeanmarie

Mar 24, 2004
Robert said:
In the DR, the Constitution states that the wife of a Dominican acrues Dominican citizenship, not so the husband of a Dominican woman.

Dolores can you or anyone expand on this? Is there any obvious advantage for the wife of a Dominican to pursue DR citizenship, that you can think of?

sarita

May 5, 2005
just to let u all know that finally my baby is registered- it only took 3 weeks and many trips to puerto plata lol. anyway thank u everyone for all ur help and advice