I need a quick answer

Advo-Cat

Apr 28, 2005

Hi Everyone!
I did search the forum but couldn't locate the answer.

I'm currently in Europe and need to call someone in Santo Domingo to their Dominican mobile phone - the number is 1-519 ----

Question is: After I dial 001 809 - do I need to dial 1-519 ---- or just 519 ----

Thanks.

theCeo

Apr 18, 2005
Chirimoya said:
I think you drop the 1. Try it anyway, and see what happens.:)

Also, you may want to call your cell phone company to make sure you are approved to make calls to DR. Verizion Wireless is one company that does not allow moble calls from the US to DR. I don't know if it is the same for UK.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I think you dial 011 809 xxxx (or 011 1 809). I don't think it makes a difference whether you are calling a cell phone or a land line.

Why not ask the operator to be sure?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My parents called me on my mobile yesterday. I am pretty sure I just gave them the seven-digit number without the 1 prefix.

I've called Mr C's Verizon mobile from the UK with no problems.

wim

Jan 10, 2002
just dial 001 809 519 ---- .
From where aree you in Europa ? I 'm from belgium and I dial 001 809 519 ---- and always enter on the mobiel .
Good luck .

greetings , Wim .

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
You cannot skip 1 - that is the country code
You cannot skip 809 - that is the area code
You cannot skip th xxx xx xx - that is the phone number

Check the prefix before calling abroad, as said it can be 001, or 011 or 0091 etc etc depening on where in Europe.
From some countries it is hard to get through to DR, go by an operator in that case.

Good luck! ;) ;) ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Clarification - from the UK it is 00 1 809 XXX XXXX

You skip the 1 that precedes the mobile number when phoning within the DR, not the 1 before the 809.

sarita

May 5, 2005
yes ur right im from the uk and it is 001 809 and then the number (without the 1)

Advo-Cat

Apr 28, 2005
Thanx All

Your rapid response is really very much appreciated.

Just FYI, I'm calling from a landline in Italy and I have just found out that, as I suspected, I don't have to dial the 1 immediately preceeding the 519.

The reason I couldn't reach her before, I've just discovered, is that I hear the phone ringing 6 times before her mobile phone actually starts to ring. Then I should have waited another six rings for her to realise that it's her phone that's ringing not somebody else's, and another six rings for her to discover that it's not in her pocket. It takes another 6 rings for her to put down her slice of pizza and start rummaging through her voluminous handbag, and yet another 6 rings for her to fish it out of her bag and press the answer button.

That's 30 rings before she answers and I just thought I wasn't connecting because I had dialled incorrectly.

WOMEN! Can't live with 'em and can't live without 'em!!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Advo-Cat said:
The reason I couldn't reach her before, I've just discovered, is that I hear the phone ringing 6 times before her mobile phone actually starts to ring. Then I should have waited another six rings for her to realise that it's her phone that's ringing not somebody else's, and another six rings for her to discover that it's not in her pocket. It takes another 6 rings for her to put down her slice of pizza and start rummaging through her voluminous handbag, and yet another 6 rings for her to fish it out of her bag and press the answer button.
How true!!:):)