A night from HELL!!!!

TorontoBlonde

Feb 10, 2005
Ok, I am writing this thread because I have truly had the night from hell!! For the record I love living here and this post is not meant to discourage anyone from visiting. I think this information may be useful to any of those people who live here, and hope you don?t ever have this happen.

I have a good friend here who I have known for years. A totally platonic friendship, he is a very good person, he is honest and loyal, works hard, has his own car, and comes from a good family. The same things I would look for in a friend in my country of origin.

Today was his 25th birthday so all of his family and friends gathered to celebrate at his house. The night started off very nice. Later this evening we went to the disco in Sosua. Now I should mention my aunt is in town so I have a car rental. My friend?s 21 year old brother also a good friend was the designated driver.

When we were in the disco my friends younger brother said he was going over to the other disco (walking distance from the disco) to see if it was busy. I didn?t realize at this time he still had my keys.

When my roommate said she was going home I realized I didn?t have my keys. I said to my friend "let?s go to the other disco to get my key from your brother". When we left we noticed my car was not parked out front, it was gone.

My friend also had his car so we went to the car and called his brothers cell phone. He had gone cruising around with 3 of his friends and the Policia Nacional pulled him over. They asked for their I.D. and after they showed it they took them to the jail. FOR ABSOLUTLY NO REASON. My friend?s brother is not a bad kid.

Well when we called they hadn?t taken his things so he had his cell phone and told us where he was. We immediately went to the police station. What happened when I got there is what I couldn?t believe. These police were ruthless. They had like 15 girls and 15 guys, all kids I see around picked up for no reason. I heard one girl on her cell calling for help saying if she paid 7000RD they would let her out.

I was very upset, they took my car. The stripped my friend?s brother and his friends of his shoes right in front of us. They were treating the people waiting to go in jail like garbage.

My friend handled the situation like a man. I was freaking out and somehow in the 1st 5 minutes we were there he got my car keys from his brother. When they took his brother away we called his father and a lawyer who came right away. No dought they are still in the Police Station now.

Anyway some big scuffle happened and 2 of the cops were arguing and almost had a fight over something which at this point we were at the back of the parking lot by the car. My friend took my key, jumped in my car and drove away and none of them noticed a thing. Then he drove me home safe and sound with my car.

His brother and 2 friends are still in jail. His father and the lawyer will be out there all night, and he had a really lousy birthday. I said to his father that had he not taken my car out joy riding without permission nothing would have happened. He wasn?t surprised and said this is something they do and it doesn?t matter who you are when they do these little sweeps.

It is absolutely true. I saw not only Dominicans being brought in there. I also saw other people of different races. In the 2 hours I was there I saw car loads of people being brought in one after another for reasons like not having I.D. or not have there original ownership in their car - PUT IN JAIL FOR THESE REASONS!!! They wait on the road in front of the station and Playero and stop every single car.

I am disgusted because if you look at this from the tourism perspective I have been living here 3 months and my aunt is here on vacation staying in a resort, we rent a car and a friend borrows it. I can?t believe when I went to the police and explained it they took him to jail and tried to keep the rental.

I want to write a letter to the tourism minister about what happened because I am sure these police could put their time, and resources to better use then harassing people in a tourism area to such extremes.

I would appreciate any information anyone who lives here might have on this situation.

Toronto Blonde

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Things like that will not change. You see, Dominicans accept things like that as normal. The police abuse them. The government abuses them. The majority of the populace is forced to live in poverty and accept these things but they dont care as long as they have a few pesos for a grande or some brugal. Some of them, who dont even have a few pesos fopr some brugal, put their families in yolas bound for PuertoRico in search of a better life. Some others have sex with men for money in massage parlors beacuse that is the only way they can make money as a result of governmental misdeeds. However, they dont complain. Instead, they will find any fault they can with foreigners or blame the American government for anything they can. Some of them even were burning American flags in SD a couple of years ago as a protest to American occupation in Iraq. Now thats ironic isn't it? Burning an American flag when your own government is the one screwing you. Most of them couldn't even find the United states on a map but they will burn an American flag. Give them a Dominican flag on the other hand, and they will wave it and cry " viva la Republica!". Can anyone esle see what is wrong with this picture? Anyone.........Bueller........anyone...???

As the old saying goes...'it's time to clean up your own back yard'................................................if you could only see past your nose.

Larry

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Well, I don't know what others will think, but if someone takes my car without my permission and goes for a joyride, I would hope that the police pick them up. Maybe the treatment that people get at the station is unfair, but they did take your car without your permission. Anywhere else, that would be considered theft. Sorry the youngsters are still in jail. If they had not taken your car without your permission, they would not be there. Am I stupid here?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Chris said:
Sorry the youngsters are still in jail.

As soon as the owner of the car went to the police station and explained that permission was given to drive the car the prisioners should have been released. We are talking about personal property here and there is no crime without a complaintant. The only reason why the kids were taken into custody in the first place and why they still have not been released is because the police see opportunity to line their pockets. That is the big picture here.

Larry

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Right, the police are lining their pockets. No argument there. That's the big picture. But young ones taking a vehicle without permission? Is that not the little picture that is just more scary than the big one?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Chris said:
Right, the police are lining their pockets. No argument there. That's the big picture. But young ones taking a vehicle without permission? Is that not the little picture that is just more scary than the big one?

Well Chris, all I can say is we definately have a difference of opinion here.

Larry

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
You are wasting your time!

TorontoBlonde said:
Ok, I am writing this thread because I have truly had the night from hell!! For the record I love living here and this post is not meant to discourage anyone from visiting. I think this information may be useful to any of those people who live here, and hope you don’t ever have this happen.

When we were in the disco my friends younger brother said he was going over to the other disco (walking distance from the disco) to see if it was busy. I didn’t realize at this time he still had my keys.

When my roommate said she was going home I realized I didn’t have my keys. I said to my friend "let’s go to the other disco to get my key from your brother". When we left we noticed my car was not parked out front, it was gone.

My friend also had his car so we went to the car and called his brothers cell phone. He had gone cruising around with 3 of his friends and the Policia Nacional pulled him over. They asked for their I.D. and after they showed it they took them to the jail. FOR ABSOLUTLY NO REASON. My friend’s brother is not a bad kid.

Well when we called they hadn’t taken his things so he had his cell phone and told us where he was. We immediately went to the police station. What happened when I got there is what I couldn’t believe. These police were ruthless. They had like 15 girls and 15 guys, all kids I see around picked up for no reason. I heard one girl on her cell calling for help saying if she paid 7000RD they would let her out.

I was very upset, they took my car. The stripped my friend’s brother and his friends of his shoes right in front of us. They were treating the people waiting to go in jail like garbage.

My friend handled the situation like a man. I was freaking out and somehow in the 1st 5 minutes we were there he got my car keys from his brother. When they took his brother away we called his father and a lawyer who came right away. No dought they are still in the Police Station now.

Anyway some big scuffle happened and 2 of the cops were arguing and almost had a fight over something which at this point we were at the back of the parking lot by the car. My friend took my key, jumped in my car and drove away and none of them noticed a thing. Then he drove me home safe and sound with my car.

His brother and 2 friends are still in jail. His father and the lawyer will be out there all night, and he had a really lousy birthday. I said to his father that had he not taken my car out joy riding without permission nothing would have happened. He wasn’t surprised and said this is something they do and it doesn’t matter who you are when they do these little sweeps.

It is absolutely true. I saw not only Dominicans being brought in there. I also saw other people of different races. In the 2 hours I was there I saw car loads of people being brought in one after another for reasons like not having I.D. or not have there original ownership in their car - PUT IN JAIL FOR THESE REASONS!!! They wait on the road in front of the station and Playero and stop every single car.

I am disgusted because if you look at this from the tourism perspective I have been living here 3 months and my aunt is here on vacation staying in a resort, we rent a car and a friend borrows it. I can’t believe when I went to the police and explained it they took him to jail and tried to keep the rental.

I want to write a letter to the tourism minister about what happened because I am sure these police could put their time, and resources to better use then harassing people in a tourism area to such extremes.

I would appreciate any information anyone who lives here might have on this situation.

Toronto Blonde
Listen, I am one of the biggest critiquer of the Dominican government, their politicos and police force. I have voiced my opinions of them on this forum and also on a open forum while attending "big fishes" functions while in the DR. But I will be darn if I blame EVERTHING on them.

Yes, they tend to abuse their "powers" and it's something that just about every single dominican is aware of and they have, the hard way, learned to live with it. It does not mean that they agree with it, it's just that they know that corruption WILL ALWAYS be the norm to some of these people.

Blame whomever you want if you want to make yourself happy or if you want to understand the dominican way of "doing things".. Yes, the police are known to use brute force and are always looking for a bribe, but the fact of the matter is that if your friend had not taken your car without your permission, this would not be happening to him right now!!!!!.

He is dominican and he knows the "rules". For those that did not had their I.D's, I don't even live there and I know that YOU MUST have your cedula with you ALL THE TIME.

Let me guess, he was driving a car that it was not his, he had no registration for the car, he is not listed as a driver in the contract. For all you know, they asked for the car's registration. Care to know what would happen to people here if a cop finds you driving a car that it's not yours and that you had no permission to drive?. Granted, SOME cops would not treat you like garbage but you would be in alot of trouble.

You say that he is nice kid. Maybe he is but you need to realize that he is at fault here. He took your car without your permission(which, by the way, it's a crime)and gave those corrupted Jack Axes a motive to "show" people that they had "power". Had he not taken your car and stayed with you guys at the club, this would had not happened to him.

Again, blame everybody else but him but I must tell you that you should be happy that he did not kill someone while driving your car because guess who would be in ALOT of trouble right now?. Yes, you guessed right, YOU!.

Ps: I am not defending the police, NEVER. I am just saying that this could had been avoided if he had not taken your car without permission.

Pss: When are people going to realize the 2 WRONGS DOES NOT MAKE A RIGHT!.

Btw, the only time that I have ever been inside a police precint as a "prisoner" was when I saw a fricking Iranian burning my American flag in front of the United Nations about 15 years ago, but that's another topic.

Last edited:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
The new chief in Sosua, former NYPD police officer said officially to call him directly if any problems or unfair treatments in his area.
So do it.

Chief of Police Coronel Thomas H Grullart.
The number at the police station for him is 571-2475 and his Cell Phone number is 883-2046.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004

I've heard that two wrongs don't make a right but three rights do make a left.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Toronto Blonde

First of all, Happy Birthday to your friend.

In 1998 my driver was pulled over in Sosua as well and we were diverted
to visit with Sosua's "finest" to determine if his documentation was valid.
We spent about 45 minutes there before getting out of Sosua after a small
prope?a was left.

I hope that things will improve under Captain Grullart,

JD

TorontoBlonde

Feb 10, 2005
Thanks

Thanks I have programed the number in my cell

Toronto Blonde

carina said:
The new chief in Sosua, former NYPD police officer said officially to call him directly if any problems or unfair treatments in his area.
So do it.

The number at the police station for him is 571-2475 and his Cell Phone number is 883-2046.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
TorontoBlonde said:
Ok, I am writing this thread because I have truly had the night from hell!!

Toronto Blonde
Just look at this way...

Sometimes things happens for a reason
I think what he is going through is nothing compared to a funeral especially if he was already liquored up when he took your car.

carina said:
So do it.

He is not or ever was a NYPD officer. He was enlisted in the Army in the US, He maybe from NY but was not a Police officer there.
Badpiece

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
badpiece33 said:
He is not or ever was a NYPD officer. He was enlisted in the Army in the US, He maybe from NY but was not a Police officer there.
Badpiece
He said he retired from NYPD. Why do you say he didn't work there and wasn't in the NYPD?

I would be interested to hear.

Escott

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Corupt Police/corupt Country

WELCOME TO THE DR !!
miguel said:
Listen, I am one of the biggest critiquer of the Dominican government, their politicos and police force. I have voiced my opinions of them on this forum and also on a open forum while attending "big fishes" functions while in the DR. But I will be darn if I blame EVERTHING on them.

Yes, they tend to abuse their "powers" and it's something that just about every single dominican is aware of and they have, the hard way, learned to live with it. It does not mean that they agree with it, it's just that they know that corruption WILL ALWAYS be the norm to some of these people.

Blame whomever you want if you want to make yourself happy or if you want to understand the dominican way of "doing things".. Yes, the police are known to use brute force and are always looking for a bribe, but the fact of the matter is that if your friend had not taken your car without your permission, this would not be happening to him right now!!!!!.

He is dominican and he knows the "rules". For those that did not had their I.D's, I don't even live there and I know that YOU MUST have your cedula with you ALL THE TIME.

Let me guess, he was driving a car that it was not his, he had no registration for the car, he is not listed as a driver in the contract. For all you know, they asked for the car's registration. Care to know what would happen to people here if a cop finds you driving a car that it's not yours and that you had no permission to drive?. Granted, SOME cops would not treat you like garbage but you would be in alot of trouble.

You say that he is nice kid. Maybe he is but you need to realize that he is at fault here. He took your car without your permission(which, by the way, it's a crime)and gave those corrupted Jack Axes a motive to "show" people that they had "power". Had he not taken your car and stayed with you guys at the club, this would had not happened to him.

Again, blame everybody else but him but I must tell you that you should be happy that he did not kill someone while driving your car because guess who would be in ALOT of trouble right now?. Yes, you guessed right, YOU!.

Ps: I am not defending the police, NEVER. I am just saying that this could had been avoided if he had not taken your car without permission.

Btw, the only time that I have ever been inside a police precint as a "prisoner" was when I saw a fricking Iranian burning my American flag in front of the United Nations about 15 years ago, but that's another topic.