Met some celebrities

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Just returned from my trip to the DR. I am happy to report that I had the opportunity to have met some DR1 celebrities, Escott, Robert, Marco, and Grahame Bush. I am also happy to report that I purchased an additional lot to add on to my property line. I now own almost 2 tareas, and with that good news comes a new problem. Because of the additional land area, I am considering changing the home plan that I originally had and instead hire a professional architect to design a home to my liking. I interviewed one company in POP that comes highly recommended, but the price they are asking to design a 3500 Sq ft is $5000 US. I feel it's a bit much, because I can order a completely detailed plan on line for half of what they are asking. I would like to hear from anyone out there that have had a plan designed specifically for them and, what price did they pay.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
This is something I know nothing about, but you've perked my interest.

(1) Is the on-line plan a "cookie cutter" plan or will the house be designed by you using an on-line tool?

(2) Do either of the plans include a review by an engineer? I know some people feel this is not necessary, but I know I would not be comfortable without a review of both the structure and the soil.

(3) Could you post the link for the on-line plan?

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
I first selected the one from plan collection, but now I am considering the one at eplan, or just pay the architect and engineer and let them put the package together.

1-Http://www.theplancollection.com plan # ms2835
2-http://www.eplans.com Plan # HWEPL11341

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Save yourself a lot of grief. PM Lissa on this board. She is an architect here and is designing my new casa con mi! We are progressing and she is going to give me complete plans to build for way less.

Half the price you are talking about for a 4500 Sq. Ft home mas y menos.

She is a delightful person and speaks better English than I do.

Congrats on the bigger chunk!

Escott

Last edited:

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
Seems reasonable ...

In PR, complete plans designed by architects, for an individual house (not "cookie cutter"), are in the range of US$7000 - $10000 depending on how large, what kind of facilities (ie. Intellihome) , and if you want all the permitting done for you. "Cookie cutter" types (casas Masso, Millieangie, etc.) sell their plans for over US$4000. E.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Jwb said:
I first selected the one from plan collection, but now I am considering the one at eplan, or just pay the architect and engineer and let them put the package together.

1-Http://www.theplancollection.com plan # ms2835
2-http://www.eplans.com Plan # HWEPL11341
Unless you are a builder or an engineer, I wouldn't ever consider buying a template for a house that is designed to be built in a specific region in the US. Who knows if the materials are readily available in the DR or the structure has the proper support for the soil it will be built on. (Not being a builder or an engineer, I may not be correct in what I'm saying). You could buy the plans and the builder could say it's not possible to build this house here. Or worse, the builder could say he's able to build it and fail to do so.

I would try to find a REPUTABLE local architect that probably could also help find you a REPUTABLE builder. Escott's has recommended an architect that he is using. Judging by his posts, he seems to be thorough and I'm assuming he did some research before picking Lissa.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Hopefully, a future DR1 get together will be in your new home.

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
I got in contact with lissa.

She has so far told me that we will be able to work something out. Guess I am now running with the big boys.

Thanks to all who replied.

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Escott said:
You have this big dog theory wrong my friend. Since Last week when I saw you with 2 women for breakfast 5 days in a row I wanted to be you and thought you were the big dog! LOL

Escott

Shhhhhhh! What's wrong with you (LOL)? I was meeting with my Doctor and Lawyer. Thread closed