Thanks for a wonderful ordinary Sunday

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I read a comment from Ladybird in another thread, about being in UK for a week, and so longing back HOME..
About many people just living in the country of the Dominicans, instead of living with them.
After that I took a little break and sat down on my patio, and was thinking...
Yes, there is really so much to be thankful about, living here.

Today has been a truly ordinary Sunday for me, and yet there are many small things that comes to mind. That makes this little spot HOME.

Thanks Ladybird for reminding me!

I woke up early this morning, opened the patio doors and the air was fresh and clean after the rain the last days.. The street as clean as ever...
The sky was high, Isabel de Torres was proud not be covered by clouds..

A few mugs of fresh Dominican coffee... Love it!

My dog is happy I am awake, almost dancing around me... my son is asleep of course.. He is 14 and LOVES to sleep..
I am so thankful for him .. What a great guy..
This is home for him too. Many friends that loves him for whom he is, he makes no difference of color of skin, of poor or rich..
When he first came here and they called him "gringo" he replied to them the same way depending on where they came from.. and told them he has a name..
He is great in school, he has no problems with the languages, he is a monster in basketball.. and a computer and music freak..
He is a youngster with the teenage look in his eyes, not an adult and not a child.
And I am sincerely thankful he is in my life..

I took a long walk in the morning with my dog, the rain had passed and I wanted to go out. We went out on Antera Mota, passed Central Park and walked along the Malecon to the Puntilla, back on Kennedy and Duarte...
On the way I got company of the man who is a guide at the fortress, the old man is the son of the late architect Arthur Roderick. He is "responsible" for many of the beautiful houses in Puerto Plata, including the one in Central Park.
This man always have lots of stories, a mixture of tale and truth.. and I listen eagerly.. I am thankful that he takes the time to tell me about his childhood, about people he have met, about his father and about life in general..
The wind was heavy and the ocean was really awake.. a nice feeling!

Back home, Leo, my neighbour, gives me alots of mangos, I make fresh juice ready the same moment my son and a friend of his that stayed over woke up..
The kids wanted pancakes with jam for breakfast, and I sent my son over to Leo with a few as well... Leo LOVES Swiss pancakes.. They are Swedish, thin pancakes, but it makes no difference. To Leo they are "Swiss" and I don?t mind...
Happy you liked them Leo, and ask for it anytime!

I went to Tropical to get some things I forgot yesterday and the cashier stops me and ask me if I lost something yesterday. I reply to her that either I lost my mind or 510 pesos. I was sure I had 3000 in my pocket, bought stuff for 490 and came back with 2000... It crossed my mind, but I was sure I missed to count something I bought elsewhere..
This girl took the money home that had fallen out of my pocket I think, and saved it to give me the next time I came.
Being ripped off as Ladybird said happens sometime.. I agree it does of course, and the opposite happens too! That, Ladybird, I think was your point, and here is the proof!

I am also thankful to Sofia, my other neighbour for letting me use her washing mashine today. My motor burned, and not being able to fix this on a Sunday, she helped my out! Gracias!

Thank you Marisa and Bea, my friends, for just stopping by to say hello and have some coffee. Friends are the most valuable thing in the world.

Also thank you to Eduardo who was worried about our Puerto Rican old ladies who was out of money. Eduardo came in the early afternoon, collecting some for them. He excused himself and said he don?t have so much to give on his own, but figured if everyone on the street gives 20 pesos, they will have 200 pesos and will be safe until tomorrow when a daughter arrives from the capital.
Isn?t that sweet? This man, in his brades, newest style in clothes always... and with a heart of gold..

I worked a few hours today too, and almost finished the new version of Freestyle Catamarans that we will soon launge. Thanks Mike for the good and smooth coperation. There are so many great people I work with!
I am thankful for that too!

Even an ordinary Sunday when it seems I have done about nothing, there is still so much to be thankful for. I truly love to call this home, and it is, in all shapes and forms.

So yes, Ladybird! This is HOME.

Last edited:

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Spot on Carina, Its 2.15am here now and I still cant sleep thinking about Tuesday when I return. I hope you have bought me some beans as a welcome home pressie. I havent stocked my case with them.... but somehow I ve still reached 35kilos. Usually its overweight with beans!!
Thats lots of dosh at the airport here in UK for penalties, but I dont care. Just to be there, have a coffee for me.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Ladybird said:
Spot on Carina, Its 2.15am here now and I still cant sleep thinking about Tuesday when I return. I hope you have bought me some beans as a welcome home pressie. I havent stocked my case with them.... but somehow I ve still reached 35kilos. Usually its overweight with beans!!
Thats lots of dosh at the airport here in UK for penalties, but I dont care. Just to be there, have a coffee for me.

Just relax... everything is here... just as when you left the island!
The beautiful nature, the noisy motochonchos, the beans and the rice,
the music, the smiles of people with golden hearts and the coffee!!!
Patience... you know, this little needed talent we develop by living here!!!
Use it! ;)

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ladybird has a huge house on the hill with a million dollar view. Ladybird is living her dream life in her beautiful house with a swimming pool and all the comfort she can buy with her money. 2 thumbs up for ladybird.
AZB

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Thank you AZBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB, but Ive just sold it, for 3 times what I paid a year ago, isnt real estate great!!!! Ive moved into one of my apartments in Cabarete. But Im looking for a smaller house in between Sosua and Cabarete. I miss Sosua and the folks there, its like a little village. Cabarete has no soul, its just for tourists. But my office is there so I need something nearer. Its a bit sad letting go of the house, youve seen the beauty. (including myself of course) :tired: But I dont care where I live as long as it is in the DR

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Just go girl.. and live the dream... that?s what it is all about...
;)

Ladybird said:
Thank you AZBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB, but Ive just sold it, for 3 times what I paid a year ago, isnt real estate great!!!! Ive moved into one of my apartments in Cabarete. But Im looking for a smaller house in between Sosua and Cabarete. I miss Sosua and the folks there, its like a little village. Cabarete has no soul, its just for tourists. But my office is there so I need something nearer. Its a bit sad letting go of the house, youve seen the beauty. (including myself of course) :tired: But I dont care where I live as long as it is in the DR