Revisiting Stove Topic...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Allow me to revisit this topic. I found a gas stove in the USA that I would like to purchase. Now for you who have recently been through the process of bringing a gas stove here...what changes need to be made to it and what at what cost?

Thanks.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Converting A Stove From Natural To Propane

Poking around the internet I answered my own question...thought I would share this with all....

1) New ranges ship from the factory already set up for natural gas. There are at least a couple of reasons for this:

a) A higher percentage of our population uses natural gas
b) It's easier to convert to LP than back from LP to natural

There are basically two types of ranges to deal with: those with sealed top burners, which are pretty much the standard today, and the conventional, 'non-sealed' ones.

While they operate in much the same way, their conversion is usually different. There are still a few ranges that use adjustable sealed burner orifices, but most are 'fixed' and must be individually replaced to convert each burner from one fuel to another.

(An orifice is simply a small brass fitting with a specifically sized hole very accurately drilled through it, and, if adjustable, has a provision to change the size of this hole by turning closed a threaded portion).

Either way, basically what you're doing when going from natural gas to LP is changing to a smaller orifice to allow for the higher pressure supplied by the 'bottled' gas (The available energy in each ft of gas is different too, but for our purpose here that's not important). Natural gas supplies typically run around a pressure of 5.5 inches water column, while LP runs at twice that pressure, averaging around 11 inches. The orifice through which the gas travels to the burner must be smaller to accommodate this difference.

Adjustable orifices are simply 'snugged' down, clockwise, with a 1/2 inch open-end wrench, to convert them. Nearly all oven burners use these too - more about that in a minute.

Fixed orifices are replaced, and the good news is: the LP parts are usually included with the new range. On some brands (GE being one), the unused set is attached to a storage point on the stove, and this is a great idea. This way, they can't get lost, and if you ever want to convert back, there they are!

The not-so-good news: these little top burner orifices very often require a metric wrench to remove & install. And some can't be changed without a very slender wrench or nut driver.

A very useful tip I picked up many years ago: to hold that little orifice in a regular nut driver or socket, tear a very small piece of paper towel, hold it over the open socket, then push the orifice into the socket. The paper does a great job of holding the orifice into the wrench, preventing its being dropped into the 'innards' of the range.

The installation instructions that come with your range will usually be pretty clear on which orifices go into each burner head. Many new cook tops use as many as three different sized burners, each with a different BTU rating and orifice size. I usually start by laying the correct orifice beside its corresponding burner, just to be sure I get them right the first time. Again, the instructions should be clear on this. Some use a color code system, while others use size numbers. (Note to manufacturers: here's another area that needs a standardized system!)

One detail that's commonly overlooked on these is the simmer settings. Each top burner valve has a small screw inside its shaft that can be adjusted to provide a low simmer. This adjustment must be made on each burner once the range has been converted, or 'simmer' settings will be far too high to be useful.

A small-bladed screwdriver is needed for most of these. If you can't find one small enough, it's possible to grind one down to fit. I've noticed some of the most recent ranges are using a larger screw that's a lot easier to access, and that's a welcome change.

That should help get you through the top burner conversion. Not as hard as it sounds, and stay with us -the rest is much easier.

First convert the regulator. This is the part to which the inlet connects. Remove the vent cap, flip the insert over and reinsert it (You'll usually see 'NAT' on one side and 'LP' on the other). Reinstall the cap, and that's done.

Then, find the brass orifice that supplies the bake burner (usually under the range, behind the drawer), and if included, the broil burner (usually inside the oven). These are adjustable, and, like adjustable top burners, are simply 'snugged' down clockwise with a 1/2 inch wrench.

Then turn the oven on, keeping in mind that it may take up to 2 minutes for ignition to occur. Watch the burner flame. If, after burning for a minute or so, it pulls noisily away from the burner, it's getting too much primary air. Simply loosen the screw on the air shutter, where you just turned down the orifice, and close this shutter down a bit to reduce air into the mixture. If the flame is yellow-tipped and appears 'soft' (you'll know if you see it), open the shutter a bit to increase air into the mix. This adjustment isn't critical, and will rarely have to be done. But you should now about it. Again, the instructions should mention this.

Congratulations! Your new stove's flames should be a cheerful, even blue, and you just saved yourself some serious money.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
natural or LP

Many new ranges can ship already set up for LP from the manufactuer. Most of the stoves we have looked at give the buyer the option of how they want the stove set up when shipped. The stove that we will be bringing will be set up at the factory for LP. Where we live now (foothills west of Denver) we have used LP until about 2 years ago when Natural gas finally arrived here.

Bob K

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Snuffy said:
Allow me to revisit this topic. I found a gas stove in the USA that I would like to purchase. Now for you who have recently been through the process of bringing a gas stove here...what changes need to be made to it and what at what cost?

Thanks.

When you take in the hassle factor and the cost of shipping, why wouldn't you buy one here?

What is so special about the one you want from the USA?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Recommendation

Buy here.

There is guarantee/warranty on appliances sold here. There is an ample supply of service and parts for the products sold here. Products purchased offshore their guarantee/warranty is invalid in the D.R., and parts may be hard to find or match locally.

Regards,
PJT

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Stoves In The DR......10 Years Of Experience!

I have had 3 stoves in 10 years! Never underestimate the power of a Dominican to destroy a stove!(An "aside",forget the "simmer" setting,it will NEVER be used here in the DR,unless YOU cook! Dominicans only use the "HIGH" setting as they like everything "overcooked")
It goes like this: The "cook" will only use the high setting.Everything will boil over onto the stove top and burners.She will continue to cook until whatever has burned into a mass of carbonized cement on top of the stove!
("Orientals" take pride in cooking a pot of rice until it is cooked to perfection.Dominicans take pride in cooking a pot of rice until it is burned into the bottom of the pan! this "Con Con" will later be eaten like a "ricechip"!)She will then use a combination of "Steel Wool" and "other" abrasives until the metal shows through the porceline finish of the stove.On "Stove Cleaning Day"She will remove the burners(doesn't matter if you have the "so-called" sealed burners,my maid was so proud that she was able to "un-stick" the burners in my stove,and remove those "Wires" too!)SS000000000oooo,that was pretty much the end of my beautiful "Maytag" stove!
I agree with Robert,buy your stove here.Buy a "Dominicanized" stove.The burners come apart by just lifting them off the stove top.They have parts available on every streetcorner.They can be repaired very easily and cheaply.And,the maids can boil the "Pi$$" out of everything their heart desires,clean the burners,and put them back as good as new!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Solution

Criss Colon said:
I have had 3 stoves in 10 years! Never underestimate the power of a Dominican to destroy a stove!(An "aside",forget the "simmer" setting,it will NEVER be used here in the DR,unless YOU cook! Dominicans only use the "HIGH" setting as they like everything "overcooked")
It goes like this: The "cook" will only use the high setting.Everything will boil over onto the stove top and burners.She will continue to cook until whatever has burned into a mass of carbonized cement on top of the stove!
("Orientals" take pride in cooking a pot of rice until it is cooked to perfection.Dominicans take pride in cooking a pot of rice until it is burned into the bottom of the pan! this "Con Con" will later be eaten like a "ricechip"!)She will then use a combination of "Steel Wool" and "other" abrasives until the metal shows through the porceline finish of the stove.On "Stove Cleaning Day"She will remove the burners(doesn't matter if you have the "so-called" sealed burners,my maid was so proud that she was able to "un-stick" the burners in my stove,and remove those "Wires" too!)SS000000000oooo,that was pretty much the end of my beautiful "Maytag" stove!
I agree with Robert,buy your stove here.Buy a "Dominicanized" stove.The burners come apart by just lifting them off the stove top.They have parts available on every streetcorner.They can be repaired very easily and cheaply.And,the maids can boil the "Pi$$" out of everything their heart desires,clean the burners,and put them back as good as new!

DON'T LET THEM TOUCH YOUR STOVE !!!!
The one thing that I will personally take care of are my stove and cooking stuff. No one touches them.......

Bob K

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Criss Colon said:
I've had the same experiences. When my wife came to the US, we had a brand new Jenn Air stove. She would always cook on high, letting the pot boil over. After three months, the stovetop looked like it was 30 yeas old. It was the same routine with our Dominican housekeeper.

But I have to admit, the bottom of the pot, if eaten before it cooled, tasted great!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
well you have to teach them just like you have to teach them everything else.

Robert, yes you are probably correct about buying here. My circumstance is a little unique and that makes it smart to buy this stove and have it shipped here. There will be people shipping all of their households here, including a stove, and thus I thought this info. would be beneficial.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you can ship it down cheaply, then why not.

I must admit, this has been a pretty funny thread, thanks CC :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh Snuffy lad, you have so much to learn

"Teach Them"???? Fat chance.
Since I can identify with each and every point made in this very funny (and educational ) thread, let me tell you some things.

B!tch, yell, calmly teach all you want but here are a few things you will not change.

1) Cans can be opened with you best knives--yeah those Chefs Knives you paid $90 dollars for at the Gourmet Kitchen Store.
2) Pork chops and frozen meats can be trimmed with your best Chef's knives, too.
2a) Your best silverware is good for cooking and peeling platanos, and especially for cracking ice cubes and scrapping "con-con" from the rice pot, and your best china is fine for serving food to the Haitian workers that asked for a plate of food.....
3) The strainers in the sink are a pain in the butt so let them get lost!!
4) "Simmer" is truly an unknown quality....
5) Fridges are to remain open as long as possible so as to save the effort of opening and closing during the cooking process. All fridges are "enemies" and to be treated with fear and towels around the handles.
6) Stoves are to be cleaned with steel wool of the largest diameter-the rougher, the better. Cleanup is maybe a weekly event.
7) Cleaning the bottom of a pan or plate is entirely random at best
8) Recipes? What for? By Guess and By God!
9) "I didn't do it" is the standard reply to everything missing or broken. In Spanish, this leads to a favorite saying of mine: "En mi casa, nadie tiene un culito! ?Porqu?? Porque, "no fui yo, no fui yo"!!

I am sure there are more...

HB :p:p:p

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Our Little ACROS stove....

This little stove has been great. After three years it still looks like new. I have purchased a couple other brands for family and friends and these people have reported back how these stoves have had one problem after another. Of course, upon visiting their home and seeing how they have abused the item...I understand.

Back to the ACROS. If I were purchasing a stove here I would purchase an ACROS...one with six burners with the shelf over the center row burners....price is about 12000 pesos here in Santiago. But this does not display oven temp.. I don't know if it has an oven light. Both of which could be easily added.

I just so happen to have an opportunity to purchase a very nice GE stove at a great price and so am probably going to do this.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Hillbilly, funny that you should respond. As I was typing that I thought...now Hillbilly is going to see this differently. I had remembered the story about your breaking the knife in half.

Hillbilly said:
"Teach Them"???? Fat chance.
Since I can identify with each and every point made in theis very funny (and educational ) thread, let me tell you some things.

B!tch, yell, calmly teah all you want but here are a few things you will not change.

1) Cans can be opened with you best knives--yeah those Chefs Knives you paid $90 dollars for at the Gourmet Kitchen Store.
2) Pork chops and frozen meats can be trimmed with your best Chef's knives, too.
2a) Your best silverware is good for cooking and peeling platanos, and especially for cracking ice cubes and scrapping "con-con" from the rice pot, and your best china is fine for serving food to the Haitian workers that asked for a plate of food.....
3) The strainers in the sink are a pain in the butt so let them get lost!!
4) "Simmer" is truly an unknown quality....
5) Fridges are to remain open as long as possible so as to save the effort of opening and closing during the cooking process. All fridges are "enemies" and to be treated with fear and towels around the handles.
6) Stoves are to be cleaned with steel wool of the largest diameter-the rougher, the better. Cleanup is maybe a weekly event.
7) Cleaning the bottom of a pan or plate is entirely random at best
8) Recipes? What for? By Guess and By God!
9) "I didn't do it" is the standard reply to everything missing or broken. In Spanish, this leads to a favorite saying of mine: "En mi casa, nadie tiene un culito! ?Porqu?? Porque, "no fui yo, no fui yo"!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hillbilly said:

Yes! Yes! My addition would be non-stick pans.

And as far as the OP-
One would have thought that a General Electric brand stove would last a few years. Either they make a cheapo range to sell to countries like the DR, or.... put it this way - within a couple of years part of the stove top has actually worn through the enamel and metal. The burners all rotted away, and the replacements don't fit properly. There is one burner we don't use because it's hanging on a thread due to the afore-mentioned crater, and out of the remaining three one is always leaking too much gas for me to use it confident of living to see another day.

In contrast, my stove in the UK is still going strong 12 years after it was purchased.

Chiri's Mothers Day wish list:
-One non-stick pan
-One new cooker
-A good chopping knife
and
-A maximum security vault to keep them in ;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ever Notice What The Guys Who Sell Fruits & Veggies Out Of a Horsedrawn Cart Use

to increase the capacity of their cart and keep everything from falling out???
Those of us who live here know.Wire shelves from old refrigerators & stoves!!!Must be a LOT of them available cheap!Not "That Old" either!!!On my second "Fridge" in 10 years too!My first one was a "Maytag",that only lasted 5 "tears" :cry: I mean years! ;) I then bought a "LG" that costs less and I thought it might be a better idea for here.No such luck.I gave up "super glueing" the handle back on two years ago.My last fridge in the US lasted twenty years and was still going strong when I left!
I HAVE become somewhat "Dominicanized" in that what I once would have described as a "Piece-Of-Junk" I know see as "Looks OK to Me"!THis applies to almost any thing that you can buy,a house,car,"Electro-domesticos"you name it! Especially to painting my house!
Just wait until your maid uses her stove cleaning techniques on your brand new refrigerator!Or should I say "EX Maid"! Or the glass doors in your new shower enclosure,or the "teflon" pan I bought to use ONLY for crepes,or sets one of the "Molten" pans right off the stove on top of the plastic top to your food processer!!! What do they do with the drawer pulls I brought from the US for all the drawers and cupboards in my kitchen when they get loose anyway???I saved what MAY be the best for last.My friend came home to find the maid,"Hechando Agua" in the kitchen("Hechando Agua" is a Dominican cleaning method where by you throw water at the highest point in a room, by the bucket load,and work your way down with many more buckets of water!") Well,his maid was using the garden hose to "Hecha Agua" in his kitchen,paying particular attention to the inside of the refridgerator,stove,and micro-wave!!!! :eek:
I do have a ways to go before I am completely Dominicanized.I went to visit a Dominican friend who owns what would have to be considered a "Mansion".It is a bit run down but still very inpressive.In his master suite,the ceiling fan has fallen from it's base and hangs by it's wires.A bird has built it's nest in the hole in the ceiling where the fan should be,and flies in and out of the bedroom through a broken wooden slat in the shutter.He really doesnt seem to notice!Now THAT Ladies and Gentlemen is being fully "Dominicanized"!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I forgot to add how

My brilliant guy decided to wash my herb processor. Total immersion was his solution...Same with a blender.....

This is the guy that cleaned some bird doo off of the hood of my Jimmy with steel wool.....you know, Brillo Verde?????

:(:(:(:(

HB

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I hope...

that Criss and Hillbilly are making-up some of this stuff, otherwise I won't be hiring anyone for anything, if and when I get my wife to agree to consider moving there in a few years. Luckily I'm a self-taught Jack-of-all-trades and believer of self sufficiency. Very funny though, and I can totally see the bird's nest in the bedroom.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry to say

None of what I posted was made up.

Just two hours ago I found "Cook" using a silver serving spoon to fry bacon....

HB :(:(

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hillbilly said:
This is the guy that cleaned some bird doo off of the hood of my Jimmy with steel wool.....you know, Brillo Verde?????

:(:(:(:(

HB

I had a guy do the same with my seasoned Wok!

He never did it again :)

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Stay out

I think I will put a chain an lock on the kitchen door. Actually can you pay a maid less if she does not do any of the cooking. Or maybe the solution will be to have a second kitchen for her to use with her own pots pans and stuff??

Bob K