Hi everyone,

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
i havent posted in a while.............but now that classes are over i can have a bit of a life again.

My question today is, how hard is it to get a job at the US Embassy in DR.
Also, how much would a salary be.
I've always thought that if i go and live in the DR i can always maybe get a job there.

Janet/nj

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
The embassy posts vacancies usually on their website, but be prepared they look for people with not only experiences but well documented education etc-
So look or call the Ministry of Foreign affairs in your country.

To think " you can always maybe get a job there", would be dreaming in my opinion though.. Staff is not many, and qualification, backround in work in homecountry, matters alot for works at any embassy anywhere in the world.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
carina said:
The embassy posts vacancies usually on their website, but be prepared they look for people with not only experiences but well documented education etc-

To think " you can always maybe get a job there", would be dreaming in my opinion though.. Staff is not many, and qualification, backround in work in homecountry, matters alot for works at any embassy anywhere in the world.
Also, for all jobs posted there are two salary ranges. One for Americans and another for non-Americans. They only hire an American for the job (at the higher pay rate) if they are required to because of security rating or preferential hiring status i.e. family of posted diplomats, family of military, etc.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I always thought that work at any US Embassy was part of the Foreign Service

and required exams and lots of training.

But you can try, I suppose.

HB :(

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
carina said:

Also, for all jobs posted there are two salary ranges. One for Americans and another for non-Americans. They only hire an American for the job (at the higher pay rate) if they are required to because of security rating or preferential hiring status i.e. family of posted diplomats, family of military, etc.
Also, the U.S. doesn't have Ministrys. you want to check with the Department of State.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
HOWMAR said:
Also, the U.S. doesn't have Ministrys. you want to check with the Department of State.

Ok, I didn?t know that for the US, I just wrote "ministry" as being used to it.. But you got my point.. It is not just "coming here and get a job at the embassy" for anyone.
All over the world at any embassy, what locals can handle in the specific country, they do and are hired to do so.
Other positions is of course employees from respective country, and that is where very specific, documented education, years of experience etc comes in.

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Working at the embassy

Thank you everyone for all your help.
any other suggestions as far as working in the DR......i am a US citizen.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
JANET/NJ said:

As everywhere else citizenship is not the most important.
Important is what you?re good at, where your skills are and your experience.
Education, do you speak Spanish etc etc

Depending on that, there might be work out there, or you would need to move here an look while here. All depends on what kind of work you are looking for.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
JANET/NJ said:
Hey, Janet How are you, and may I say you look beautiful, sexy and stunning in those jeans :nervous: anyway...ah I lived there last year in 2004 for a year, getting a job was easy, especially if you are in the capital, the place to go is in La Zona Franca's or the one I was in which was in San Isidro, there are some American based companies there, in Dominican standard's the pay is execptional, but if you look at it in dollar form
you are going to need a large supply of PROZAK! just look at it for what it is the PESO...don't look at it any other way! there was alot of good things and bad things, understand some companies out there get away with alot of unusual practices which I won't go into details at this time, but you are going to realize that you are somewhere other then the U.S. very fast, some can adapt to it, some like me and my sister could not!! But this I will never forget I met the most talented and most dedicated people I ever seen, I made many awesome friends dominican's and Haitian's alike, many who spoke perfect english and never stepped one foot in the States, and they respected you for who you were, and what you knew as an intellectual, I enjoyed being more at work then being outside, and you are going to know why I felt that way...there was nothing like being around motivated and open-minded people on a daily bases..that's what I miss the most..if you find a place of work like this, you will be fine!! anyway I'll be at your house by 8:00 pm sharp have dinner ready ok..I'll be starving!! ;) MAN those jeans look good on you..oh well take care. :nervous: