Starting a School in Santiago

Big Steve

Oct 31, 2002
I represent an educational foundation in the United States that has interest in establishing an English language, North American curriculum based, K-12 school in Santiago. We are currently researching the legalities and practicalities of such an undertaking. We have contacts in Santiago who have contacted us insuring us that there is a need for such an institution in spite of the existence of at least one established, private religious school in Santiago. So, I guess that this is an open-ended question. Do you believe that there is a need for another private school and what sort of hurdles should we expect in starting one? Any input would be appreciated. We have contacted Fabio Guzman's office for a consultation. Thanks in advance for all of your assistance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What religion do you represent?

Santiago has at least six English language schools now.

While a good, solid institution might be worth looking at, I am not so sure it will fly atthis time. Property is very high right now and land near enough to the population centers is getting very dear and very scarce. I mean enough land for the necessary recreational areas and sports fields. Except for Santiago Christain School, none of the other, smaller, English language schools offers much in the way of sports.

Also, your demographic would probably consist, initially, of a bunch of poorly adjusted kids from New York City that look and act like Bloods or Crips....or kids that have been asked to leave other, more prestigious institutions.....

As far as paperwork is concerned, it is pretty basic, and will be the least of your problems.

HB doubtful

Oh, yeah, my credentials for saying the above? 43 years of experience in the educational field in the DR + 2 in the States before I came here...

Big Steve

Oct 31, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Santiago has at least six English language schools now.

While a good, solid institution might be worth looking at, I am not so sure it will fly atthis time. .

Thanks for your reply Hillbilly, I was hoping to hear from you in particular! Our religious affiliation would be Protestant, but not quite as sectarian as SCS. I am aware of SCS and of a Holy Trinity School that utilizes the "School of Tomorrow/ACE" system, but not of any other English schools in Santiago. What are the other four that you are referring to? You mentioned that the cost of land is on the rise, what might an 8-10 acre parcel sell for on the 'outskirts' of Santiago? I do appreciate your comments and do not doubt the veracity of what you are communicating, but if we could provide that "good, solid institution" you referred to we might be able to make it fly. We are motivated and optimistic. In talking to some of my friends who worked for SCS and left for various reasons, they confirmed your assesment of troubled 'yorks' returning after being kicked out of US government school settings. Thanks again for your wisdom. As, (or if), things progress I hope I might continue to trouble you with more specfic questions?
Steven

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't think so at this time

Steve was talking about 35,000-40,000 square meters of land.

If his foundation had deeeeeeep pockets, it might go. Of course the cost to parents to recover the initial investment would be fairly high.

There is Hostos, St. David and a couple of others I have seen but can't remember their names...tiny places really.

But they have to compete with Da Vinci, De La Salle, Juan XXIII and Sagrado Corazon for the traditional students and the pool of people wealthy enough and that have a very intense interest to educate their children in a foreign culture is fairly small. And they have to compete with the evangelicals who are building schools as fast as they can so that their children are educated in their faith--and they take kids from all denominations, are sponsored by mission boards and offer inexpensive education...A new school would have to wedge its way in...

Educational experience at the college level has shown that Santiago Christian school graduates are behind in Math and Spanish if they attempt to go to a good college here. (Not all, but a majority) With this reality, why bother? Only if the child is being trained to go to a US university setting would this be viable, IMO....

However, if they can find the property, get the buildings built and so forth...I'll be glad to help...:p:p

HB :D:D

L

LarrySpencer

So here is another option. My company has begun supporting a new school in Dajabon called Instituto Inglés de la Fronterizo. The school is being run by a woman who recently returned from the USA. She is using the approach that was used when she first learned English two years ago...full immersion. No Spanish is allowed in the class, and the students do not learn in Spanish.

The option is, you can join me in helping make this school a success through providing teaching materials, translators, etc.