Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boca Chica

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boca Chica

I'll be visiting Boca Chica soon for a week; most likely staying at Hotel Zapata
    I am also thinking about visiting "La capital" wich is nearby (20 min); is it safe? daytime? and also at night?.. what others places can I visit (not too far ) Juan Dolio ? please advice.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no reason to go to Juan Dolio!
    Take that day trip to Isle Saona with your girlfriend of the day.
    It's a nice catamaran ride to an island.

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CubanoCFO
    I'll be visiting Boca Chica soon for a week; most likely staying at Hotel Zapata
    I am also thinking about visiting "La capital" wich is nearby (20 min); is it safe? daytime? and also at night?.. what others places can I visit (not too far ) Juan Dolio ? please advice.
    If you are in Boca Chica you will not find much different in Juan Dolio to bother making the trip. The capital with traffic is more like 40 minutes away but is worth seeing and safe enough.

Zapata is a nice family-oriented ( e.g. not the best for local girls to come back with you if you like that sort of thing) and on the beach. No swimming pool.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info Tamborista & Ricktoronto.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

do you like to boogie board with some great waves???

There is a small little beach about 10-15 mins via guagua called playa carribe.
    ITs a tiny little beach...but GREAT waves!!! you can rent a boogie board for cheap and play in the waves....and there are NO beach vendors to hassle you.

There is nothing special about jual dolio...but it is a bit quieter than boca chica. and there are also some beaches in in the area that are quiet if you want some time alone with your girlfriend.

Getting into the capital is fairly easy (if you speak moderate spanish...the trick to make sure to get an EXPRESS bus and then figuring out where to get off....first time..you will probably want to get off in the colonial zone.)

Definitely do the day trip out to saona..its runs around 40-50 bucks...but it included drinks and food....and if you are into hanging out with other tourists its not a bad deal...and its very pretty.

Now..if only if i could find some really good snorkeling around BC i would be VERY happy. Swimming out to mitaca (off the beach in B.C.) is ok....but it is hardly spectacular snorkeling.....welll...it CAN be spectacular....but for other reasons LOL :-)

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default There's some good Italian restaurants in Juan Dolio!

As well as some beautiful beach areas that are much better for swimming/snorkeling that BC.
    It is definitely "quieter" than BC and not quite so many "working" girls in the area.
    Tourist type shops are about the same however there is the cigar factory in the Villas del Mar/Boulevard area in front of La Cappella resort.
    You might also enjoy a day trip to Catalina Island. It also is a beautiful beach and there's great snorkeling in the coral garden. Cost includes bus to La Romana, boat to the island, all you can eat/drink!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jrzyguy, what is Mitaca?, are you referring to the little island in front of BC? and what "spectacular" is going on there...and Mommc, thanks for the info.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Zapata - Yuck!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubanoCFO
    The Zapata sucks!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helpmann
    The Zapata sucks!!
    Care to expand on that statement?

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not Really...

Quote Originally Posted by rellosk
    Care to expand on that statement?
    Why restate something that's been said on this board before?

If you're really curious, just do a Search.

-Helpmann

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast