Gun Laws

Colonial12

May 5, 2005
Just quick questions about gun laws in DR....Are there any restrictions? or do you need to have a weapon registered?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Do a quick search - this has been talked about a bit here - military type , not allowed, 45's not allowed, carry permits you have to be a resident etc., there's lots if you look.

buseouno

Feb 22, 2005
Colonial12 said:
Just quick questions about gun laws in DR....Are there any restrictions? or do you need to have a weapon registered?

You must be a Dominican citizen or legal permanent resident with the proper papers after I believe, 5 or 7years, then you can legally own a gun.
The permit must be renewed yearly and has the gun serial # right on it as well as the owners picture so it can not to be transfered or carried by someone else.
Part of the permit process includes drug testing, psychological testing and some training, (though not enough).

Ken

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
buseouno said:
You must be a Dominican citizen or legal permanent resident with the proper papers after I believe, 5 or 7years, then you can legally own a gun.
The permit must be renewed yearly and has the gun serial # right on it as well as the owners picture so it can not to be transfered or carried by someone else.
Part of the permit process includes drug testing, psychological testing and some training, (though not enough).

Ken
Whoops, legal resident with 2 years is all it takes. You pay something like 1000 US with license for crap Saturday night special. But what the heck in the third world a Taurus handgun is top shelf!

Escott

buseouno

Feb 22, 2005
Escott said:
Whoops, legal resident with 2 years is all it takes. You pay something like 1000 US with license for crap Saturday night special. But what the heck in the third world a Taurus handgun is top shelf!

Escott

Thanks for the correction Scott, I hadn't personally checked the legal status for residents, as our 9mm is in my wifes name.

Ken
PS there is a slim chance that I may be able to show up for dinner this PM, but don't count on it.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
in Santo Domingo

Forget the store, and go directly to 'Secretar?a de Interior y Polic?a', Huacal building, Second floor (don't take the elavator, for obvious reasons ;-). Walk to the front of the room (with the rows of chairs) and tell the attendant the nature of your business. She will ask you to go pay the fee and return with the invoice. When you return, she will take your c?dula and ask you to sit down and wait until called. When you're called, you will walk down the assigned hall and into a room where you will take your turn to have your picture taken and voila! your new permit is issued right then and there.
How long does the procedure take? Depends. Sometimes they're not too busy, and you're out before the hour... best to go early...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Windeguy, all gun permits are issued in the Capital, at the main offices of the Secretar?a de Estado de Interior y Polic?a. However, there was some chatter a few months ago about allowing the Santiago office of the ministry to issue the license.

http://www.seip.gov.do/

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
It depends. Is your permit 'porte y tenencia' (to carry a concealed weapon) or is it just for 'tenencia' (porte)? Anyway, between 4 and 7 thousand pesos.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Yes, there're two kinds of permits, 'porte y tenencia' (carry-on permit) and only 'tenencia' (possession) which is only to keep it within the premises. To show a weapon is not 'macho', it is 'mucho est?pido'. I suggest you hide it under your black trenchcoat. Also, 'tenencia' permits are cheaper than 'porte y tenencia'.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Mirador said:
... To show a weapon is not 'macho', it is 'mucho est?pido'. I suggest you hide it under your black trenchcoat. Also, 'tenencia' permits are cheaper than 'porte y tenencia'.

I understand your line of thinking and in most environements I would agree but then... If you conceal a gun, you still carry it and one day you may well feel that the time has come to pull it, and when then you'll pull it, it will be to shoot.
If one "shows" a gun it may on the other hand have a deterrent value... kind of like having a big body guard with you. However, if somebody comes to mess with somebody who obviouly carries a gun, then you might be in deeper crap than you actually thought you'd ever look for.

So, I really don't know what the good answer is.

BTW: I'm not sure as to undertand you last sentence as you would suggest that "tenencia" autorizes one to carry concealed (under the black trenchcoat)... I would think it doesn't (?).

... J-D.

Bricker

Jul 22, 2003
My wife is Dominican; we live in Virginia. My sister-in-law, who lives in Santo Domingo, is interested in acquiring a firearm. Given the ridiculous prices in the DR, I'd like to get her one here and either ship it or bring it when we next visit.

What do I need to do to make this happen? Can I Fedex her the gun? (Within the US, I can only Fedex to a Federal Firearms Licensee; can I Fedex it overseas?) Or with us? Flying within the US, I can bring the weapon unloaded, locked, in checked baggage, declared at the ticket counter. May I do the same to Santo Domingo? Can I bring it into the country that way?

I was planning on giving her a .45 ACP, but apparently that's prohibited. What's permitted? .40 S&W? 9mm? .357?

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Windeguy, thanks for your helpful info. I must go to la Capital to do my renewal on or about 8/1/05.

Gracias,
Zeus (primus inter pares) ;)

Bricker

Jul 22, 2003
windeguy said:
In response to the comments about shipping a gun to the DR: Unless something has changed, this is practically impossible to do legally. We were told everywhere that the weapons must be purchased in the DR. And a 9mm is the largest caliber I have seen available to the public for a handgun.

Can you point me in the direction of an actual law or regulation that governs this? What does "practicallly" impossible mean?