Should we be worrying?

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Is the latest deportation a one-off or can we expect to see more racist trouble in the coming weeks? In my opinion it doesn't take much for these things to blow out of proportion. What do we think will happen next?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would not worry

not in the least.

What happened and is happening is well documented as to cause. The later effects are probably due to over zealous, somewhat anti-Haitian sentiments that have been building up as the immigration of our neighbors continued unabated over the past few years.

There is a feeling, not well hidden, that the Haitians are taking over the country by means of this massive movement of people. Even in the university where I work, I have heard professors comment :"We;ll have to learn to speak Creole, soon," and it wasn't said with a smile...

HB

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Sweat Jobs?

Hillbilly said:
.... the Haitians are taking over the country ....

The Haitians have moved as far East as Las Terrenas, obviously following the job market.
It's not easy here to find Dominicans who are willing to work in construction jobs or even in agriculture. So these jobs go to Haitians who are quite skillfull in certain fields....

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hillbilly said:
There is a feeling, not well hidden, that the Haitians are taking over the country by means of this massive movement of people. Even in the university where I work, I have heard professors comment :"We;ll have to learn to speak Creole, soon," and it wasn't said with a smile...
It sounds similar to what you hear in the US, except substitute Spanish for Creole. Same attitude.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
You all are so easily manipulated by the current government's spin doctors. It's all a ruse to distract attention from 'real' problems affecting the DR... By the way, have you all noticed that this deportation thing is only happening in 'La L?nea' (the Northwest border region)? there's nothing of the sort happening in the 'Deep South' or the Midwestern border region...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Mirador said:
You all are so easily manipulated by the current government's spin doctors. It's all a ruse to distract attention from 'real' problems affecting the DR...
Well said. It's much easier to shift the anger and frustration to the immigrant Haitians than to deal with the real problems.