More Parlors closed...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I hope this is part of a continuing effort and not just a short-term thing.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Ken said:
I hope this is part of a continuing effort and not just a short-term thing.
Yes just like the helmet law. Enforced 1 day out of 30 every month. How transparent is this?

Personally I think this should just be put in one area of the city and allowed.

Red light district is the answer in my opinion.

Escott

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Ken...I think they are very serious about this. The first round of places that were closed are still closed. The buildings are posted with signs from the Fiscal and soldiers are guarding in front. It has been this way for about 2 months now.

I agree with EScott. And I don't blame the people in the residential areas for pushing for these closings. If I lived next to one and was raising children I would have a big problem with it.

Scandall

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Imo

There is no way that this is about anything but money. We can expect to see general crack-downs on many types of businesses at least untill the next congressional elections and most likely afterwards as well.

Businesses that are easy to attack with little or no evidence (like massage parlors) will be first and more mainstream businesses will follow if no significant public outcry is raised. (my guess is none will)

The supreme court has already determined and announced that prostitution is both legal and socially tolerable in the DR (didn't need to mention it was rampant and impossible to prevent) these centers are being closed on the basis of anti-pimping laws, the heavy handed police actions are being justified on the basis of drugs and sex toys allegedly being found on the premises.

All of you puritans who think it is wonderful to see the DR government finally doing something about prostitution need to do the following:

1) Take notice of how many prostitutes are now plying their wares in malls, parks and stoplights since these crackdowns began - is this something you want to see more of? You will.

2) Remember none of these cases have been to trial yet, all we have so far as reference is the various government agencies justification for their actions. This is by its very nature almost certain to be exaggerated, one-sided and UNPROVEN yet these accounts are being treated as gospel by the press and public alike.

3) Remember that these shakedowns are being done FOR THE MONEY, and as such, if they are successful will soon widen in scope and sccop up anyone who is unlikely to be able to defend himself AND THIS INCLUDES MOST/ALL EXPATS.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
You must all know that the DR government accepted funding for an important health program sponsored by the U.N. (we're talking here a hefty grant) and one of the stipulated contractual conditions for disbursement was the closing of the aforesaid 'massage parlors'. Although the closings are not legal, just goes to show that these outlets don't generate enough business to pay for costly litigation.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Mirador said:
You must all know that the DR government accepted funding for an important health program sponsored by the U.N. (we're talking here a hefty grant) and one of the stipulated contractual conditions for disbursement was the closing of the aforesaid 'massage parlors'. Although the closings are not legal, just goes to show that these outlets don't generate enough business to pay for costly litigation.

Is this documented anywhere? I would be interested in seeing a link to more info on this agreement.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Good point Mirador. You're probably right. Hefty grants never come without strings. Even if the parlors weren't a major cause of any great health issue it doesn't matter. Perception is reality and prostitution is never good for public relations.

You also hit the nail on the head about money. Obviously none of these owners were bringing in tons of cash because nobody has yet to make a defense...or at least a strong one.

The funny part is that some major places on Independencia (ex. Remington Palace) are still open. Perhaps it is because they are not located in residential neighborhoods and/or close to schools. Or perhaps they have the money to stay open.

MRMike is also right. Now all of these "ladies" will be looking for customers in public. Not good for the DR's image.

Apr 26, 2002
Mirador said:
You must all know that the DR government accepted funding for an important health program sponsored by the U.N. (we're talking here a hefty grant) and one of the stipulated contractual conditions for disbursement was the closing of the aforesaid 'massage parlors'.
Well, those who said it was all about money were right. Just not the kind of money that they were thinking of. Lord save us from the NGOs and the unintended consequences of their idiotic actions.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Mirador said:

I kind a guess this was the case after reading an article about Brazil rejecting similar funding because of the anti-prostitution stipulation.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
xamaicano said:
I kind a guess this was the case after reading an article about Brazil rejecting similar funding because of the anti-prostitution stipulation.
Do you remember where you read the article? (It would be great if you could provide a link). I'm curious as to what kind of funding the UN would tie to prostitution. I usually don't think of the UN as the morals police.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You Don't Eradicate Prostitution,You Only Re-Locate It!

If you read the comments by the readers of the newspaper article,they are 5 to 1 against the closings.Make that 6 to 1 if you count mine!(Cris Colon)
By the way,"Casa Modelo" is NOT a "massage Parlor" but a "Whore House"!I always take visiting friends there for the quality of the "Ladies".With all these closings,I must make a "PU$$Y RUN" soon to see how it has afected the "Market" price.Maybe the 400 pesos I give is too high!!!!! :cry:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Expanding on your cited statistics

6 guys in favor 1 religious lady against!

Criss Colon said:
If you read the comments by the readers of the newspaper article,they are 5 to 1 against the closings.Make that 6 to 1 if you count mine!(Cris Colon)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Anyway, the report from Brazil does not quite relate to what's happened in the DR. According to the BBC article I linked to in my previous post, it is about USAID funds (Porfi - note this is not an NGO but a most definitely governmental aid agency) for AIDS prevention being conditional on the country not 'promoting prostitution' or 'treating prostitutes'. Their approach to AIDS prevention includes encouraging abstinence rather than condom use. :cross-eye

Equally pointless as, and much worse than closing down massage parlours, IMO.

Correspondents say references to prostitution are likely to become a condition for all US Aids funding.

Washington says it is important not to promote prostitution, and does not want any of its funds to be spent on treating prostitutes.

US President George Bush has allocated $15bn to the worldwide fight against Aids.

Much of the spending is being channelled to programmes that advocate abstinence, rather than condom use, and cannot be used for abortions or to treat prostitutes.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
the straight dope

MrMike said:
There is no way that this is about anything but money. We can expect to see general crack-downs on many types of businesses at least untill the next congressional elections and most likely afterwards as well.

Businesses that are easy to attack with little or no evidence (like massage parlors) will be first and more mainstream businesses will follow if no significant public outcry is raised. (my guess is none will)

The supreme court has already determined and announced that prostitution is both legal and socially tolerable in the DR (didn't need to mention it was rampant and impossible to prevent) these centers are being closed on the basis of anti-pimping laws, the heavy handed police actions are being justified on the basis of drugs and sex toys allegedly being found on the premises.

All of you puritans who think it is wonderful to see the DR government finally doing something about prostitution need to do the following:

1) Take notice of how many prostitutes are now plying their wares in malls, parks and stoplights since these crackdowns began - is this something you want to see more of? You will.

2) Remember none of these cases have been to trial yet, all we have so far as reference is the various government agencies justification for their actions. This is by its very nature almost certain to be exaggerated, one-sided and UNPROVEN yet these accounts are being treated as gospel by the press and public alike.

3) Remember that these shakedowns are being done FOR THE MONEY, and as such, if they are successful will soon widen in scope and sccop up anyone who is unlikely to be able to defend himself AND THIS INCLUDES MOST/ALL EXPATS.

Mr. Mike is quite right. There is another reason this "crackdown" won't likely hold water. Most of these places are owned by military officers. That says it all. It is a political struggle with the goal of controlling a profitable business. By the way, a certain legal official with close ties to the "crackdown" is rumored by highly reliable sources to have been an inveterate and avid client of of the places he is closing. Pa'que sepa.

Apr 26, 2002
Chirimoya said:
Anyway, the report from Brazil does not quite relate to what's happened in the DR. According to the BBC article I linked to in my previous post, it is about USAID funds (Porfi - note this is not an NGO but a most definitely governmental aid agency) for AIDS prevention being conditional on the country not 'promoting prostitution' or 'treating prostitutes'. Their approach to AIDS prevention includes encouraging abstinence rather than condom use.
Chiri, of course many NGOs are not evil. I should have said "present company extremely excluded". And, unfortunately, it doesn't suprise me that this all ties back to Bush and the good ole' USA.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have absolutely no doubt certain aid agencies are putting "lots" of pressure on the government here. UNICEF and ECPAT come to mind.

You want aid, USA loans etc, then guess what....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
ECPAT - who they?

If the pressure is about the funds going to what they were intended for as opposed to jeepetas and helicopters for the boys - I have no problem with that.

Unfortunately there are times when the donor does not even bother to apply its own conditions - and the results are there for all to see.

Imposing absurd 'moral' standards is one thing. Requiring that the recipient spend the money according to the guidelines and agreement is another.

They can always say no to the donation, as Brazil quite rightly did.