consulate in santo domingo

Scrammy520

Feb 9, 2005
I'm leaving in about a week to go visit my husband in the DR. We want to make an appointment (if necessary) towards the end of the month to speak with someone about getting him to come to the U.S. to live with me eventually. Since we're already married (in the DR) we will be going for the K3 or IR1/CR1. Am I correct to go to the consulate for this? If so, what is the number/address? Also, concerning getting him a passport, what government office should we go to? (and where is it, and how much do they cost?) thanks for any advice.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Let's see if this helps...

Here's a link I have for the US Embassy in Santo Domingo...

http://www.usemb.gov.do/index.htm

If you go to the 'consular section' at the bottom of the page, you'll find lots of info...Here's the address...

C?sar Nicol?s Penson and M?ximo G?mez
Telephone: (809) 221-2171 | Fax: (809) 685-6959

Hope it works!

MQ

PA-LWW

May 9, 2005
I wouldn't recommend going to the consulate. It's a big waste of time unless you already have an appointment. I went through the K-3 process a little less than a year ago and I made the mistake of going to the consulate thinking that, as an American Citizen, I should at least be able to start the application process for my husband. It doesn't work that way. You have to start the process in the U.S. and the consulate will contact the applicant to schedule an appointment in the D.R. You can't even get in the doors unless you have an appointment. Here's the address for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services official website http://uscis.gov/ They're the ones who have to receive the original petition for a K-3 or IR1/CR1.

Scrammy520

Feb 9, 2005
thanks

thanks guys for your help. PA-LWW, can you tell me a little about your case- what were the circumstances of your situation? also, before i start doing anything, does my husband need to do anything? what about a passport? any advice would be great!

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Yes, indeed!

He needs to have a valid passport for when they grant the visa...if not, he would have to start that process and then have to wait to get the visa...

Better get on that right away!!

MQ

PA-LWW

May 9, 2005
Scrammy520 said:
thanks guys for your help. PA-LWW, can you tell me a little about your case- what were the circumstances of your situation? also, before i start doing anything, does my husband need to do anything? what about a passport? any advice would be great!

I think windeguy is correct about the process. If you're a Dominican resident you may be able to start the process in Santo Domingo. I wasn't a resident when we started the process for my husband. I went to the consulate and was told that I needed to come back to the U.S. and file the paperwork required to petition for a spousal K-3 visa. The first step I believe is to file the I-130 Petition for Alien Relative. After you receive the receipt notice indicating that the form has been received you can submit the paperwork for the K-3. The form is I-129F. Be sure to include all of the documents that the form requires. The biggest time-wasting mistake that I made was signing in behalf of my spouse on the form G-325A. Although the person may not be with you in the U.S. when you're submitting the information, you still have to arrange for them to sign the forms when it requires their signature. I signed my name on behalf of my husband and they rejected the forms the first time. After I resubmitted them with my husband's signature everything went smoothly although it was still a 4 month wait from when they received the corrected form until he received permission to travel. I don't remember the exact process for obtaining a passport but that will be a necessary step. He'll need it when he goes for the interview and in order to travel. Best wishes on your situation. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
windeguy said:
By the way, I cannot see anything that could have been done by a lawyer in filing for a green card that would have made this process any better than it is...
The reason I would use a lawyer is that they know the ropes. They would be able answer questions as to wait time, costs, possible pitfalls, etc. You wouldn't have to guess or ask people on a message board (where you don't know the reliability of the answers). The chances of a screw-up are much less with a good lawyer. Of course you can do it on your own, but I always prefer to use a professional rather than do it myself.

jskr1us

Apr 29, 2003
Getting Family to USA

If you expect the process of getting your spouse to the US to be quick you are in for a shock. First you must apply for him under a I-130 (if he is eligable). This process can be long and frustrating. In most cases it takes between 6 months (very quick) and 2 years to go through the peocess. The longest part lately seems to be getting an appointment. They will only grant an appointment after all of the preliminary steps have been taken, you can reference the perocss at the following site;http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/spouselive.htm
Good Luck!

PA-LWW

May 9, 2005
The K-3 visa is designed to help reduce the amount of separation time but it is only a 2 year visa. Once your spouse is in the U.S. you can file the Change of Status paperwork which will usually be completed prior to the expiration of the K-3 visa. The K-3 also allows them to apply for a work permit which in the case of my husband, we received the work permit within 30 days of sending in the request. He has also been able to travel back and forth from the D.R. on the K-3 without any problems.

bismarkf

Oct 8, 2005
Hello, my K3 petition was approved a month ago and the National Visa center mailed me a letter with a case number for the consulate strating with SDO........, and mentioning that they will notify the consulate in 7 days. Does any one know approximately how long it takes to get an interview for k3 after the consulate has been notified????

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
bismarkf said:
Does any one know approximately how long it takes to get an interview for k3 after the consulate has been notified????

Nobody really knows, but it has been running from a low of 6 or 7 months after notification to a high of 12 months or more. There are currently more than 20,000 appointments on the waiting list at Santo Domingo; they seem to process about 2,000 each month. :(

Swede

Last edited:

jskr1us

Apr 29, 2003
How Long

Been waiting since October 2004 for Embassy action and I have used every possible method of moveing it ahead.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
jskr1us said:
Been waiting since October 2004 for Embassy action and I have used every possible method of moveing it ahead.

jskr1us is right. I have also been waiting for almost 7 months for an appointment. The whole process takes over one year right at this moment. If you talk to anyone who has not done this in the last few months, they have no idea because the process has changed so radically. It used to be you could do it in about 3 or 4 months.

I do NOT agree that lawyers will give you the correct advice. Just go to visajourney.com and do a search for 'lawyers' or "attorneys" and you will change your mind. Unless your case is special for some reason, you will have gone through all the pain and then paid an enormous sum of money to someone who really doesn't care about your case. The paperwork is simple enough for the avaerage person to do if they take their time and be meticulous about it.

-Tim
--
Visit the Dominican immigration forums at:

http://www.dominicanstotheusa.com
http://forums.dominicanstotheusa.com

bismarkf

Oct 8, 2005
Well if it takes so long to wait for a K3 interview, then it doesn't serve its purpose to reduce the seperation of immediate family members.
And it sucks that the waiting list is mixed together with all other immigrant visas, they should have a seperate waiting list for K1/K3.
Another question?
How long after the K3 interview will the beneficiary actually have a visa with which they can travel????

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
bismarkf said:
Well if it takes so long to wait for a K3 interview, then it doesn't serve its purpose to reduce the seperation of immediate family members.
Would he qualify for a visa otherwise???

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
bismarkf said:
And it sucks that the waiting list is mixed together with all other immigrant visas, they should have a seperate waiting list for K1/K3.
Another question?
How long after the K3 interview will the beneficiary actually have a visa with which they can travel????

If the interview is successful, the visa is issued the same day at present. I say at present because they are talking about changing that.

-Tim

--
Visit the Dominican immigration forums at:

http://www.dominicanstotheusa.com
http://forums.dominicanstotheusa.com