How do you say purse/luggage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I remember one time in the DR I was trying to say purse to a friend of mine. I don't remember what it was called. I do remember when they finally undstood what I was trying to say the word sounded weird? I kept trying to remember it but I lost it. I kept saying purse in Portuguese to them and it was not even close to it :laugh:

Examples:

How would you say I don't have a purse?
No tengo un ? I dont' know the rest.

I have to get my purse?
Tengo qeu ? mi ?

I need to get my luggage?
Tengo que ? don't know the rest.

Thanks!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Sounds familiar thanks el monedero! At least I can stop wondering.
Wallet is close to Portuguese I'll remember that one easy :classic:
Luggage wow that will be a tricky one for me to remember :laugh:

Thanks Dominican Babe

Dominican Babe said:
Purse = el monedero
Wallet = la cartera
Luggage = el equipaje

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Maleta/ maletas ( suitcase) is easier for me to remember.

How about "bulso" for purse?

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Maleta/ maletas ( suitcase) is easier for me to remember.

How about "bulso" for purse?

If you are talking about the American concept of purse then it is bolso which can contain among other things a monedero (the British concept of purse).

Dec 9, 2002
I understand bolsa to be bag, as in handbag, which is what the Americans refer to as purse. It all gets very complicated doesn't it.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Cartera is also used for womens' purses. Bolsa and bolso are also used, but more like the ones that hang from the shoulder, with a long strap. Monedero is a smaller purse, like the one they carry inside the purse, it's where the coins go. Cartera is also used for men's wallets. Of course, it may vary from country to country. For men's wallets, billetera and cartera are used.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Come on guys!

Guys, let not make this more difficult than it should be.
The poster is trying to learn and I believe that the easiest way to help her is to post the "easiest" dominican way of saying things.

Purse, althought is "pulsa", EVERYBODY will know what you are talking about if you say "cartera". Monedero is just too hard for someone that does not knows the language to pronounce and to remember.

Luggage, althought you can say "equipage", the easiest way to remember and pronounce is "maleta".

Monedero, crap, even I that can understand, read and write spanish, have a problem saying. Besides, it rhymes with INODORO (toilet), hehe.

Poster, you should say:

No tengo una cartera. Or no tengo cartera.

Tengo que buscar mi cartera.(I have to get my purse)

And:

Tengo que buscar mi maleta. Or necesito buscar mi maleta.

Last edited:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
You don't want to use ..bolsa.. for purse or bag in the DR! It has a totally different meaning here .. ie scrotum. I think it is one of those domincanismos.

Most frequently I hear cartera for purse and maleta for suitcase.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
La Profe_1 said:
You don't want to use ..bolsa.. for purse or bag in the DR! It has a totally different meaning here .. ie scrotum. I think it is one of those domincanismos.

That's a good thing to know. We don't want to be going around the DR airports saying;

" yo est?n buscando mi bolsa, donde est? mi bolsa" :laugh:

Especially if you are a woman.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Anna your too funny :laugh:

So I got in now cartera for purse and maleta for luggage easy I can remember that!

gracias

Mi gusta compra carteras, yo tenho muchos! (I know i didn't write that correctly,help) :classic:

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Music said:

So I got in now cartera for purse and maleta for luggage easy I can remember that!

gracias

Mi gusta compra carteras, yo tenho muchos! (I know i didn't write that correctly,help) :classic:

Me gusta comprar carteras, tengo muchos.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Music said:

gracias

That's right Music! Cartera is all you need for purse. Now, "tenho" in Spanish is tengo and since cartera is feminine, you should say "muchas". The rest of the sentence is correct.

I've noticed that some things which are feminine in Spanish, are masculine in Portuguese and vice versa, example:

O leite= la leche in Spanish
O sangue= la sangre
Uma dor= un dolor (femenine in Port. but masculine in Spanish)

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Yes your right about that! That's why I mix the two up sometimes lol! I have to think before I say or write something. Portuguese comes to mind first before Spanish that's why. I'll get it just practice is all I need! ;)
Thanks for the tips I will use them!

juancarlos said:
That's right Music! Cartera is all you need for purse. Now, "tenho" in Spanish is tengo and since cartera is feminine, you should say "muchas". The rest of the sentence is correct.

I've noticed that some things which are feminine in Spanish, are masculine in Portuguese and vice versa, example:

O leite= la leche in Spanish
O sangue= la sangre
Uma dor= un dolor (femenine in Port. but masculine in Spanish)

Status
Not open for further replies.