Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For Guys Only!

I didn't last long...
    Post Thanks / Like

Default For Guys Only!

###NOTE###NOTE###NOTE###NOTE###NOTE###NOTE###NOTE:::::

I know that what I am about to write happens in every single country on earth but since this is a DR site, I will write using the DR as an example. Also, it's an observation and not a complain. Also, I know that not everybody is the same.##Girls: STAY AWAY,
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WHY IN HELL DO DOMINICAN GIRLS TAKE SO LONG TO GET READY?!!!!!.

While I was in the DR a few weeks ago, if I was taking auntie Clara to dinner, she was late. If I was taking my female cousin out, she las late. If I was meeting a female friend for lunch, she was late. If I was taking mama Elena out, she was late, If I was taking my business partner out, she would show up 2 or 3 hours late. If I was taking my married friends out, they were late because of her.

To make things worse, they ALL had the same excuse: I WAS GETTING READY. I mean, how long does a person needs to put some makeup and some jeans on?.

I guess that to some dominicans, when they say "I'll be there in one hour", what they truly mean is "I will start getting ready in one hour".

Since they have no considerations for us, we should start doing things to them to drive them nuts for making us wait.

We should, as a newspaper said:

1- We should leave soggy towers on the floor
    2- We should show fear during a horror flick
    3- We should pass gas in front of them
    4- We should drink to excess and then ask her "who are you?"
    5- We should burp and blame it on them.
    5- We should buy them underwear that are 3 sizes bigger.

But I must say, even after the long wait, when you see them so nicely dressed/made up, we forget about the darn wait.

Ps: this is nothing more than an innocent observation, just for fun since I am aware that they will never change.

Ok guys, anything else that we should do to them to get even?. Remember it's just for fun!
    Last edited by miguel; 05-19-2005 at 01:10 AM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You should of told them American time not Dominican time and Im going back to DR in June for 18 days oh my not Dominican Time again.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Dominicans have a sense of time. However, it is different from the Western culture. It is in the Dominican culture to be late (about one hour or so depending upon the occasion).. this is expected and everyone knows this and plans accordingly.. showing up on time for a visit could actually lead to embarassing situations.. like the host not being ready etc...

If you want to make sure people are on time you have two choices:

1) Lie and advance the start time by about one hour.. this usually helps
    2) If you don't want to use that it helps when you tell them American Time.. then they know to be on time..

If they are still late after you use 1) or 2) and some kind urging not to do so.. cancel the date/outing/whatever.. then they are just not interested.. or will wise up very quickly..

On a personal note; I think it is important to realise that a different culture means different ways of looking at things.. rather than asking the world to change it may be best if you see the situation through their eyes and adjust your own behaviour to get what you want without offending people.. as a result I usually use 1) or 2) and have very limited problems in my planning..

Enjoy!

MD

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MerengueDutchie
    Dominicans have a sense of time. However, it is different from the Western culture. It is in the Dominican culture to be late (about one hour or so depending upon the occasion).. this is expected and everyone knows this and plans accordingly.. showing up on time for a visit could actually lead to embarassing situations.. like the host not being ready etc...

If you want to make sure people are on time you have two choices:

1) Lie and advance the start time by about one hour.. this usually helps
    2) If you don't want to use that it helps when you tell them American Time.. then they know to be on time..

If they are still late after you use 1) or 2) and some kind urging not to do so.. cancel the date/outing/whatever.. then they are just not interested.. or will wise up very quickly..

On a personal note; I think it is important to realise that a different culture means different ways of looking at things.. rather than asking the world to change it may be best if you see the situation through their eyes and adjust your own behaviour to get what you want without offending people.. as a result I usually use 1) or 2) and have very limited problems in my planning..

Enjoy!

MD
    I dont think it is only a Dominican thing with being late it is also Caribbea West Indian thing to.

I didn't last long...
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I get your point but.....!

Quote Originally Posted by MerengueDutchie

Enjoy!

MD
    This is more than true but if you read the "PS" on my thread, I state that "I know that they will never change". It's impossible. It would be like telling guys to pee sitting down all the time, hehe.

In all fairness, I rather wait for a girl than a guy!.

Btw, girls, this is not a putdown, just venting some centuries worth of frustrations,
    Last edited by miguel; 05-19-2005 at 12:19 PM.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldobklyn
    I dont think it is only a Dominican thing with being late it is also Caribbea West Indian thing to.
    This is a very Latin thing.

It's probably due to the influential Portuguese and Spanish influences that abound in this region. The Portuguese, Spaniards, and even Italians are notoriously late to meetings.

Actually, in Italy, Southern Italians tend to be late, northern Italians when they say it's at 3pm, at 3pm it is, not a minute before or later.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose it has to do with expectations.

I even do this from time to time if I know the people I will be meeting with are family members or simply, other Latin Americans.

However, if they are Europeans, Canadians, or Americans, I'm always on time, especially the first time I meet with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nal0whs
    This is a very Latin thing.

Actually, in Italy, Southern Italians tend to be late.
    I guess we've been here too long. My sisters are always on time or 10 mins early. If they are 10 mins late we would have to send out the search party.

My daughter (born in Canada) is always late. We tell her to be somewhere an hour earlier so she'll be on time.

I think what makes women late is if they don't know what to wear or they get on the phone and talk about what they and their friends will be wearing.

I didn't last long...
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ahaaaaaaa!

Quote Originally Posted by Nal0whs
    I even do this from time to time if I know the people I will be meeting with are family members or simply, other Latin Americans.

However, if they are Europeans, Canadians, or Americans, I'm always on time, especially the first time I meet with them.
    So you are one of them but with a "male flavor". You #[email protected][email protected]#% traitor, hehe.

I am one of those that would rather "get there" an hour before rather than an hour later and it does not matter who I am meeting. Puntuality is my middle name, among other not so nice names, .

But I do find myself, while on vacation in the DR, 95% late for everything but only because I have to wait for a dominican person to take me somewhere or I have to wait for a lovely to get ready for an outing,
    Last edited by miguel; 05-19-2005 at 12:38 PM.

I didn't last long...
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Or!

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Coniglio
    I think what makes women late is if they don't know what to wear or they get on the phone and talk about what they and their friends will be wearing.
    And what about the best excuse of them all, the one that truly can melt some of our hearts and we end up forgetting the whole "waiting game": "PERO MI AMOR, ME ESTOY PONIENDO HERMOSA PARA TI" ("But my love, I am making myself beautiful for YOU". Works all the darn time!!!!!.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast