Problems phoning the DR

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
For the past couple of weeks I've not been able to reach cell phones in the DR. The last two days no luck reaching land lines either. I use Tel3 and 1016-868 and neither gets through. Have others been having this problem? If not please advise your calling method from the states. Maybe my Verizon service here has put the hex on me to pay their 60 or 63 cents a minute?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
boca chica dave said:
For the past couple of weeks I've not been able to reach cell phones in the DR. The last two days no luck reaching land lines either. I use Tel3 and 1016-868 and neither gets through. Have others been having this problem? If not please advise your calling method from the states. Maybe my Verizon service here has put the hex on me to pay their 60 or 63 cents a minute?
Buddy, try pre-paid cards. They are sold in every single grocery store. Less expensive.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
boca chica dave said:

I also use Tel3 and have had some quality issues ofer the past few days. Could be due to all of the rain they have had.

Chuckuindy

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Jimmydr said:
Maybe one day the tele companies will have better prices and I can call from from a landline to a landline. Now its like 79cents a minute from Verizon.

There are other services. www.skype.com is one.
0,109 cents/min incl. tax to call to DR.

Last edited:

MrNiceGuy

Sep 12, 2004
Try Sprint

I have found ALL services using VOIP are inconsistent, poor connections, lines drop, only one part can hear, can't get through bla bla bla.

I'm going back to direct connect. Sprint long distance is 17 cents a minute. A little more than the phone cards but if you think about all the time you waste, it's actually cheaper.

Oh yes, there is also a $5.95 monthly fee to add on top of the 17 cents.

Just my opinion...

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
MrNiceGuy said:
I have found ALL services using VOIP are inconsistent, poor connections, lines drop, only one part can hear, can't get through bla bla bla.

I'm going back to direct connect. Sprint long distance is 17 cents a minute. A little more than the phone cards but if you think about all the time you waste, it's actually cheaper.

Oh yes, there is also a $5.95 monthly fee to add on top of the 17 cents.

Just my opinion...

There are many, many that are cheap today.
Just do a search here on the board and there many suggestions, I remember this have been discussed before.
I use Skype and have no problems at all, when calling home to Euorpe or getting calls here through Skype.

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
carina said:
There are many, many that are cheap today.
Just do a search here on the board and there many suggestions, I remember this have been discussed before.
I use Skype and have no problems at all, when calling home to Euorpe or getting calls here through Skype.

I also call direct. I use Primus though, but it's also 17 cents a minute. BUT the monthly fee is less..it's like $2.95 or something. The connection is almost always perfect...although the last week it has been a little worse than normal. But it's definitely better than any phone card I've ever used.

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
TEL3 is the best deal I've found. No problem up to now. Maybe it is the rain. I was able to get through yesterday to land lines but not a Verizon cell. Same today

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Quality Sucks

boca chica dave said:
TEL3 is the best deal I've found. No problem up to now. Maybe it is the rain. I was able to get through yesterday to land lines but not a Verizon cell. Same today

I can get through on Tel3 but the quality sucks.