Farm subsidies

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
OK in America the original use of farm subsidies was to ensure that certain vital farm products were available domestically in time of war.
In the DR I understand that there is a subsidy on rice.
What kind of programs are set up in the DR to help alleviate the need for imports? I understand that there is a large import of milk which does not make sense to me.
Or all subsidies part of the patronage system?
You know I got to stir the pot every once in a while.
John

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Subsidies of ANY sort----

For a country as debt-ridden as is the DR makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever! They can't really pay the debts that have accumulated over the past 4.5 years so how in H*** can they afford to subsidise ANYTHING. They'll go ahead and do it, however, because the general public has become accustomed to the "handouts" and subsidies.
While they're at it, why don't they subsidise the wages to a livable level. That would do more good than anything else!

Texas Bill

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry John, there ain't none

In fact, farming is one of the most injured of the activities hit by the new free trade agreement. Farmers get no break on diesel fuel, tractors or spare parts.
Nor is the fertilizer industry assisted in any way, nor the chemical industry.

Here farmers are hit with the highest costs of production in the Caribbean.

Subsidies? HAH! Those go to the Urban Poor where the votes are. No electricity, water or garbage bills, and now subsidized propane....

HB :(:(:(

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
imports

I was not worried about me I was just reading some of the old news and read about subsidies for agriculture. Sort of reminded me of the old WV elections roads.
I saw how the the amount of imports are coming and I was just wondering how an island that until recently was an agrairian economy would have so much imports in locally produced items. Chicken/ Milk and so forth.
John

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I must agree with Hillbilly----

As regards the massive inequities promulgated by ALL the Dominican Administrations!!

The clientism is so very obvious to anyone who takes even a casual look at DR's government and economy.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a "clean-up" type revolution to get rid of all the political animals!

I'd better shut up before NalOws comes back and accuses me of "whining"(!!)
instead of merely speaking out in truthful indignation!!!

Texas Bill

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Texas Bill said:
As regards the massive inequities promulgated by ALL the Dominican Administrations!!

The clientism is so very obvious to anyone who takes even a casual look at DR's government and economy.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a "clean-up" type revolution to get rid of all the political animals!

I'd better shut up before NalOws comes back and accuses me of "whining"(!!)
instead of merely speaking out in truthful indignation!!!

Texas Bill

Bill, politicians and diapers should be changed often for the same reason.