Getting rid of ticks (dog)

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
We have been fighting a losing battle trying to de-tick our dog, she has been to the vet about 3 times to get de-ticked, both chemically and by hand, but within a week of coming home is always covered with hundreds of the little suckers again.

Anybody know what we can do about this?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I've been there, done that! Till I bought the miracle "drops" that you put on the dog's back every time you give it a bath, they won't even go on the paws after this! Can't remember the name but I get them at Pola or La Sirena, Ferreteria Americana and I'm pretty sure vets should have it. Use this and you will never see ticks again. Trust me, I had them crawling on my walls till I bought the drops. I will look at home for the name tonight! ;)

Note, pulling them by hand can infect the dog and get it pretty sick, so not a good idea!

Last edited:

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
The firm Bayer has a new product Advantix that seems to work (in Belgium it does) You get 4 tubes effectif for one month each but be aware it is leathal for cats

One product that does keep ticks from attaching is the Preventic Collar made by Virbac, its active ingredient is Amitraz which is not an insecticide so you can use it in conjunction with other flea and tick products like Frontline (which by the way has lost its effectivenes)

Greetings

Johan

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
heldengebroed said:
The firm Bayer has a new product Advantix that seems to work (in Belgium it does) You get 4 tubes effectif for one month each but be aware it is leathal for cats

One product that does keep ticks from attaching is the Preventic Collar made by Virbac, its active ingredient is Amitraz which is not an insecticide so you can use it in conjunction with other flea and tick products like Frontline (which by the way has lost its effectivenes)

Greetings

Johan

I tried a collar, did not work on my dog unfortunately.
But the drops did, I also sprayed the area around the house.
No ticks!

;) ;)

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
hill cure

West Virginia Cure. I moved in a farm house once where the ticks infested the area to the point you would get ticks on the front porch. We got a dozen chickens to range feed and no more ticks. Not a cure because the dogs still ran the famr but it cut them down on the house dog and eliminated them fromt he people.
John

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Dr Bob in Sosua gives monthly injections of IVERMECTIN

This is a general parasite medicine and kills heartworm, fleas and ticks.

You can buy the product in at least 2 stores in Sosua and 1 in Sabaneta that I know and self-administer to your dog. I put the correct amount in their food.

A big bottle will last about 2 years and is a lot cheaper than trips to the vets especially if you have more than 1 dog.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Frontline

I used to get Frontline from Doctor Bob, here in Sosua, the type mentioned above where you put a few drop on the dogs back, right at the joint where the shoulders meet.
It worked like a miracle on my dog Rocky, who was a veritable tick hotel.
Now, for some reason, we can't get it around here anymore.
I asked a Canadian friend to bring some down to me, and he said that the vet up there refused to sell it to him without seeing the dog first.
Go figure...
Anyhow, it's supposed to work for one month, but I always found it good for three.
If anybody locates any, I would like to know where.
They came in packs of three, calibrated to the weight of the dog, and the liquid came in a type of small vial, which you broke the neck off of, then applied it to the dog.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Rocky said:
I used to get Frontline from Doctor Bob, here in Sosua, the type mentioned above where you put a few drop on the dogs back, right at the joint where the shoulders meet.
It worked like a miracle on my dog Rocky, who was a veritable tick hotel.
Now, for some reason, we can't get it around here anymore.
I asked a Canadian friend to bring some down to me, and he said that the vet up there refused to sell it to him without seeing the dog first.
Go figure...
Anyhow, it's supposed to work for one month, but I always found it good for three.
If anybody locates any, I would like to know where.
They came in packs of three, calibrated to the weight of the dog, and the liquid came in a type of small vial, which you broke the neck off of, then applied it to the dog.

My vet promised to get something in this week. I will check tomorrow and let you know. They are located in POP on Antera Mota, but I am often in Sosua and can bring you some if they really get it. So far they have always kept their words to me.

;) ;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
carina said:
My vet promised to get something in this week. I will check tomorrow and let you know. They are located in POP on Antera Mota, but I am often in Sosua and can bring you some if they really get it. So far they have always kept their words to me.

;) ;)

Thanks Carina.
If you PM me when it arrives, it would be greatly appreciated.
Marco.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Bolfo from Bayer

These are the drops I told you about. The instructions says to put it every 21 days but I only do it every 3 months and never saw a "guarapata" again (and not one flee either). They come in 3 sizes (small, medium, large dog) from $85 - $125 pesos. Get it now, because June is the worst time for ticks, they will crawl out from everywhere. Some other tricks I use: fresh garlic in her food and cider vinegar in her water; both leave a smell on the dog that parasites dislike and garlic is a natural parasites killer! ;)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Escott said:
Rub it on. It works for Dogs and Goats in my experience. May take a couple of days.

Escott

Escott, I got an Aloe schampoo from the vet last year when I had big problems with my cat.. she was not as Rocky wrote, a hotel of ticks, she was the whole Playa Dorada... and it helped!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
It also works for ear mites. You know the crud that is on the dogs ears? Rub it on maybe 2 days in a row and you will get rid of them. I don't know why but it works.

I use to have a kennel in the States many years ago. Just one of the tricks I picked up along the way.

Escott

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Ear mights

The Aloe propbaly gets rid of ear mites by cutting off the air supply for them. Any kind of oil will do it. Mineral or Vitamine E oil cuts off the air supply for the mites. Plus the Aloe problably helps with the skin damage also.
John

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
If you use any flea/tick shampoo make sure you wait at least three or four days between shampooing and applying drops like Frontline or Advantage products since the drops work through the skin and shampooing can screw up the process. Naturally, make sure your dogs don't go in the water after applying drops also.

I found that shampooing with a good flea/tick shampoo together with frontline and a flea collar solved all my tick problems which looked insurmountable at one point.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Well I found some "Frontline" finally at D'Mascota's in Santiago.

It was 650 pesos, quite a bit compared to what I hear the stuff should cost, but the results are worth it so far. 2 days after applying it the dog was completely free of ticks, then on the 3rd day she slipped her leash and went running through some tall grass. Came back with visible ticks crawling on her fur. The next day these were gone as well. Good to be unafraid to walk within 6 feet of my own dog for a change.