Computer Hard drives

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
For all you Computer types, my brother-in-law wants me to bring him a 120gb hard drive. He says they cost approx $5000 rd in Santiago. Not being a computer person, will any hard drive fit in in any Computer. I belive he has a HP PAVILLION. Here i can get a seagate barracuda for $100 Canadian or a Samsung spinpoint SP2014N 200 GB for $130. ADVICE please.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
A suggestion would be to get the specifications of your brother's computer and go to your computer supply store and ask for assistance. Good names are Maxtor and Seagate.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I assume that we are talking about a PC and not a laptop, in which case almost any hard drive will fit, as long as the mother board supports it.
That is to say some older PC's may only permit a 40 gig hard drive, or less.
Wud's suggestion to get a high speed (7,200 rpm) drive is an excellent idea.
Too many people think that only the ram and the processor affect the speed of the PC, whereas a high speed hard drive makes all the difference in the world.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
bob saunders said:
For all you Computer types, my brother-in-law wants me to bring him a 120gb hard drive. He says they cost approx $5000 rd in Santiago. Not being a computer person, will any hard drive fit in in any Computer. I belive he has a HP PAVILLION. Here i can get a seagate barracuda for $100 Canadian or a Samsung spinpoint SP2014N 200 GB for $130. ADVICE please.

SATA drives on fit in computers with SATA connections. ATA drives fit in the rest. They are almost ubiquitous though depending on the age and the operating system drives over certain sizes won't work.

If he wants 120 GB find out ATA or SATA and buy on price -they are all similar in quality thogh I had a few bad Maxtor's this year. Don't buy 200GB if you are not sure the computer can address drives that large.