Dominicans view of Europians????

rayleeds

May 16, 2005
Leeds, United Kingdom
Dominicans view of Europeans????

Hi all,
Myself and my family are visiting your country at the beginning of June.
I am a new member of these boards and have been looking through the past posts picking up tips and tricks etc.
One thing which suprises me is the view some of you have on Europeans, ie cheapskate,unwashed etc.
Please where there are undoubtably some like this we are not all the same.
Do not generalise its like me saying all Dominicans are hustlers etc.
I am staying in Gren Ventana and all though it is not allowed I shall tip , I am bringing school supplies etc for the various projects, I am even bringing some insulated lunch boxes for the Dream Project.
Although monetary this will not be a lot I am not a cheapskate and I do shower at least twice a day.
I thank you.
Ray in Leeds UK

Last edited:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
rayleeds said:
Hi all,
I am a new member of these boards and have been looking through the past posts picking up tips and tricks etc.
One thing which suprises me is the view some of you have on Europians, ie cheapskate,unwashed etc.
I am staying in Gren Ventana and all though it is not allowed I shall tip , I am bringing school supplies etc for the various projects, I am even bringing some insulated lunch boxes for the Dream Project.
Although monetary this will not be a lot I am not a cheapskate and I do shower at least twice a day.
I thank you.
Ray in Leeds UK
Hey Ray and Leeds welcome to DR1

Hey don't take personal anything that some of us members say.
sometimes we just like to punch buttons.

And by the way....Yes, all dominicans are hustlers......Just ask the Canadians......lol

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
i'm a american..and from what i've been told by hotel service workers and various barkeeps all over the world...americans are #1 when it comes to tipping..and that europeans are cheap...in the dr one nite i was sitting at a bar..and a tourist got up and left without leaving a tip...the barmaid looked at her co-worker...raised her arm..bent at the elbow..pumped it up and down.she later told me that the gesture meant that the customer was cheap..and went on to tell me about the european lack of genorosity. so if you go into a bar...and see a dominican barmaid or one of her co-workers make that gesture...as you sit down...you're in for a long nite.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
paddy said:
i'm a american..and from what i've been told by hotel service workers and various barkeeps all over the world...americans are #1 when it comes to tipping..and that europeans are cheap...in the dr one nite i was sitting at a bar..and a tourist got up and left without leaving a tip...the barmaid looked at her co-worker...raised her arm..bent at the elbow..pumped it up and down.she later told me that the gesture meant that the customer was cheap..and went on to tell me about the european lack of genorosity. so if you go into a bar...and see a dominican barmaid or one of her co-workers make that gesture...as you sit down...you're in for a long nite.

LOL..
In a way that has some truth in it.. and yes I am European myself..
But it does not come out of being sneaky.
Most European countries don?t have a wide tipping system in their societies and people are simply not used to it, other than to round up a bill at a restaurant. When tourists come to an AI here from a European country for instance, they don?t even have in their minds that they should tip someone " as all is paid for"...
Simply because noting in the society back home ( in the sense of salaries etc ) is based on tips...
;)

rayleeds

May 16, 2005
Leeds, United Kingdom
paddy said:

I have been to the states on many occasions and as a rule I do tip approx 15% of the bill.
I shall leave in the morning maybe $4 for the maid and at the end of the night something behind the bar.

BUT If service is poor THEN I will not feel obliged to tip and if when entering a bar I see that gesture then there are plenty of other bars.

Regards Ray

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
In Europe, the gratuity or tip in restaurants and many other establishments is already built into the price, usually 10% but in some instances more.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Conchman said:
In Europe, the gratuity or tip in restaurants and many other establishments is already built into the price, usually 10% but in some instances more.

You are right guys, I was working for 3 months in a hotel at the frontdesk and European doesn't like to give tips, North American are the best.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
of tips and nationalities

riravaga said:
You are right guys, I was working for 3 months in a hotel at the frontdesk and European doesn't like to give tips, North American are the best.

And where do Dominicans fit in with respect to generosity of tipping?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't Worry Mister Leeds!

Americans don't think about our "English Cousins" as "Europeans"! You are where many of us "Come From"!
We think of the French and Spanish as "Smelly",not you guys!
Dominicans don't tip as a rule.Neither does their "Charity" extend far beyond immediate family members,"Blood",and mostly on their mother's side of the family.Those that "Marry In" don't have as much pull.
"Overtipping" here does no one any favors either!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

rayleeds

May 16, 2005
Leeds, United Kingdom
Criss Colon said:
Americans don't think about our "English Cousins" as "Europeans"! You are where many of us "Come From"!
We think of the French and Spanish as "Smelly",not you guys!
Dominicans don't tip as a rule.Neither does their "Charity" extend far beyond immediate family members,"Blood",and mostly on their mother's side of the family.Those that "Marry In" don't have as much pull.
"Overtipping" here does no one any favors either!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Hi Criss Colon,
You mention overtipping , so what would be a reasonable amount to tip?. Outside of the AI enviroment you are given a bill so it is easy to add 10-15% to that bill for the tip.
How much to maids front desk bar staff etc etc without insulting the workers who lets be fair work long hours for a relatively small amount.
Regards Ray

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
I think those of us who come from the States with our tipping habits create the expectation for tips thus causing the perception of Europeans being cheap. The problem is that some of us have grown so accustomed to tipping that we tip out of habit and never really convey the motivation behind Americans tipping. So while it may be nice to be seen as more generous than Europeans, on average no real advantage is gain.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
in the past when i went to a all inclusive (what a mistake)...first nite at the bar..twenty dollar bill to the bartender...as soon as i sat down...for the rest of my trip ...he took good care of me...and when i left..another twenty and sometimes more... maid same thing...xtra towels..extra flowers... i'm a single guy and probably don't have the expenses that a family has..but you get the idea.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
xamaicano said:
I think those of us who come from the States with our tipping habits create the expectation for tips thus causing the perception of Europeans being cheap. The problem is that some of us have grown so accustomed to tipping that we tip out of habit and never really convey the motivation behind Americans tipping. So while it may be nice to be seen as more generous than Europeans, on average no real advantage is gain.
tipping is like putting the carrot in front of the donkey...the bigger the carrot the faster the donkey moves....people who are waiters , bartenders,doorman, etc. make lousy salaries in ALL countries and for the most part depend on other peoples largesse to feed their family..so they hopefully give you good service and go that extra mile.. so that you'll be genorous. think about it for a minute... you do a good job at work..the boss gives you a "tip"..a raise...do a lousy job...you get "stiffed"...so why not have this rule apply to all those hardworking service workers who wait on us almost everyday...whether we''re on vacation or not.

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
rayleeds said:
Hi all,
One thing which suprises me is the view some of you have on Europeans, ie cheapskate,unwashed etc.
I thank you.
Ray in Leeds UK

Greetings mate! Allow me to give you my take on this. I'm an american, but my parents are european born and I'll tell ya......... the stereotype of the smelly european comes into existance for a reason. In some european countries the daily bath/shower isn't a fact of life. This issue came to a focal point during the olympics some years ago in atlanta, when european athletes touted the u.s. athletes as obsessed with water. The worst offenders are germans(hairy arm pits), french and italians. I've traveled in europe quite a bit and found that many don't bathe daily. Try riding a paris subway at noon, You're sure to be suffocated by the stench of unwashed flesh, coupled with loud perfumes and colognes. Same goes for italianos...........

My dominicana gal(like most from the tropics) are accusomed to washing two or more times daily. That's how I was raised! Perhaps it was native americans who imparted upon european american settlers the virtue of the daily wash.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
carl ericson70 said:
Greetings mate! Allow me to give you my take on this. I'm an american, but my parents are european born and I'll tell ya......... the stereotype of the smelly european comes into existance for a reason. In some european countries the daily bath/shower isn't a fact of life. This issue came to a focal point during the olympics some years ago in atlanta, when european athletes touted the u.s. athletes as obsessed with water. The worst offenders are germans(hairy arm pits), french and italians. I've traveled in europe quite a bit and found that many don't bathe daily. Try riding a paris subway at noon, You're sure to be suffocated by the stench of unwashed flesh, coupled with loud perfumes and colognes. Same goes for italianos...........

My dominicana gal(like most from the tropics) are accusomed to washing two or more times daily. That's how I was raised! Perhaps it was native americans who imparted upon european american settlers the virtue of the daily wash.

Not to insult you or anything.. but have you ever heard of Roman baths.. they were not invented by native Indians in the Americas..

May 31, 2005
MerengueDutchie said:
Not to insult you or anything.. but have you ever heard of Roman baths.. they were not invented by native Indians in the Americas..
They did not go to Roman baths every day.

May 31, 2005
I shower two to three times daily when in the DR. It's partly the heat and partly a cultural thing. Haven't you noticed that at around 5 or 6 most Dominicans shower and change into nice clothes? Some people might do it a little bit later than others but overall most do it.

magdalena21

Jun 7, 2005
hi ray,
how are you, where are you from in europe?

ps small advaice dont get sad or mad with things that you can read here. i tell you that because of my own experience.

welcome to dr1
magdalena
peace and love

rayleeds said:
Hi all,
I thank you.
Ray in Leeds UK

fffluca

Jan 2, 2005
hi

can any 1 help us please ?!?!?!
we wnt to dr few weeks ago and bought a bottle of .... not sure about the spelling , mamajuana,can any 1 tell me how to mix it ?!?!? what rum , gin , honey , basicly a recepi thanks any 1
ps if u can email fffluca@yahoo.com

Nov 5, 2004
fffluca said:
can any 1 help us please ?!?!?!
we wnt to dr few weeks ago and bought a bottle of .... not sure about the spelling , mamajuana,can any 1 tell me how to mix it ?!?!? what rum , gin , honey , basicly a recepi thanks any 1
ps if u can email fffluca@yahoo.com
This is off topic, but I will e-mail it to you also
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25680&highlight=mamajuana

Ok..now back to how Dominicans view Europeans...

Well this is an extremely broad question....

And could offend some ppl..so keep in mind when I answer, I am only commenting on the Dominican views I have heard...and they are commenting only on the ones they have seen...not EVERY single European....

Ok...well when asked who their least facourite Europeans are..then general answer is thoes from Spain. They are more pushy and the most rude. Least considerate, and the least friendly.

I didn't ask about their favourite European tourist..just their favourite from any country and I got mostly Canadians and English tourists.

Quite a few Dominican guys commented on the fact that not enough European women shave their legs or arm pits...and that some who whou keep their tops on take them off.

And as I said above..these are of course HUGE generalizations...I have seen a few Dominicanas who don't shave either...and really should.

But never heard comments about Europeans not being clean.

I have heard many comments on Quebecois being very rude and noisy...( I have family there so I am not insulting anyone)