Santiaguero's what cable provider...

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
I realize this subject has been done to death, just hopeing for a current status of what cable operators (or dish networks) Santiago residents are currently subscribed to. I am relocating this July with my wife and three sons, who all speak Spanish, as do I, but my father will be spending a good deal of time with us and he would be interested in some english language channels. I am also aware that the cable companies (or some of them) provide high-speed internet access. Does anyone avail themselves of the cable internet connection or does everyone use the phone companies for that?

Thanks in advance for any info,
Ian

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
We have "aster", "star cable" and "cablenet". All 3 cable companies provide internet through cable but it seems they are not as fast as the cable internet back home. You won't need a phone line to receive internet. The internet service through cable is only limited to certain areas.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Thanks AZB. As a follow up, does anyone know if the cable internet is faster than the phone companies DSL?

Also, in regards to my father, do you receive any english speaking channels on the aforementioned cable systems.

Thanks again,
Ian

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I called cablenet for you and I was told that conection speed is 64k bps. That is significally slower than DSL. Its simply faster than a dial. Cost: 700 and change pesos / month cable channels + internet.
I have aster cable and I get around 90 channels, most are in english including the american brain washing channel CNN. HBO and showtime comes in english with spanish subtitles. Discovery comes in spanish.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
AZB said:
I called cablenet for you and I was told that conection speed is 64k bps. That is significally slower than DSL. Its simply faster than a dial. Cost: 700 and change pesos / month cable channels + internet.
I have aster cable and I get around 90 channels, most are in english including the american brain washing channel CNN. HBO and showtime comes in english with spanish subtitles. Discovery comes in spanish.

Wow! Many thanks AZB for doing that legwork for me. Looks like DSL then. Argh, CNN, I share your views on that yellow journalism!

Ian

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
aster...mostly english or spanish...

I have aster also and I would say that most is in spanish. You simply do not find anything like Discovery in english. You find news channels in english but you will not find the History channel, Discovery, and others in english. Hold on...I will do a quick count. Okay, I did a count on my one tv that is programmed for channels 1 through 80. Yes, I actually get 90 channels to the home. Okay...Spanish channels = 56 and English = 20. Few channels were not showing.

AZB said: