For Guys Only!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
###NOTE###NOTE###NOTE###NOTE###NOTE###NOTE###NOTE:::::

I know that what I am about to write happens in every single country on earth but since this is a DR site, I will write using the DR as an example. Also, it's an observation and not a complain. Also, I know that not everybody is the same.##Girls: STAY AWAY, :lick:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHY IN HELL DO DOMINICAN GIRLS TAKE SO LONG TO GET READY?!!!!!.

While I was in the DR a few weeks ago, if I was taking auntie Clara to dinner, she was late. If I was taking my female cousin out, she las late. If I was meeting a female friend for lunch, she was late. If I was taking mama Elena out, she was late, If I was taking my business partner out, she would show up 2 or 3 hours late. If I was taking my married friends out, they were late because of her.

To make things worse, they ALL had the same excuse: I WAS GETTING READY. I mean, how long does a person needs to put some makeup and some jeans on?.

I guess that to some dominicans, when they say "I'll be there in one hour", what they truly mean is "I will start getting ready in one hour".

Since they have no considerations for us, we should start doing things to them to drive them nuts for making us wait.

We should, as a newspaper said:

1- We should leave soggy towers on the floor
2- We should show fear during a horror flick
3- We should pass gas in front of them
4- We should drink to excess and then ask her "who are you?"
5- We should burp and blame it on them.
5- We should buy them underwear that are 3 sizes bigger.

But I must say, even after the long wait, when you see them so nicely dressed/made up, we forget about the darn wait.

Ps: this is nothing more than an innocent observation, just for fun since I am aware that they will never change.

Ok guys, anything else that we should do to them to get even?. Remember it's just for fun!

Last edited:

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
You should of told them American time not Dominican time and Im going back to DR in June for 18 days oh my not Dominican Time again.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Dominicans have a sense of time. However, it is different from the Western culture. It is in the Dominican culture to be late (about one hour or so depending upon the occasion).. this is expected and everyone knows this and plans accordingly.. showing up on time for a visit could actually lead to embarassing situations.. like the host not being ready etc...

If you want to make sure people are on time you have two choices:

1) Lie and advance the start time by about one hour.. this usually helps
2) If you don't want to use that it helps when you tell them American Time.. then they know to be on time..

If they are still late after you use 1) or 2) and some kind urging not to do so.. cancel the date/outing/whatever.. then they are just not interested.. or will wise up very quickly..

On a personal note; I think it is important to realise that a different culture means different ways of looking at things.. rather than asking the world to change it may be best if you see the situation through their eyes and adjust your own behaviour to get what you want without offending people.. as a result I usually use 1) or 2) and have very limited problems in my planning..

Enjoy!

MD

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
MerengueDutchie said:
Dominicans have a sense of time. However, it is different from the Western culture. It is in the Dominican culture to be late (about one hour or so depending upon the occasion).. this is expected and everyone knows this and plans accordingly.. showing up on time for a visit could actually lead to embarassing situations.. like the host not being ready etc...

If you want to make sure people are on time you have two choices:

1) Lie and advance the start time by about one hour.. this usually helps
2) If you don't want to use that it helps when you tell them American Time.. then they know to be on time..

If they are still late after you use 1) or 2) and some kind urging not to do so.. cancel the date/outing/whatever.. then they are just not interested.. or will wise up very quickly..

On a personal note; I think it is important to realise that a different culture means different ways of looking at things.. rather than asking the world to change it may be best if you see the situation through their eyes and adjust your own behaviour to get what you want without offending people.. as a result I usually use 1) or 2) and have very limited problems in my planning..

Enjoy!

MD
I dont think it is only a Dominican thing with being late it is also Caribbea West Indian thing to.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I get your point but.....!

MerengueDutchie said:

Enjoy!

MD
This is more than true but if you read the "PS" on my thread, I state that "I know that they will never change". It's impossible. It would be like telling guys to pee sitting down all the time, hehe.

In all fairness, I rather wait for a girl than a guy!.

Btw, girls, this is not a putdown, just venting some centuries worth of frustrations, ;)

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
ronaldobklyn said:
I dont think it is only a Dominican thing with being late it is also Caribbea West Indian thing to.
This is a very Latin thing.

It's probably due to the influential Portuguese and Spanish influences that abound in this region. The Portuguese, Spaniards, and even Italians are notoriously late to meetings.

Actually, in Italy, Southern Italians tend to be late, northern Italians when they say it's at 3pm, at 3pm it is, not a minute before or later.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I suppose it has to do with expectations.

I even do this from time to time if I know the people I will be meeting with are family members or simply, other Latin Americans.

However, if they are Europeans, Canadians, or Americans, I'm always on time, especially the first time I meet with them.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Nal0whs said:
This is a very Latin thing.

Actually, in Italy, Southern Italians tend to be late.

I guess we've been here too long. My sisters are always on time or 10 mins early. If they are 10 mins late we would have to send out the search party. ;)

My daughter (born in Canada) is always late. We tell her to be somewhere an hour earlier so she'll be on time.

I think what makes women late is if they don't know what to wear or they get on the phone and talk about what they and their friends will be wearing. :laugh:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ahaaaaaaa!

Nal0whs said:
I even do this from time to time if I know the people I will be meeting with are family members or simply, other Latin Americans.

However, if they are Europeans, Canadians, or Americans, I'm always on time, especially the first time I meet with them.
So you are one of them but with a "male flavor". You #$@$@#% traitor, hehe.

I am one of those that would rather "get there" an hour before rather than an hour later and it does not matter who I am meeting. Puntuality is my middle name, among other not so nice names, ;) .

But I do find myself, while on vacation in the DR, 95% late for everything but only because I have to wait for a dominican person to take me somewhere or I have to wait for a lovely to get ready for an outing, :eek:

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Or!

Anna Coniglio said:
I think what makes women late is if they don't know what to wear or they get on the phone and talk about what they and their friends will be wearing. :laugh:
And what about the best excuse of them all, the one that truly can melt some of our hearts and we end up forgetting the whole "waiting game": "PERO MI AMOR, ME ESTOY PONIENDO HERMOSA PARA TI" ("But my love, I am making myself beautiful for YOU". Works all the darn time!!!!!.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Not quite!

JDJones said:
Respect for me and respect for the people we are going to meet.

When I was married with my first wife in Puerto Rico, waiting for her was a nightmare. I finally got tired of it, and started telling her" I am going to "X" place tomorrow. I am leaving at "X" time. If you want to go with me, be ready to go, or I leave without you. Then I would leave without her.
After she got left behind two or three times, she got the idea.
With Ingrid, it's a little different. Since she is a Dominican Republican,the more time I give her to get ready, the more time she takes. Plus, she doesn't learn from past mistakes. So, I have resigned myself to telling her that we have to be somewhere TWO hours in advance, in order to get out the door when we should.
Since she never learns from her mistakes, I figure this will work for at least a few years.
Actually, you are right and wrong.

There are some that truly do not respect whomever they are meeting but there are some that they truly are very respectful and they still are always late. I guess it's in the genes or something.

My x g/f, great gal but when she said "I am just putting some lipstick" I knew that it was going to be a 45 minutes wait!!!!.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It Is Just "One More Thing" In A Loooooong List Of NOt Caring About Others Feelings!

Like playing music LOUD at all times of the Night or Day!
About making a "Mess" and not cleaning it up.(Garbage In The streets!)
About driving like they own the road.
About using their "Brights" all the time at night.
About lieing about EVERYTHING! (I didn't break it,use it,see it,eat it,loose it,borrow it,etc.!)
"Empathy"and "Responsibility" are not Dominican traits!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Shyla

Mar 14, 2005
I have an idea...

miguel said:
###NOTE###NOTE###NOTE###NOTE###NOTE###NOTE###NOTE:::::

I know that what I am about to write happens in every single country on earth but since this is a DR site, I will write using the DR as an example. Also, it's an observation and not a complain. Also, I know that not everybody is the same.##Girls: STAY AWAY, :lick:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHY IN HELL DO DOMINICAN GIRLS TAKE SO LONG TO GET READY?!!!!!.

While I was in the DR a few weeks ago, if I was taking auntie Clara to dinner, she was late. If I was taking my female cousin out, she las late. If I was meeting a female friend for lunch, she was late. If I was taking mama Elena out, she was late, If I was taking my business partner out, she would show up 2 or 3 hours late. If I was taking my married friends out, they were late because of her.

To make things worse, they ALL had the same excuse: I WAS GETTING READY. I mean, how long does a person needs to put some makeup and some jeans on?.

I guess that to some dominicans, when they say "I'll be there in one hour", what they truly mean is "I will start getting ready in one hour".

Since they have no considerations for us, we should start doing things to them to drive them nuts for making us wait.

We should, as a newspaper said:

1- We should leave soggy towers on the floor
2- We should show fear during a horror flick
3- We should pass gas in front of them
4- We should drink to excess and then ask her "who are you?"
5- We should burp and blame it on them.
5- We should buy them underwear that are 3 sizes bigger.

But I must say, even after the long wait, when you see them so nicely dressed/made up, we forget about the darn wait.

Ps: this is nothing more than an innocent observation, just for fun since I am aware that they will never change.

Ok guys, anything else that we should do to them to get even?. Remember it's just for fun!
Don't consult the map from Caberette to SD. Make sure you take alot of precautions before you embark on your journey.
1-Check all mirrors to make sure you are the focus at all times.
2-Make sure the tires are in poor repair so you can check out her tire repair technique. hehe
3- Don't forget to hog the bathroom when you get to your destination, even a half hour will screw the whole "schedule" up.
4-It's a must that you you burp and make other unpleasant sounds in the bathroom. She won't want go in to freshen up. So you get to where you're going faster...
5-Refer to miguel's above!!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Que??

Shyla said:
Don't consult the map from Caberette to SD. Make sure you take alot of precautions before you embark on your journey.
1-Check all mirrors to make sure you are the focus at all times.
2-Make sure the tires are in poor repair so you can check out her tire repair technique. hehe
3- Don't forget to hog the bathroom when you get to your destination, even a half hour will screw the whole "schedule" up.
4-It's a must that you you burp and make other unpleasant sounds in the bathroom. She won't want go in to freshen up. So you get to where you're going faster...
5-Refer to miguel's above!!
Talking from experience?. Has someone done those things to you, hehe?.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
miguel said:
So you are one of them but with a "male flavor". You #$@$@#% traitor, hehe.

I am one of those that would rather "get there" an hour before rather than an hour later and it does not matter who I am meeting. Puntuality is my middle name, among other not so nice names, ;) .

But I do find myself, while on vacation in the DR, 95% late for everything but only because I have to wait for a dominican person to take me somewhere or I have to wait for a lovely to get ready for an outing, :eek:
Ha ha ha! :laugh:

I am a guy, I just posted that to bring to light the "cultural" factor.

When it comes to getting ready, I'm done in a few minutes like any guy anywhere.

Now that I think about it, I really don't know what women do that takes so much time!

Let's see, putting on a dress, some makeup, perfume, last touches on the hair, picking the right shoe, ah, that has to be it, the shoes especially with my fiance.

I really don't know why she has so many shoes, seems like one for every day of the year!

I tell her she only has two feet, and only needs one pair for certain occasions, with certain pairs being able to be used for multiple types of occassions, let it be a party/celebration, a night on the town, attending a performance at the Teatro Nacional, etc. Not much, but she wants pairs to match, etc etc etc

I don't get it.

I have a pair of Addidas sneakers for jogging, Timberland boots for when I go hiking in the national parks, and two pairs of Allen Edmonds (one in brown, the other in black).

The Allen Edmonds are the most comfortable shoes on earth, they don't wear you down! Plus, you can get them resold every few years and not have to pay the hefty initial price tag for new shoes. In addition, they never go out of style, anywhere on earth. Some people fringe when they hear me say I resole my shoes, but quite frankly, these shoes are very comfortable and if they can get resold, why not! It costs less anyways for such a high quality product. Besides, I have more important things to do for the money replacing these shoes would cost.

Anyways, as you can see, I have only a few shoes, each for their purpose (although the Allen Edmonds are in two colors for variations sake).

I really don't understand women with this regard and a few other things that would be out of topic if I were to post them here.

Again, I mentioned my habit to put the cultural aspect into this, since even upper crust people here does it too and not just the women, though the women are late because they take too long to dress, but the men, it's inate.

At least it's inate for people who have been influence by Mediterranean/Latin cultures.

Last edited:

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
I found a way to make them be on time.....

I had the same problem with my girlfriend. She was always taking way too long to get ready.

First let me tell you what did not work.

1) Told her I was going to pick her up at 8:00 pm american time.
2) Told her I was going to leave, and did leave after 1 hour waiting.
3) Told her I was going to pick her up at 8:00 and showed up at 10:00, after a couple of times she caught up on it and made me wait until 11:00pm

Finally I decided to tell her, since she was always late getting ready, to meet me at the place we were going. But that is not all, I made sure by the time she arrived (late of course), she saw me talking to other girls in the place.

I played innocent and mentioned how nice and friendly the dominican girls are, and I really did not mind anymore she was late coming to meet me.

Now I pick her up at 8:00 everytime and she is always ready :bandit:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Another perspective

First - sorry I am female! BUT I agree with you on this one. I detest when my female friends take so damn long to get ready. What the heck is that all about???

I have no idea what they do that takes so long!

I am ready in 22 minutes - no problem at all. Or, if I really take my time it can take a whole half an hour...

IN dating a Dominican male I had to set the rules straight. When he said I will pick you up at 10 pm, I made sure he understood 10 pm american time. At 10:20 I got in my car and went to find my friends.

The next day he was furious with me. I guess he didn't understand the rules very well. So, he said could we try again. No problem. This time he kept me waiting 2 hours and 45 minutes! No call! He shows up to tell me his sister in law called and he had to go to his brothers surprise party! Well surprise, we did not got out!

It is culturally acceptable to keep people waiting here. But it isn't to me and I will not accept that. To me it is disrespectful and arrogant.

But, it isn't just here! Happens all over the world and if we adjust to it or accept it then we condone it.

Now Miguel I like some of your thinking on how to get even. I 'll have to think up some of my own though, just can't seem me burping etc...... I'm pretty sure I will think of something....LOL

gsupa

Nov 14, 2004
JDJones said:
When I was married with my first wife in Puerto Rico, waiting for her was a nightmare. I finally got tired of it, and started telling her" I am going to "X" place tomorrow. I am leaving at "X" time. If you want to go with me, be ready to go, or I leave without you. Then I would leave without her.
After she got left behind two or three times, she got the idea.
With Ingrid, it's a little different. Since she is a Dominican Republican,the more time I give her to get ready, the more time she takes. Plus, she doesn't learn from past mistakes. So, I have resigned myself to telling her that we have to be somewhere TWO hours in advance, in order to get out the door when we should.
Since she never learns from her mistakes, I figure this will work for at least a few years.

Man, you have no class