Dog Life in Santo Domingo?

elysium314

May 7, 2005
Hello,

I will be moving to an apt in Santo Domingo (Naco District) in July with my dog Watson, a cairn terrier. We currently live in DC, where Watson has been rather spoiled -- two walks to the dog park a day, where he can play with other dogs off leash. We both love these little outings.

My question is, how is life with a dog in a city like Santo Domingo? Are there many other dog owners? Are there parks where I'll be able to take him, and let him off-leash? Better yet, are there beaches where dogs are allowed to romp around without leashes? Are there places where I can take him to play with other dogs?

And, last but not least, what is the situation like in terms of walking him through the city? Do we have to worry about attacks from random, vicious street dogs?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me! I've really enjoyed reading all of your input on the forum with respect to other things.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
For special walks and play time I would take the dog to the park Mirador, where you will find other dog owners and you can let it loose. On the street you have to be a bit more careful, the city is full of street dogs. I have a Boxer and will take her for walks around my neighborhood but on a leash. One thing to keep in mind is that most Dominicans are afraid of dogs so if you let it loose on the beach you might have that area all for yourself! One time she got loose on my street and all the neighbors jumped on the hood of their cars screaming, as if it was a mad wolf! Welcome to DR1! ;)

elysium314

May 7, 2005
Thanks for getting back to me! It makes me feel much better to know that someone else brought their pup over there and is living without problems. Incidentally, my dog's best friend, who lives across the road, is also a boxer.

I worry though about the street dogs, especially since Watson and I were already attacked once on the street here in Washington by a pit bull. I do have a bottle of spray designed to stop attacking dogs, so I'll just have to get used to carrying it around.

Thanks again for your advice! Am glad to have discovered this forum, and am looking forward to arriving in the DR.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
We take our dog to Playa Caribe (Embassy Beach). Quite an international crowd out there. Last month when we went he befriended a dog from Spain (who taught him to dodge waves) and a dog from Japan. We own a very friendly male boxer, Jay. You can set him loose, but you need to watch over him closely because not everyone loves dogs here, and many children are scared of them.