First european visitor

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
I was wondering what is the exact spot that San Christobal came to shore?

Can't find the location on the web

Greetings

Johan

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Hmmmmmmmmmm. I don't know why, but this just hit me as funny.... I really don't know where he did, but I would assume that it would be in San Cristobal......west of Santo Domingo....

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
That would be WRONG!

First landing and settlement was established in La Isabella......
which is on the north coast not far from Luperon.
Excavations have been carried out at the site (altho' Trujillo had the site bulldozed into the sea during his "reign"!) and there is a church there that was built for the Pope's visit during the 500 yr. celebrations.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Jezzzzzzzzzz..............

:tired: I don't know why I didnt' know.....it's close to us here in POP and I've even been there!.................

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
the issue is still unresoved, just like Chris Columbus' final resting place. According to prestigious archaeologists, there's a place near Ouanaminthe which seems the most probably place, but don't tell that to the Dominicans ;-)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Monte Cristi was the first landing

The first landing was in Monte Cristi in the year of 1492.
First he founded the provisionary settlement La Navidad and gave the island the name Hispanola/la Espanola to honor the country of Spain.
In 1493 the settlement of Isabella ( in honor of the Spanish queen, Isabel/Ysabel who was financing the voyage ) was established, and in 1497 the brother founded La Nueva Isabella on the South Coast ( later:Santo Domingo ). ;)

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let's get this right, okay?

First off, San Cristobal has little or nothing to do with the Admiral of the same name. The Saint was, before the revisions of Vatican II, the Patron saint of all travellers--as witnessed by the many statues and medallions on sunvisors and dashboards all over the US, in particular.

The first landfall that the Admiral made on the island now called Hispa?ola was near what is now Cap Haitian. The wreakage salvaged from the Santa Mar?a was used to make an improvised fort, called Navidad because of the feastday. It was peopled by those crew members that could not fit on the Pinta or the Ni?a. According to excavations at the site they lived a harsh existance until their poor manners caused the locals to wipe them out

FYI, these were very small caravels, perhaps, according to some estimates less than 70 feet.

From there, he worked his way eastward, against the tradwinds, noticing El Morro and dropping anchor at what is now known as La Isabela, at the mouth of the Bajabonico River to replenish water supplies. He looked into Luper?n Bay, making favorable comments in his journal, but the one he really liked was POP Bay. He said that the bay could hold the entire Spanish fleet. Because of the stong headwinds the Admiral continued eastward for a few more days before heading north towards the lattitudes of North Carolina and the winds that would take him back to Portugal and Spain.

On his second trip he established a town at La Isabela and erected buildings there. The first Mass was said there on January 6th. You can still see where the stones for the town were cut for transport to the site. The quarry is right there next to the road..

HB :D

I probably should have checked my sources, but off the top of my head, this is what I have.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
You have the story ok..

Hillbilly said:
First off, San Cristobal has little or nothing to do with the Admiral of the same name. The Saint was, before the revisions of Vatican II, the Patron saint of all travellers--as witnessed by the many statues and medallions on sunvisors and dashboards all over the US, in particular.

The first landfall that the Admiral made on the island now called Hispa?ola was near what is now Cap Haitian. The wreakage salvaged from the Santa Mar?a was used to make an improvised fort, called Navidad because of the feastday. It was peopled by those crew members that could not fit on the Pinta or the Ni?a. According to excavations at the site they lived a harsh existance until their poor manners caused the locals to wipe them out

FYI, these were very small caravels, perhaps, according to some estimates less than 70 feet.

From there, he worked his way eastward, against the tradwinds, noticing El Morro and dropping anchor at what is now known as La Isabela, at the mouth of the Bajabonico River to replenish water supplies. He looked into Luper?n Bay, making favorable comments in his journal, but the one he really liked was POP Bay. He said that the bay could hold the entire Spanish fleet. Because of the stong headwinds the Admiral continued eastward for a few more days before heading north towards the lattitudes of North Carolina and the winds that would take him back to Portugal and Spain.

On his second trip he established a town at La Isabela and erected buildings there. The first Mass was said there on January 6th. You can still see where the stones for the town were cut for transport to the site. The quarry is right there next to the road..

HB :D

I probably should have checked my sources, but off the top of my head, this is what I have.

The first voyage was 1492-1493, and the second voyage was 1493-1496.
On the second voyage Isabella was founded.

The first voyage started from Spain (port of Palos in South Spain ) Aug 3 1492. He visited Canary Islands, Bahamas and Cuba before arriving to what today is the Dominican Republic.

While sailing north of Cuba on November 22, Mart?n Alonso Pinz?n, captain of the Pinta, left the other two ships without permission and sailed on his own in search of an island called "Babeque," where he had been told by his native guides that there was much gold. Columbus continued with the Santa Maria and Ni?a eastward, and arrived at Hispaniola on December 5.

The flagship Santa Maria grounded on a reef on Christmas Eve and sank the next day. Columbus used the remains of the ship to build a fort on shore, which he named La Navidad (Christmas). But the tiny Ni?a could not hold all of the remaining crew, so Columbus was forced to leave about 40 men at La Navidad to await his return from Spain. Columbus departed from La Navidad on January 2, 1493.

Now down to just one ship, Columbus continued eastward along the coast of Hispaniola, and was surprised when he came upon the Pinta on January 6. Columbus's anger at Pinz?n was eased by his relief at having another ship for his return to Spain.

The two ships departed Hispaniola from Samana Bay (in the modern Dominican Republic) on January 16, but were again separated by a fierce storm in the North Atlantic on February 14; Columbus and Pinz?n each believed that the other had perished. Columbus sighted the island of Santa Maria in the Azores the next day. After a run-in with the local governor, he arrived at Lisbon on March 4, and finally made it back to his home port of Palos on March 15, 1493.

Meanwhile, Pinz?n and the Pinta had missed the Azores and arrived at the port of Bayona in northern Spain. After a stop to repair the damaged ship, the Pinta limped into Palos just hours after the Ni?a. Pinz?n had expected to be proclaimed a hero, but the honor had already been given to Columbus. Pinz?n died a few days later.

On his second trip he arrived to Hispanola on November 22.
Returning to his fortress at Navidad on November 28, Columbus found that the fort had been burned and that the men he had left there on the first voyage were dead.
According to the account of Guacanagari, the local chief who had befriended Columbus on the first voyage, the men at Navidad had fallen to arguing among themselves over women and gold.
Some of the men had abandonded the fort in the intervening months, and some of the rest had raided an inland tribe and kidnapped their women.
The men of that tribe retaliated by destroying Navidad and killing the few remaining Spaniards.

Columbus then sailed eastward along the coast of Hispaniola, looking for a place to found a new colony. On December 8, he anchored at a good spot and founded a new town he named La Isabela, after the Spanish queen. The next several months were spent in establishing the colony and exploring the interior of Hispaniola.

;) ;) ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Did you know that the Pinta

is said to have made 11 trips back and forth.??

I wasn't sure about whether there were one or two of the caravels, but I knew he was on the outs with the Pinzons. In fact, some writers feel that if it had been up to them they would have left the admiral there on the reef. While they were "faking " that they didn't see his plight, Columbus fired a cannon, and, apparently because some of the crew insisted, they returned for the shipwreaked crew....

Amazing ships thos caravels...a wonderful technological marvel of 15th century naval architecture.

HB :D:D:D

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hillbilly said:
is said to have made 11 trips back and forth.??

I wasn't sure about whether there were one or two of the caravels, but I knew he was on the outs with the Pinzons. In fact, some writers feel that if it had been up to them they would have left the admiral there on the reef. While they were "faking " that they didn't see his plight, Columbus fired a cannon, and, apparently because some of the crew insisted, they returned for the shipwreaked crew....

Amazing ships thos caravels...a wonderful technological marvel of 15th century naval architecture.

HB :D:D:D

Honestly I don?t know how they count his voyages or the pinta

I think most people would say it was all together 4 voyages in the meaning from Spain out to the world and back to Spain, and the timelines of Columbus also verify that. How many with the Pinta...???

The First Voyage:
1492/8/3 Departs from Palos, Spain (near Huelva)
1492/9/6 Departs Gomera (Canary Islands) after repair and refit.
1492/10/12 New world sighted at 2:00 a.m. by Rodrigo de Triana, somewhere in the Bahamas.
1492/10/29 Arrives at Cuba.
1492/11/22 Mart?n Alonso Pinz?n, captain of the Pinta, deserts the expedition off Cuba.
1492/12/5 Columbus arrives at Hispaniola.
1492/12/25 Flagship Santa Maria sinks off Hispaniola. Columbus founds La Navidad.
1493/1/6 Pinz?n rejoins Columbus.
1493/1/16 Columbus departs Hispaniola for Spain in the Ni?a.
1493/2/14 Ni?a and Pinta are separated again in a fierce storm.
1493/2/15 Sights Santa Maria Island in the Azores.
1493/3/4 Arrives at Lisbon, Portugal.
1493/3/15 Ni?a and Pinta return separately to Palos, Spain.

The Second Voyage:
1493 September The Grand Fleet of 17 ships departs Cadiz.
1493/10/13 Departs Hierro (Canary Islands), sailing WSW
1493/11/3 The island of Dominica sighted at dawn; Guadeloupe shortly after.
1493/11/22 Arrives at Hispaniola.
1493/11/28 Returns to Navidad, finds fort destroyed.
1493/12/8 Founds new colony of La Isabela.
1494/4/24 Sails from Isabela in search of mainland.
1494/4/30 Arrives at Cuba.
1494/5/5 Arrives at Jamaica.
1494/5/14 Returns to Cuba.
1494/6/13 Starts the return to La Isabela.
1494/8/20 Reaches Hispaniola.
1496/3/10 Departs from La Isabela for Spain.
1496/6/8 Reaches the coast of Portugal.

The Third Voyage:
1498/5/30 Departs from Sanlucar, Spain, with six ships.
1498/6/19 Arrives at Gomera (Canary Islands); splits fleet into two squadrons.
1498/7/4 Departs from the Cape Verde Islands.
1498/7/31 Arrives at Trinidad.
1498/8/13 Leaves the Gulf of Paria, arrives at Margartia.
1498/8/19 Arrives at Hispaniola.
1500 October Columbus is arrested and sent home in chains.

The Fourth Voyage:
1502/5/11 Departs from Cadiz, Spain, with four ships.
1502/6/29 Arrives at Santo Domingo, Hispaniola.
1502/7/30 Arrives at the Mosquito Coast, modern Nicaragua.
1503/1/9 Establishes garrison at Rio Belen.
1503/4/6 Garrison attacked by Indians and abandoned.
1503/4/16 Leaves Rio Belen for home.
1503/6/25 Ships beached and abandoned at Jamaica, marooning crew.
1504/6/29 Crew rescued from Jamaica.
1504/11/7 Columbus returns to Spain.
1506/5/20 Columbus dies at Valladolid.

;) ;)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Found this in a book I have about C.C life & adventures...

Mirador said:
the issue is still unresoved, just like Chris Columbus' final resting place. According to prestigious archaeologists, there's a place near Ouanaminthe which seems the most probably place, but don't tell that to the Dominicans ;-)

Christopher Columbus died in Valladolid, Spain, on May 20, 1506, at the age of 54. He had suffered through a long terminal illness that first showed symptoms on his third voyage eight years before.

According to his son Fernando, the cause of death was "gout." But in those days, gout was a catchall diagnosis for anything that caused joint pain. Recent research by Gerald Weissmann indicates that the most likely cause of death was Reiter's Syndrome, a rare tropical disease.

Upon his death, Columbus was initially buried in a small cemetary in Valladolid. Shortly thereafter, his body was moved to Seville. When Columbus' eldest son and heir Diego died in 1526, he was buried beside his father.

But Diego's widow petitioned the Spanish court to move both bodies to the cathedral in Santo Domingo on Hispaniola. So the remains of Columbus were moved across the Atlantic, and were buried under the right side of the altar in the cathedral in Santo Domingo. And there matters stood for two centuries.

In 1795, France captured the island of Hispaniola from Spain. By this time, the Spanish viewed the Admiral's remains as a national treasure, and wanted to prevent their capture by the French at all costs. So, relying on old records, they dug up the remains and removed them to Havana, Cuba. A century later, when Cuba won independence from Spain, the remains were moved again, from Havana back across the ocean to Seville. And so, if you visit the cathedral in Seville today, you will find the tomb of Columbus.

But that's not the whole story. In 1877, workers were restoring the cathedral in Santo Domingo and found, under the left side of the altar, a box containing human remains. The box bore Columbus's name. It immediately became clear to some that the "left" and "right" sides of the altar depend entirely upon the direction one is facing. And therefore, some argue, the body that had been moved to Havana in 1795 was really that of Diego, while the Admiral's remains had been in Santo Domingo all along. And so, if you visit the cathedral in Santo Domingo today, you will find another tomb of Columbus.

Meanwhile, one historian has argued that the wrong body was moved from Havana to Seville, and therefore, Columbus's remains are really in Havana. And another historian argues that Columbus's remains never left Valladolid! Furthermore, portions of the remains in Seville were given to the city of Genoa in 1892 as part of the quadricentennial celebration.

Recently, Spanish scientists tried DNA analysis to answer the question. As it turned out, DNA was not even necessary: a cursory examination of the bones showed that they must have been those of Columbus's sickly son Diego, not the Admiral himself. So the discoverer's final resting place is in Santo Domingo after all.

;) ;) ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I didn't say that the Pinta made

all of its voyages with the Admiral. It went back and forth, like I said, 11 times!! Truly amazing..

HB

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hillbilly said:
all of its voyages with the Admiral. It went back and forth, like I said, 11 times!! Truly amazing..

HB

Yes it is! I got stuck in this old book of mine now istead of working..

Listen...
The Pinta was captained by Mart?n Alonso Pinz?n, a leading mariner from the town of Moguer in Andalucia. Pinta was a caravel, a smaller, lighter, and faster ship than the tubby Santa Maria. We don't know much about Pinta, but it probably was about 70 tons. Philips puts the length of Pinta at 17 meters, keel length 13 meters, beam 5 meters, and depth 2 meters. She probably had three masts, and most likely carried sails like those of Santa Maria, except for the topsail, and perhaps the spritsail.

As you can guess, speed of sailing vessels varies considerably with the speed of the wind. Over several days, ships of Columbus's day would average a little less than 4 knots. Top speed for the vessels was about 8 knots, and minimum speed was zero. These speeds were quite typical for vessels of the period -- and indeed, typical for the entire Age of Sail up until the time of steamships and clipper ships. So overall, 90 or 100 miles in a day would be typical, and 200 phenomenal.

Of the three ships on the first voyage, the Santa Maria was the slowest, and the Pinta was the fastest. The differences were small, however, perhaps about 0.1 knot between them.

Amazing, this was not exactly yesterday!!
;) ;) ;)

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
carina said:
Christopher Columbus died in Valladolid, Spain, on May 20, 1506, at the age of 54. He had suffered through a long terminal illness that first showed symptoms on his third voyage eight years before.

According to his son Fernando, the cause of death was "gout." But in those days, gout was a catchall diagnosis for anything that caused joint pain. Recent research by Gerald Weissmann indicates that the most likely cause of death was Reiter's Syndrome, a rare tropical disease.

Upon his death, Columbus was initially buried in a small cemetary in Valladolid. Shortly thereafter, his body was moved to Seville. When Columbus' eldest son and heir Diego died in 1526, he was buried beside his father.

But Diego's widow petitioned the Spanish court to move both bodies to the cathedral in Santo Domingo on Hispaniola. So the remains of Columbus were moved across the Atlantic, and were buried under the right side of the altar in the cathedral in Santo Domingo. And there matters stood for two centuries.

In 1795, France captured the island of Hispaniola from Spain. By this time, the Spanish viewed the Admiral's remains as a national treasure, and wanted to prevent their capture by the French at all costs. So, relying on old records, they dug up the remains and removed them to Havana, Cuba. A century later, when Cuba won independence from Spain, the remains were moved again, from Havana back across the ocean to Seville. And so, if you visit the cathedral in Seville today, you will find the tomb of Columbus.

But that's not the whole story. In 1877, workers were restoring the cathedral in Santo Domingo and found, under the left side of the altar, a box containing human remains. The box bore Columbus's name. It immediately became clear to some that the "left" and "right" sides of the altar depend entirely upon the direction one is facing. And therefore, some argue, the body that had been moved to Havana in 1795 was really that of Diego, while the Admiral's remains had been in Santo Domingo all along. And so, if you visit the cathedral in Santo Domingo today, you will find another tomb of Columbus.

Meanwhile, one historian has argued that the wrong body was moved from Havana to Seville, and therefore, Columbus's remains are really in Havana. And another historian argues that Columbus's remains never left Valladolid! Furthermore, portions of the remains in Seville were given to the city of Genoa in 1892 as part of the quadricentennial celebration.

Recently, Spanish scientists tried DNA analysis to answer the question. As it turned out, DNA was not even necessary: a cursory examination of the bones showed that they must have been those of Columbus's sickly son Diego, not the Admiral himself. So the discoverer's final resting place is in Santo Domingo after all.

;) ;) ;)

Carina,

I know in October of 2003, that DNA of Christopher Columbus were being performed by the Spanish and that the Dominican Gov't were reluctant to allow researcher to touch their remains, but I never heard anything on the result of the test that the spanish did on their remains, let alone that they (Spanish researcher) consede on the final resting place of Columbus. Can you please provide a link to that report please. Thank you.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Stodgord said:
Carina,

I know in October of 2003, that DNA of Christopher Columbus were being performed by the Spanish and that the Dominican Gov't were reluctant to allow researcher to touch their remains, but I never heard anything on the result of the test that the spanish did on their remains, let alone that they (Spanish researcher) consede on the final resting place of Columbus. Can you please provide a link to that report please. Thank you.

Hi, its a book. The life of Columbus.
K. Benjamin

;) ;)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
rellosk said:
For some reason, I wasn't able to find this book on Amazon.com.

I think it is over 20 or 30 years old. If I remember right I bought it either in Sweden, Jamaica or Miami at some stage..
Its a big, big book, over 1500 pages, with leather cover..

;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
carina said:
I think it is over 20 or 30 years old. If I remember right I bought it either in Sweden, Jamaica or Miami at some stage..

;)
My mistake. I thought the book you were referring to was an answer to Stodgord's question regarding the results of the DNA testing.

I guess I'll ask his question again. Does anyone know of a link to a report (or book) that gives the result of the DNA testing?

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
carina said:

;)

So,

The claim to Christopher's Columbus final resting place is not settled yet. Right?