I would love to know...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yes you can make your own. The cream in the DR is so good if you look away for a few seconds while trying to make whipped cream it turns into buter. Add a little salt and you have 100% natural butter.

Hummm wonder why they can't make good cheese then?

Nov 5, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Yes you can make your own. The cream in the DR is so good if you look away for a few seconds while trying to make whipped cream it turns into buter. Add a little salt and you have 100% natural butter.

Hummm wonder why they can't make good cheese then?
YES!!! OMIGOD! What is with their cheese??

I LOOOVE cheese..and I CANNOT find any cheese I really like down there! :eek: Carlos goes eating these BIG pieces of cheese...by itself..nor crackers or anything..and he loves it. And as much as I love cheese..I just cannot stand it. I keep trying too, hoping that I will change my mind and like it..but it just doesn't happen!

Also milk....is there anywhere to find good real milk like we can get in Canada? I drink a few big glasses of it a day up here, and down there I have never found it. There is the milk that doesn't need to be refridgerated...and has a funny taste...or the milk straight from cows which has to be boiled (and I hate hot milk) and then when you cool it down to drink...it tastes like you are drinking straight cream!!! It's ok cooled down for your coffee as cream...but just for a nice big glass of cool milk??? Where can you get one that tastes like the milk "back home"??? Is this possible??

I hope it is somewhere...cuz EVERYTIME I come home I make the flight attendents on the plane bring me at least 3 cartons of milk during the flight..and when I get home I have a few big glasses for myself!!! :D lol..

Next time I am down I am going for about 6 months (gotta come back so my health care doesnt run out...) and I think I will die if I can't get my "regular" milk in that time!!!!! :eek:

LOL..HELP me PLEASE my DR1ers!!!!!!!!!! :D

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
PeachezNcream84 said:
YES!!! OMIGOD! What is with their cheese??

I LOOOVE cheese..and I CANNOT find any cheese I really like down there! :eek: Carlos goes eating these BIG pieces of cheese...by itself..nor crackers or anything..and he loves it. And as much as I love cheese..I just cannot stand it. I keep trying too, hoping that I will change my mind and like it..but it just doesn't happen!

Also milk....is there anywhere to find good real milk like we can get in Canada? I drink a few big glasses of it a day up here, and down there I have never found it. There is the milk that doesn't need to be refridgerated...and has a funny taste...or the milk straight from cows which has to be boiled (and I hate hot milk) and then when you cool it down to drink...it tastes like you are drinking straight cream!!! It's ok cooled down for your coffee as cream...but just for a nice big glass of cool milk??? Where can you get one that tastes like the milk "back home"??? Is this possible??

I hope it is somewhere...cuz EVERYTIME I come home I make the flight attendents on the plane bring me at least 3 cartons of milk during the flight..and when I get home I have a few big glasses for myself!!! :D lol..

Next time I am down I am going for about 6 months (gotta come back so my health care doesnt run out...) and I think I will die if I can't get my "regular" milk in that time!!!!! :eek:

LOL..HELP me PLEASE my DR1ers!!!!!!!!!! :D

Like Queso blanco... just not possible!
But there are many imported cheeses that still have a good price, like
the Dutch Gouda ( queso Gouda Holandese ), its only 140 pesos/libra... and that cheese is eaten all over the world.. that?s what we buy for daily consumtion...
;)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Try a store like Supermercado Nacional In Santiago/Santo Domingo for "real cheese"...... Gouda, Edam, even Jarlsberg!
Playero in Sosua is not exactly Dean & DeLuca!
I am going to guess the yummy cheese chunks Carlos eats is that white Playdoh they sell on the beach that sits in a plastic bag all day in the sun or in a colmado with electricity 4 hours a day.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Tamborista said:
I am going to guess the yummy cheese chunks Carlos eats is that white Playdoh they sell on the beach that sits in a plastic bag all day in the sun or in a colmado with electricity 4 hours a day.
And the funny thing is that Peachez would probably get sick eating her nice and fresh canadian cheese before he does, even if his cheese was left out 3 days straight in the sun.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
from what i understand sosua is among other things..noted for it's cheese..not bad either...i tried it

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Also, Rica do fresh milk in cartons but I stopped buying it because it would go off well before the expiry date, and once or twice was already bad when I opened it.

There's a company (Alpino?) that does fresh goats milk too. It's not cheap and is not always available, though. Most often found in Supermercado Bravo (SD).

On the subject of cheese, typical Dominican country cheeses (crema, hojas, de freir) are wonderful. It's when they try to emulate some foreign cheeses ('holandes', 'danes', 'tipo cheddar') that they produce the nasty stuff. OTOH some of the Dominican-produced mozzarella and even camembert are reasonably good.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
uhm...

The original link is a farce. I called my brother begging for this spectacular butter and he said he wrote it in response to European branding laws.

But so happy to have sparked a lactate debate. :)

MaineGirl said:
The original link is a farce. I called my brother begging for this spectacular butter and he said he wrote it in response to European branding laws.

But so happy to have sparked a lactate debate. :)

Pssst- Hey Mainegirl, im going home for visiting my family. I will see if i can smuggle some kilos of this "butter" to you when i come back to the DR.. But you must promise me to eat every single gram of it while im watching. OK? :cheeky: