Info on Dominican Republic Worlds Fair 1955-56

pwentzel

Mar 8, 2003
Hi! Below is a request for info I made through this forum about 2 years ago. I recieved very few leads. I thought I would try again.

Thank you,

Patrick Wentzel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a carnival and amusement park historian in the United States. I would like to make contact with someone who has information or can point me to a source of information about the Dominican Republic Worlds Fair in 1955 and 1956. I understand the event was held in Ciudad Trujillo now Santo Domingo. It is my understanding that after the fair closed an amusement park was started on the site of the fair. I have several questions both about the fair and amusement park.

I hope someone can offer help or give me contacts. Is there a historical society or library that might have info?

Please email me at my home email address pwentzel@charter.net

You won't guess it from my name, but my mother is Puerto Rican. One more thing, even though Mom is Puerto Rican, I can read or speak Spanish!

Thanks for your help.

Patrick Wentzel
2310 Highland Avenue
Parkersburg, WV 26101
USA

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
I was there...

but I sure don't remember a lot. I do remember a ferris wheel and have not been on one since! I'm sure there are newspaper archives (El Caribe) that would mention it, but I don't think they have electronic files going back that far. It's probably a hard thing to find information on unless you are down here. Good Luck.

PS - Does a carnival and amusement park historian make a lot of money??

pwentzel

Mar 8, 2003
Thank you for posting. I hope someone can help me. I would like to find photos of the amusement area during the fair.

My amusement park and carnival history interests is just a hobby.

Patrick Wentzel