japanese in DR

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
I have been looking up information about the Japanese immigrants fromt he 50s and I found this link pretty interesting
http://migration.ucdavis.edu/mn/more.php?id=2456_0_3_0

Dominican Republic. Thirty Japanese who emigrated to the Dominican Republic in the 1950s have joined 150 others in a class-action lawsuit against the Japanese government for inducing them to move to the Caribbean nation, where they were forced into hard labor.

In the 1950s, Japan encouraged emigration, including to the Dominican Republic. Some 1,300 Japanese emigrated in 1955; they were promised free land. However, they did not get arable land in Dominican Republic, and 180 Japanese sued their government for making false promises to induce them to emigrate. In 1961, Japan offered to repatriate those who had emigrated to the Dominican Republic. Most returned, but about 900 Japanese immigrants and their descendants remain in the Dominican Republic.

John

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The Japanese colony near Jarabacoa had very good farm land and although most returned to Japan there are still a number living in Jarabacoa. My wife went to school with many Japanese children and knows many of them.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
My map lists two Japanese villages (or colonys) called Colonia Japonesa. One is near the town of Neiba in the province of Baoruco in the arid Southwest of the DR and by far the larger and undoubtedly the better known one is near Constanza in the province of La Vega in the central mountains of the DR.

Here is a reference to the Constanza Japanese settlement:

http://anthro.binghamton.edu/graduates/cmelendez/japanPhotos1.html

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
sour grapes

hwo much could be just sour grapes. I am sure that in the 50s when the people imigrated Japans was still struggling and 50 years laetr japan is in the top 10 countries and the Dr is left behind.
John

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
From my experience with the Japanese here

According to what I have observed and listened to, the Japanese that came here were nearly forced out of Japan. Some went to the Southern part, and were supposed to be come fishermen. Others were settled in Dajabon and many have prospered there as small farmers. Still more in Jarabacoa or Constanza.

However, many did not stay where they were put, and became merchants in Santo Domingo-very successful, too. Others made sure their children were educated and prospered. the last names of Hidaka, Yamamoto and Saito come to mind, as does Matsunaga. Hidaka is a farmer in Jarabacoa, and a golfer buddy. His son is an engineer. Yamamoto, Kenzo, was educated in the Politecnico Loyola in San Cristobal, and went to UCMM (before the "P" was added) and became an electro-mechanical engineer. Saito also went to Loyola and then the UASD, I think, before emigrating to Puerto Rico, obtaining in the States his Ph. D. in Physics and later obtaining his tenure at Mayaguez. His sister, Masako, is one of the leading members of the Math department at PUCMM

Matsunaga, who once told me that he came here as a fisherman in Pedernales, quickly went to Santo Domingo where he established himself as a martial arts expert, teaching Police and Army recruits, and founding Judo in the DR. He also became well know for his gardening expertise and is the person responsable for the Japanese GArden in the Botanical Gardens in Santo Domingo. He also teaches Bonsai. His children have continued, and one is a coronel in POLITUR.

My own first Judo teacher, Tamioshi Sakamoto (a.k.a. Pablo) came out of Dajabon to administer a huge rice farm for some infamous generals....he married the daughter of one of them...:D:D His children have become famous as gymnasts and Tai Chi masters...

Two things I learned about the lawsuit.
1) The suit was brought to bear because the overseas Japanese felt that they had been cheated out of the prosperity that came about in Japan in the 60s, 70s and 80s.
2) Supposedly there were hundreds of million of dollars to be divided between the Japanese in Peru, Brazil and the DR that were "urged" to emigrate.

Another thing. Japanese that were born overseas, whether to Dominican-Japanese couples or all Japanese couples, are treated like schitt if they ever go back "home" and those that have attempted to do so quickly return to the DR. At least that has been my experiece. They are housed apart from the "real" Japanese and they are treated like idiots....sort of like Dominicans like to think they can treat Haitians.

HB :D:D:D
"Le change, plus le change, c?st le meme chose" (Pardon the poor French) What happened to overseas Japanese was the same thing that happened to the Spanish that came to America or the English that went to North America. Somehow, they became less Japanese, Spanish or English...

Last edited:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
With the Japanese, it's all about status.
A foreigner can get away with bad Japanese, marginal Japanese or no Japanese language skills. One who looks Japanese, but doesn't read Japanese, is considered illiterate and looked down upon. If you aren't educated in the Japanese system - where all the correct behaviors are taught - are looked down upon. Honor and indebtedness are very strong culturally.
Mysogeny and racism are very strong in Japan. They only hide them well.
It could be that when some of the Japanese wanted to go back, they were viewed as proof that their experiment had been less successful than expected and brought shame to the authorities.
A law suit will help. But a big "gomen" from the Japanese government would be a step in the right direction.
There's a lot about the DR that those Japanese folks can be thankful for.
But I'm sure it's awful to feel like your country has abandoned you.
Good luck to them!
mkohn

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hillbilly said:
His son is an engineer. Yamamoto, Kenzo, was educated in the Politecnico Loyola in San Cristobal, and went to UCMM (before the "P" was added) and became an electro-mechanical engineer.

We work with Yamamoto from time to time. Once of the nicest fellows one can hope to meet. Very strange to sit down for a meal with this obviously Japanese fellow and behave not to Japanese custom, but to Dominican custom. I keep thinking I should bob my head or bow or something .. But then we eat rice and beans just like everyone else.

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
Hillbilly said:
According to what I have observed and listened to, the Japanese that came here were nearly forced out of Japan. Some went to the Southern part, and were supposed to be come fishermen. Others were settled in Dajabon and many have prospered there as small farmers. Still more in Jarabacoa or Constanza.

However, many did not stay where they were put, and became merchants in Santo Domingo-very successful, too. Others made sure their children were educated and prospered. the last names of Hidaka, Yamamoto and Saito come to mind, as does Matsunaga. Hidaka is a farmer in Jarabacoa, and a golfer buddy. His son is an engineer. Yamamoto, Kenzo, was educated in the Politecnico Loyola in San Cristobal, and went to UCMM (before the "P" was added) and became an electro-mechanical engineer. Saito also went to Loyola and then the UASD, I think, before emigrating to Puerto Rico, obtaining in the States his Ph. D. in Physics and later obtaining his tenure at Mayaguez. His sister, Masako, is one of the leading members of the Math department at PUCMM

Matsunaga, who once told me that he came here as a fisherman in Pedernales, quickly went to Santo Domingo where he established himself as a martial arts expert, teaching Police and Army recruits, and founding Judo in the DR. He also became well know for his gardening expertise and is the person responsable for the Japanese GArden in the Botanical Gardens in Santo Domingo. He also teaches Bonsai. His children have continued, and one is a coronel in POLITUR.

My own first Judo teacher, Tamioshi Sakamoto (a.k.a. Pablo) came out of Dajabon to administer a huge rice farm for some infamous generals....he married the daughter of one of them...:D:D His children have become famous as gymnasts and Tai Chi masters...

Two things I learned about the lawsuit.
1) The suit was brought to bear because the overseas Japanese felt that they had been cheated out of the prosperity that came about in Japan in the 60s, 70s and 80s.
2) Supposedly there were hundreds of million of dollars to be divided between the Japanese in Peru, Brazil and the DR that were "urged" to emigrate.

Another thing. Japanese that were born overseas, whether to Dominican-Japanese couples or all Japanese couples, are treated like schitt if they ever go back "home" and those that have attempted to do so quickly return to the DR. At least that has been my experiece. They are housed apart from the "real" Japanese and they are treated like idiots....sort of like Dominicans like to think they can treat Haitians.

HB :D:D:D
"Le change, plus le change, c?st le meme chose" (Pardon the poor French) What happened to overseas Japanese was the same thing that happened to the Spanish that came to America or the English that went to North America. Somehow, they became less Japanese, Spanish or English...

Muito interesting about japanese dominicans being treated badly in japan. It doesn't surprize me any............. I've read similar accounts about japanese brazilians being maltreated in japan. Apparently, after living in brazil for generations( although they've maintained some vestiges of japanese culture) they've become way too culturally brazilian for the average japanese man's/woman's taste. Hence, the friction. Likewise, japanese dominicans are very culturally dominican. Surely, they're more familiar with rice and beans, than miso soup and sushi.

Speaking of japanese, one thing that I do admire about them is that they're strivers, who(anywhere that they settle on the globe) prosper; even in third world carribean and latin american nations, with limited resourses. They typically shun politics and the lime light, instead opt to position themselves as buisinesmen and members of the mid and upper classes. Maybe it's in the genes............. lol!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
FireGuy, excellent link.

Hillbilly, another interesting and informative post. Is there anything about the DR that you don't know?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Chirimoya said:
Unfortunately for Peru, there was one notable exception to this rule. ;)
If Japan would give each Japanese-Peruvian one Yen, Japan would go broke.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Chirimoya said:
Unfortunately for Peru, there was one notable exception to this rule. ;)
If you knew something about Peru, you would know there are lots of peruvian-japanese in peruvian politics. Most of them low profile honest guys.

Mr_DR said:
If Japan would give each Japanese-Peruvian one Yen, Japan would go broke.
Unfortunately for Peru, that is not going to happen.

Now, do this forum a favor, get back to japanese in DR.

Jess

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Festivals

With a group like that with a common set history a common origanal colony and so forth do they have a festival someplace to share some of the culure with others? Seems such a shame they dont get together and have something.
Seems to me it would be worth while.
John