etimology of VAINA ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESOLteacher

Dec 14, 2004
Does anyone know how VAINA came into common usage, as in "esa vaina" and "me gusta esa vaina"? I understand what it means, my questions is about how it came to be used this way and what language it came from originally. Thanks in advance for your comments. ESOL.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My understanding is that vaina is a Spanish word for sheath, like where you put a sword. Therein is the sexual connotation. And once we have a word, it can take on many meanings from its usage.
Just like the word screw in English.
So now, maybe Mr. Linguistics person (you know who you are) can add the other missing bits of information, and correct any others.
:) mkohn

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
mkohn said:
My understanding is that vaina is a Spanish word for sheath, like where you put a sword. Therein is the sexual connotation. And once we have a word, it can take on many meanings from its usage.
Just like the word screw in English.
So now, maybe Mr. Linguistics person (you know who you are) can add the other missing bits of information, and correct any others.
:) mkohn

But from what I can make out in conversations between my dominican friends it is used often to say.... Well how do i explain ....Like if there is something that the person doesn't know about they will say "es una vaina" (the unknown). So for example....

-Tu sabes que Celene tiene un novio?
-De veras! no se. es una vaina. (still trying to figure out accents on the keyboard....)

Again this is what I can make out of conversations but really it seems to me like a filler word. The other day 2 of my male friends were talking and one used it like 10 times!! Not always used sexually.

MG

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Etimology

ESOLteacher said:
Does anyone know how VAINA came into common usage, as in "esa vaina" and "me gusta esa vaina"? I understand what it means, my questions is about how it came to be used this way and what language it came from originally. Thanks in advance for your comments. ESOL.

Am rather sure it comes from Latin ...and it has I believe something with "vagina" ..
The word VAINA has different meanings :

- sheath
- shell (fruit or vegetable )
- nuisance
- nitwit

the meaning of "to screw " is apparently only used in the caribean dialect

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Related

The worst usage for that term vaina/baina is on Sundays when I watch Santo Domingo invita and they have the vaina phone card, is so friggin' annoying.
My favorite is cual el la vaina?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I first heard this word used in its

Present context over 35 years ago. Julio Cross, a well known personality in today's Dominican Republic (Former Superintendent of Electricity and then Superintendent of Banks) was one of the first "educated" people I ever heard use the term to mean "thing" . Like in "P?same esa vaina".

And we were on a softball field...

In fact, for the longest time, it seemed like Julio was the only one around the UCMM campus that used the word a lot in the non-sexual, non-botanica sense.

"Qu? vaina lo tuyo!" was a favorite....Almost translates to 'What a pain you are!'

While not on the same plane as the good ol' Anglo-Saxon term that is so dear to us all-which should actually be used instead of "golf" for that game, but apparently that four-lettered word was used to mean that before golf became golf...:( Oh well....."vaina" is with us in the Dominican Republic to stay for a long time. I supose that it is almost the Dominican substitute for "Like" , or "You know" or "thing" when a person has to fill in with "something"

Like those wonderful lists we have received by email that list the myrid uses of "Phuck" and "schitt" , 'vaina" has a lot of uses.

T? eres una vaina! = You are somethng else, man! Or "What an a$$hole!"
Echar una vaina = to cause a problem
Qu? Vaina! = Holy schitt!
Que vaina es esa? = What's that?

And so on and so forth

HB :p:p

Status
Not open for further replies.