Women held and dies....

mojoman

Mar 15, 2005
FROM DR1 HEADLINES MAY 17, 2005
9. Airport jail closed
The Minister of Armed Forces Sigfrido Pared Perez announced the closing of the jail premises at the Las Americas International Airport after 35-year old Elisa Maria Payano died (reportedly from lung arrest) following being irregularly detained there for document checking. The investigation showed that her papers to travel to Spain were legitimate. She had been living since she was 18 years old in Holland. She was a language professor in Holland, had a Dutch passport and three of her five children resided with her in Holland. Que se Dice column in Hoy points out that regardless, she was treated as a criminal only because a Migration inspector suspected that her travel papers were false. She was not allowed to board her flight, and instead was kept in an inadequately ventilated room in the basement of the airport. The newspaper says that to say the least, the Migration authorities that handled the detention incurred in "criminal negligence."
The family complains that while their mother died on Friday, they were not given this information until two days latter. Her 19-year old son Jose Manuel Daniel denounced that they found out about the death reading the news. "For lack of documentation, no one can be kept in jail. Something ugly happened there," he told Diario Libre. She was buried in San Pedro de Macoris. An autopsy will be performed.

nice.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
I don't understand this at all, if the documents were false then I am sure the Dutch government would be more adept in catching this and she would not be allowed into Holland,the airline would be fined and she would be returned to the DR. Why detain the poor woman?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Believe it or not!

And now they are saying that she had drugs in her stomach....mmmm....strange turns of events! Somehow I find it hard to believe and the sad thing is, this story will probably end here because the family won?t have the founds to take it to court?.Sad, very sad!

http://69.59.165.79/(pnb3gbu0i0fxgy45birnoyjt)/app/article.aspx?id=3

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The missing puzzle piece has been found...

She apparantly swallowed a stolen moto concho that had been used in the smuggling!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
juanita said:
And now they are saying that she had drugs in her stomach....mmmm....strange turns of events! Somehow I find it hard to believe and the sad thing is, this story will probably end here because the family won?t have the founds to take it to court?.Sad, very sad!

http://69.59.165.79/(pnb3gbu0i0fxgy45birnoyjt)/app/article.aspx?id=3
The link didn't work. This one should.

http://69.59.165.79/app/article.aspx?id=30901

BTW, why do you think it's a coverup? I imagine it doesn't take much to find out the truth, assuming the family has possesion of the body.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
rellosk said:
BTW, why do you think it's a coverup? I imagine it doesn't take much to find out the truth, assuming the family has possesion of the body.

I just find it strange that at first they were talking about pulmonary problems (edema pulmonary) and now this. If it was drugs they found, wouldn?t they keep the body a bit longer for evidence before giving it back to the family? I don?t know, there?s just a funny smell to this story! :tired:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The original post said they had buried her already.
Remember the other post where the man said they accused him of having a false stamp in his passport? When all was done, they even asked him for a little money.
We know how desperate some people can be to get money, but they should eliminate this trend immediately before it damages the tourist trade.
It's unfortunate that someone had to die.
mkohn

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
People don't die from

"inadequate ventilation" unless there are other factors such as the presence of carbon monoxide or toxic fumes. Swallowing dozens of condoms full of uncut cocaine on the other hand, is something which is very frequently fatal. If you are going to talk about someone being desperate for money, being a "mule" is about as desperate (and stupid) as you can get. Actually, the OP appears to contradict itself, saying she was buried in San Pedro and an autopsy will be performed. Probably a confusion with tense in the translation.

Could it be that the airport authorities were actually on the right track and were holding her on the pretext of irregularities in her papers because they suspected the truth? Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
While I find it highly irregular that a linguisticss professor

with a Dutch passport and a 20 yr. visa for Europe who is gainfully employed would resort to being a drug mule.....anything is possible.
If the x-ray in the news article is truly of her then I'm from Missouri (where seeing is believing!).

How sad for her 5 children!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
ricktoronto said:
Why would a Netherlands citizen need a visa for Europe?

She would not need a visa if she held a Dutch passport.. btw nothing of this has been reported in the Dutch newspapers and in the article link only mention was made of her staying in the Netherlands and having a visa to stay in Europe for 20 years...

I suspect she was still Dominicana and as such subject to the visa procedures at the airport... incarcerating a mule is not uncommon and this has happened a lot with mules travelling from the Netherlands Antilles.. sometimes with fatal consequences..

As a result of so-called 100% checks the number of mules from the Netherlands Antilles has dropped dramatically.. she might have been be one of the new ways for drugs into Holland.. there are a lot of ties between the Antillean and Dominican communities here in Holland.. it's a good way for a Dominicana to get into Holland..

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
I have found Customs Officials to be very flaky in the Dominican Republic. Last March as I was in customs on my return to P.R., the Customs Official looked at me, then at my photo on my passport, then bent my passport in all possible forms while looking at my picture, and then sent me to an office to get somebody's signature on my visa receipt. When I arrrived at this office, the person whose signature I had to get was giving a Dominican a hard time, so I waited my turn. After a few minutes, he sent the Dominican to another office. Then he looked at me, he looked at my passport, signed the visa, and without saying a word returned it to me. I went back to the Customs Official, she stamped my passport and I went on my way. Who knows what goes through their minds at moments like these!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
From El Nacional

http://69.59.165.79/(pnb3gbu0i0fxgy45birnoyjt)/app/article.aspx?id=30970

Cinco d?as despu?s del hecho, se ignora d?nde est?n los equipajes, prendas, as? como 800 euros y 100 d?lares que Payano llevaba.

En esta terminal ninguna autoridad ha podido dar explicaci?n de d?nde est?n esos equipajes y ese dinero de la se?ora que fue detenida por sospecha de que sus documentos eran alterados y que luego se determin? que eran aut?nticos, pero ya estaba muerta.

Smells fishy to me!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I believe that other man was me...

mkohn said:
The original post said they had buried her already.
Remember the other post where the man said they accused him of having a false stamp in his passport? When all was done, they even asked him for a little money.
We know how desperate some people can be to get money, but they should eliminate this trend immediately before it damages the tourist trade.
It's unfortunate that someone had to die.
mkohn

This is is exactly the type of thing that keeps setting this country back. The whole collective mentality of "I want whats' mine even if it's yours", the corruption, the coverups and the getting away with whatever they do in certain sectors of dominican society will relegate this island to international inconsequence until they wake up.
The poor woman was held and died. First she suffocated. Now she was a drug mule. Her possessions have been stolen by SOMEBODY at the airport. I keep thinking that I am lucky it was'nt me, because I very well could have been in the same boat. They could have taken my bags and planted anything they wanted in them, and that was my main concern when I was taken away.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Berzin said:
...They could have taken my bags and planted anything they wanted in them, and that was my main concern when I was taken away.
Is there a story here?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't Worry Berzin!!!

The "Coca" was in condoms in the woman's stomack,vagina,and rectum.I doubt that they were "Planted" there without her knowledge!!! :eek: :eek:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Tamborista said:
She apparantly swallowed a stolen moto concho that had been used in the smuggling!

Tamborista, this death, no matter how or why it happened is certainly nothing to be joked about. Think before you write... Canadian Bob.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Sad, sad, sad

You know, this really is a sad story, and who will ever really know the truth. I remember last August leaving Punta Cana and during the security check at the airport one of the security personnel ran across a bottle of Jean Paul Gaultier cologne I was carrying in my carry-on luggage. He started to make some gesture and I thought he was commenting on how nice it was. Then he mentioned something about me giving it to him. I wanted to tell him he was out of his damned mind. Thank God my senses took over and I thought, "now, I've got a choice. Either I can give it to him and get on the plane and go home. Or, I can tell him what I really think and run the risk of the security staff 'finding drugs' in my bag, and end up in a DR jail for a long time." Needless to say, I made it home.

My point is that we can speculate from now until the cows come home about why this woman was stopped. The fact of the matter is that we don't know, and may never know. But the real sad part is that she is dead and left behind a number of children who no longer have their mother. What's equally sad, in my opinion, is that people are so quick to make the worst of assumptions without having any real basis for doing so. This is one of the reasons why I am looking to leave the US. I'm just so fed up with that kind of thing.

Although I've looked to the DR as a future place of residence, I still always keep in the back of my mind what took place that day in the Punta Cana airport, and think about what could have happened.