Metal detector use

csa

Apr 13, 2005
What are the laws regarding the use of metal detectors on the beaches in Dominican Republic? We will be staying at the Casa Marina in Sosua and was wanting to bring my equipment along to look for jewelry.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
csa said:
What are the laws regarding the use of metal detectors on the beaches in Dominican Republic? We will be staying at the Casa Marina in Sosua and was wanting to bring my equipment along to look for jewelry.

I don?t think there are any, as the beaches are public areas..
wow.. that is one of the most unusual questions I think I?ve seen on this forum?
Do you do this at other places? What do you find?

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Two Dominican's I know....

................have two of the metal detectors that are submersable and are of good quality ($500 to $600.US) that were brought from the US by their family. They have been using them on the beaches in Cofresi and Costambar and I know that they are at the Compra Venta every day (not quite but you get the point) selling stuff.

They have found QUITE a bit. We have one that is not that good quality and find much much less. My watchman and gardner use it every once in a while and find more "peso's" than jewelry.........I think you need a good machine to find the good stuff.....

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Detecting

No rules in the DR. Most don't even know what they are. Have been using one in Punta Cana for 3 years with no problem.Some resorts may have restrictions if your not a guest but in general you'll be ok. The bigest problem is concealing all those goods going through customs without paying a duty. You have to "smuggle" it however you can....What's wrong with that?????? Good luck