UPS model compatible with Inverter

rogi

May 6, 2005
Hi,
I'm looking for UPS that is compatible with invertor.
I'd like to know exact model, brand name and where I can buy it in Santo Domingo. I bought new invertor not long ago but my old UPS refuses to work with inverter. UPS starts to make loud noise every time electricity disappears
but all other electronics (TV, radio) work well with inverter.
Thanks.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Invertor Generates a "Square Wave" The "Street Power",a Sinewave.

THat is what caauses the Motors,like Fans to "hum".The "noise" should not mean that your UPS is not "working".Just that it doesn't "like" your square-wave.The "Hum" may be heard in your computers speakers as well as from the UPS.I have a "TRACE" invertor,no UPS,and my computer is fine when the power goes on or off!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

rogi

May 6, 2005
Criss Colon said:
THat is what caauses the Motors,like Fans to "hum".The "noise" should not mean that your UPS is not "working".Just that it doesn't "like" your square-wave.The "Hum" may be heard in your computers speakers as well as from the UPS.I have a "TRACE" invertor,no UPS,and my computer is fine when the power goes on or off!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Thanks Criss.
I think I didn't explain it good enough.
When I talk about "noise" I meant just simple beeping (the same
the UPS makes when there is no electricity).
It seems that my UPS doesn't "understand" square-wave electric current
at all. And my inverter is not quick enough. When my computer works
without UPS , it always restarts when power goes off.
Does anybody have the same experience?
May be I should change power supply in computer?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Try an Omega DR-650.
They work fine here with inverters.
There may be many other brands, of course, but this one works for sure and is cheap.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Simple solution.

I have had the same problem where my PC would restart every time lights went out and inverter switched in. The simple solution is this: take out the power supply out of your PC or have it taken out by a tech in a computer shop. Then have him take out the 2 electrolytic capacitors and have him install 2 huge ones in their place ex: 460 micofarads. You might have 260 micro farads caps inside now. Don't let him install 2 more similar sized caps installed in parallel to the existing ones. Tell him to take out the original small ones and put in huge one that he can find ex: 460 plus microfarads each. This will solve your problem. The problem is that when inverter switches in during a black out, you have micro seconds delay in relay switching. The small caps in the power supply don't have enough charge to supply the pc with its power needs to fill in the time gap that is occured between black out and power inverter switching in. The huge caps will be sufficient to provide you with enough juice to give you uninterrupted power transfer.
Have a nice day.
now you owe me a beer.
AZB

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
AZB said:
I have had the same problem where my PC would restart every time lights went out and inverter switched in. The simple solution is this: take out the power supply out of your PC or have it taken out by a tech in a computer shop. Then have him take out the 2 electrolytic capacitors and have him install 2 huge ones in their place ex: 460 micofarads. You might have 260 micro farads caps inside now. Don't let him install 2 more similar sized caps installed in parallel to the existing ones. Tell him to take out the original small ones and put in huge one that he can find ex: 460 plus microfarads each. This will solve your problem. The problem is that when inverter switches in during a black out, you have micro seconds delay in relay switching. The small caps in the power supply don't have enough charge to supply the pc with its power needs to fill in the time gap that is occured between black out and power inverter switching in. The huge caps will be sufficient to provide you with enough juice to give you uninterrupted power transfer.
Have a nice day.
now you owe me a beer.
AZB
That's a good suggestion for resolving a "switchover" problem, as a PC can shut down if the switchover time is too long, but it does not resolve the OP's problem, which is a lack of compatibility between his UPS and his inverter. As CC pointed out, the inverter puts out a square wave that some UPS' simply cannot function with.
There is but one solution. Buy a compatible UPS.

rogi

May 6, 2005
Thank you Gentlemen.
This is the information that I need.
And I owe you a beer ;-)

rogi

May 6, 2005
Rocky said:
That's a good suggestion for resolving a "switchover" problem, as a PC can shut down if the switchover time is too long, but it does not resolve the OP's problem, which is a lack of compatibility between his UPS and his inverter. As CC pointed out, the inverter puts out a square wave that some UPS' simply cannot function with.
There is but one solution. Buy a compatible UPS.

Rocky,
I think with AZB's solution I won't need UPS at all, only inverter and
computer.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
rogi said:
Rocky,
I think with AZB's solution I won't need UPS at all, only inverter and
computer.
That is correct, assuming you have a decent inverter with a quick switchover time.
Bear in mind that if you load your inverter up near it's max, that the switchover time is greater, so even if a unit is quoted as switching in 32 milliseconds, if it's operating a heavy load like a fridge, for example, it may slow it down to 1/10th of a second, and that may be too much for the "AZB" solution.

rogi

May 6, 2005
Rocky said:
That is correct, assuming you have a decent inverter with a quick switchover time.
Bear in mind that if you load your inverter up near it's max, that the switchover time is greater, so even if a unit is quoted as switching in 32 milliseconds, if it's operating a heavy load like a fridge, for example, it may slow it down to 1/10th of a second, and that may be too much for the "AZB" solution.

Rocky,
Thanks for the additional information.
I'll try to find and buy UPS you mentioned.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Additional information.

Before you go out and buy a UPS why not try my method first. It works for me at home and at office. Rocky is right, if you have way too heavy load connected then you may have problems still (but once in a blue moon). Remember, fridge's compressor is not turned on all the time. To compensate for that time gap, use the biggest capacitors that you can find ex: 460 mircofarads each (2). I have my inverter running the whole house (minus fridge) and I have no problem switching over uninterrupted. My solution will only set you back 200-300 pesos, while a UPS will cost you a whole lot and not to mention, you will have a spare UPS sitting around. The batteries in UPS have to be replaced every 2 yrs or less time. My solution is still good and cheaper. Just take out the fridge from the circuit and use low consumption bulbs.
AZB

P.S. Mr. Mike demonstrated an inverter and an ups setup that worked fine.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
rogi said:
Rocky,
Thanks for the additional information.
I'll try to find and buy UPS you mentioned.
By the way, if that UPS doesn't work with your invertor, then you are stuck with it. Most likely, there won't be a refund. This is not Ohio.
Some inverters put out a nicer modified sinewave than others. It means, some better quality inverters output a square wave and sine wave mixture that resembles more like a sine wave than others. Some cheap inverter designs use a vary crude looking sinewave that resembles more of a square wave than sinewave. So make sure your inverter is a good quality one or you will be stuck with another UPS that doesn't work with your inverter. I have a triplite inverter that doesn't work with my inverter but does work with other expensive brands of invertors.
AZB

rogi

May 6, 2005
AZB said:
By the way, if that UPS doesn't work with your invertor, then you are stuck with it. Most likely, there won't be a refund. This is not Ohio.
Some inverters put out a nicer modified sinewave than others. It means, some better quality inverters output a square wave and sine wave mixture that resembles more like a sine wave than others. Some cheap inverter designs use a vary crude looking sinewave that resembles more of a square wave than sinewave. So make sure your inverter is a good quality one or you will be stuck with another UPS that doesn't work with your inverter. I have a triplite inverter that doesn't work with my inverter but does work with other expensive brands of invertors.
AZB

AZB,
Thanks for the explanation. I think my inverter is not the best quality.
It's TRIPP-LITE APS1012 (may be the same as yours)

Rocky,
Could you please tell us your invertor's model (that works fine with Omega DR-650) ?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
rogi said:
Rocky,
Could you please tell us your inverter's model (that works fine with Omega DR-650) ?
I have a Trace 3624, but I have had other Trace models that the Omega worked fine with.
As AZB pointed out, you could own an inverter that puts out such a square wave that even the Omega might not work with it.
The Trace inverter I have is "quasi sinewave" but not true sinewave.
The true sinewave inverters cost a fortune.
I believe that if you go to a reputable computer shop in your neighbourhood and ask them for a UPS that will work with your inverter, and ask them to guarantee that you can return it if it does not, that they will sell you what you need.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I just don't know why there is more thinking involved on this issue? Just have the electrolytic caps changed in your power supply of your PC with huge ones and you are all set. This whole issue could be resolved with only a few hundred peses. Then your pc will be good to be used with almost any inverter, thus, no need to buy a new UPS. I have both of my PCs rigged with this scheme and both work fine with 2 seperate dominican inverters. Now if this trick doesn't work, then don't worry, you haven't done anything bad to your power supply of your PC.
Now just do what I am stating and you will come out a happy man. There is no more thinking involved. I am typing this from a PC which is hooked up to a dominican made inverter and works perfectly with my PC. First thing I do to these power supplies is to change the caps inside my power supply of my PC and now I can use this PC with any inverter.
AZB

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
I fell into this trap.

I bought a UPS from Pricesmart. Whenever the power goes over to inverter an electronic (loud) alarm goes off and the UPS starts to discharge its battery. Most annoying! - Yes I know I can take the back off and rummage around to disable the alarm but the inverter doesn't charge the batteries anyway so what's the point? It only runs for 15 minutes or so. Not exactly top of the range!

Moral of the story - Listen to the experts and do what they tell you otherwise you end up like me with a very expensive extension lead!!! :tired:

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Inverters and Motion Detector Lights

My automatic Infra Red (motion detector) lights sometimes fail to function on the inverter -- or they switch to a floodlight program (permanently on) when a peak load arises, say, if the refrigerator and the water pump both start at the same time. Has anyone found a brand of IR lights which work well with all inverters, or an inverter that works well with all IR lights?

timarnett

Jan 29, 2006
Where to buy an Omega DR-650

I have noted the suggestion from Gold but the newer power supplies come with capacitors of 470μF. The problem is that when the apagone happens when the supply voltage is low the computers crash, I can boost the voltage ( I have two phases) but then the voltage goes very high at times. I have the alternative of buying a large expensive voltage regulator or using a UPS so can anyone tell me where I can buy an Omega DR-650 in Santo Domingo, the first post in this thread asks that, but no one seems to have been able to answer this so far, the usual computer suppliers do not have them.
Thanks in anticipation.