2 months in Santiago, where can I stay??

NewinSantiago

May 24, 2005
Hi,
I will be staying in Santiago for at least 2 months. I would like to know if it is easy to find a simple, furnished apartment or house. I need to be able to install internet via cable modem or similar high-speed internet access. Aparthotel option is fine as long as they have fast internet access. I can pay up to $400/month, maybe a little more if the place is quite nice. I will appreciate the advice from all the experts on this forum. THANKS

gsupa

Nov 14, 2004
NewinSantiago said:
Hi,
I will be staying in Santiago for at least 2 months. I would like to know if it is easy to find a simple, furnished apartment or house. I need to be able to install internet via cable modem or similar high-speed internet access. Aparthotel option is fine as long as they have fast internet access. I can pay up to $400/month, maybe a little more if the place is quite nice. I will appreciate the advice from all the experts on this forum. THANKS

For that kind of money you could rent a condo in sosua and you'd live in a city with clean air...The air of Santiago is very polluted, simply unbreathable (for me) It is true that in Santiago you find very beautiful dominican women, but the city itself is not that great, compared to other cities like Santo Domingo which is much more active. Santiago is a bit like a ghost town with no real thing going on, except business. Have fun anyway!

NewinSantiago

May 24, 2005
Thanks for your comments, gsupa. I've been told most "available" women in Sosua are prostitutes or close to it. I'm not looking for prostitution or an exciting nightlife. I'm just looking for cute university students. I am young and speak Spanish so I think it won't be too hard. Thanks.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Santiago

Stick with the university girls, or if you want a "nice" dominican girl, you'll find her in Santiago not Sosua. Sosua is not as authentic dominican as where you're going Santiago is the second largest city next to Santo Domingo, very historical, can be a little on the warm side, being interior, but a better choice then up north where expats and prostitution rules, great place to check out if you have not visited the pop area. Have a great trip.....

NewinSantiago

May 24, 2005
Is Santiago too polluted??

Is Santiago really too polluted?? How does it compare to Los Angeles, California?? Thanks.

NewinSantiago

May 24, 2005
So, will it be easy to find a simple, furnished apartment/home in Santiago???
How about internet via cable modem?? How fast is it?
Any hotels in Santiago that have high-speed internet access in the rooms??

gsupa

Nov 14, 2004
Sosua has the best beach of the entire DR and Santiago has the most beautiful and educated women in the DR. Don't forget that many expats live with their family on the North Coast and others have santiagueras girlfriends. As for people who say there are hookers here, I'll have to disagree. Obviously, these people never really travelled very far on the planet. Go to Bombay or Tijuana, there you will see real prostitution, not in sosua, these girls are more looking for a boyfriend... Have fun in Santiago and if you really want to impress your date, rent a BMW and spend a romantic afternoon at Sosua beach or on a boat on sosua bay, beautiful sunset! No need to wear oxygen mask here. I'd say Santiago is as hot as downtown LA in the summer but with more pollution, traffic is crazy. Some people might disagree though but that's been my experience so far.

Don Tomas

Jun 22, 2004
NewinSantiago said:
Is Santiago really too polluted?? How does it compare to Los Angeles, California?? Thanks.

Compared to LA, Santiago has much better air quality.

Personally I travel to DR about every 2 months, almost all my time is spent in Santiago.

The Ciabo valley doesn't trap the smog like it does in LA so the air is refreshed often, but the smog does get a little thick around rush hour.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The only place

Where you might find a longer term (2 months) rental would be at Alberto's Suites Aparta-Hotel (809 971 6005) It is close to downtown, cool, nowhere near any pollution sites..(And that is a very unfair comment about Santiago BTW. It is NOT polluted even close to LA or NYC for that matter.)

I sent you a PM with a possible alternative solution depending on your time of arrival and departure.

HB:D:D

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
This Sosua person is really misleading you. Sosua is a not Caberate and I can only think he must have the two confused. But visit Sosua, Caberate, and Santiago and you will get the picture.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
gsupa said:
Sosua has the best beach of the entire DR As for people who say there are hookers here, I'll have to disagree. Obviously, these people never really travelled very far on the planet. Go to Bombay or Tijuana, there you will see real prostitution, not in sosua, these girls are more looking for a boyfriend

Oh Please! Could you share some of whatever it is that you're smoking?

NewinSantiago

May 24, 2005
Hillbilly

Hillbilly,

Thanks for the tip about Alberto's. Does anybody know if they have a website, email address, pictures online, info, etc... ??
Thanks to all!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Your best bet is to arrive in Santiago and stay at the Hotel Coloniel for a few days. During that time you can track down a place to stay for two months.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Sosua Or Santiago

Punta Cana has the best beachs, Santiago the best all Dominican senorita's and Sosua the best prostitudes. Kind of reminds me of Thiland in the late 60,s. I wouldn't mind a little of what he's smoking too...........

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Santiago beautiful

No need to worry about the smog. In general women wear baggy pants to hide their size but are very educated and pretty. Women with nice bodies you must go to the White House and see AZB harem. Now if you'd like to see nightlife and smokers I mean smokers you must travel north to .......pop,sosua. Priceless. ;)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
ggn420 said:
Punta Cana has the best beachs, Santiago the best all Dominican senorita's and Sosua the best prostitudes. Kind of reminds me of Thiland in the late 60,s. I wouldn't mind a little of what he's smoking too...........

Its a matter of opinions, but for you guys who have not strayed too far from the touristy areas IMO The Salcedo area has the most beautiful girls in The DR (Santiago is larger so it may be a matter of quantity) and Samana has the most beautiful beaches. As to prostitutes I can't help you there...

gsupa

Nov 14, 2004
This is getting a very interesting debate. First of all, if you read closely, I said "The air of Santiago is very polluted, simply unbreathable (for me)"
So this is my personal opinion, you're not entitled to believe what I said. However, I stand behind my words, I went several times to Santiago and
I repeat, Santiago is indeed very polluted to me and more than LA (I think). Actually there is some logic in this. When you look at the large number of motoconchos and guaguas that roam Santiago, you might expect higher levels of pollution. See again, "I think". You're free to think the opposite, actually you'll welcome to do so, this is a bulletin board afterall.

Now since you guys worry so much about what I smoke in Sosua, I did a quick study on Google to get an overview of what my fellow santiagueros
have been smoking these days. This part requires some knowledge in spanish. If you can read spanish, feel free to take a few minutes and read the entire articles, it gives a good insight of what's really going on down there :

http://www.hoy.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=27122

Also here :
http://www.listin.com.do/antes/mayo03/270503/cuerpos/regiones/reg3.htm

I'm not trying to give a bad rap to this city like others would do for Sosua with no reason or back up evidence. Ignorance does enough damages all around the world already. It's a question of seeking the Truth.

To sum it up, I believe there are some tradeoffs when you live in Santiago. It's indeed the place where you can meet very beautiful, educated women . It's also a place where you can do business, find furnitures, cars, anything you want, at a very good price. However, on the other side, just like any other industrialized city, it's heavily polluted compared to smaller cities. So if you're looking for cleaner air, you might want to head for Sosua or any other city that is not that industrialized. As for a difference in pollution between Santo Domingo and Santiago, I believe SD being much closer to the sea is less polluted. Just like Santa Monica has less pollution than Downtown LA. ;)

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Clean Air ?

Looking back to the start of this thread.........He is going to be in Santiago for two months........Looking for info on hotels, possibly girls in Santiago. Where did polution and Sosua come from ??? Nobody mentioned anything or asked for any info on Sosua. If you're interested you can start a new thread on Sosua or I can give you the web ad for a great Sosua forum net. Have a wonderfull day.............................................

gsupa

Nov 14, 2004
Ok I got you. So, let's let this poor guy get his lungs all filled up with chemicals/toxines for 2 months. We know there's pollution there,
let's just not talk about it. Heck, it's only 2 months!!! Okidoki, you're such a genius, why didn't I think about this before?

Since you seem to love it so much, let's make one experience. Tomorrow, you take a deep breath for me at 1pm at any intersection in Santiago. Fill up your lungs with this santiago clean air as much as you can for me please then, expire and say loud and very loud "I'm loving It!". Repeat 5 times. Read the articles I posted above. Repeat 5 times. Now keep doing this for a few weeks. Can you? Believe me it will do wonders on your brain. You have to believe me!!! At that time, I'll be at the beach sipping my pina colada in the blue waters of sosua with my santiaguera girlfriend. Isn't life good ? You're too smart for me, too smart. I got two dogs and they're smart too, sucker!

ggn420 said:
Looking back to the start of this thread.........He is going to be in Santiago for two months........Looking for info on hotels, possibly girls in Santiago. Where did polution and Sosua come from ??? Nobody mentioned anything or asked for any info on Sosua. If you're interested you can start a new thread on Sosua or I can give you the web ad for a great Sosua forum net. Have a wonderfull day.............................................

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Smoke And Dogs

Looks like you have three dogs to me. I bet you're an advocate for smoking too. Let's rain on this poor guys parade. You don't get the point' do you??? Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Go have a pina colada with your dogs, all three of them, I will help this guy out off the forum.......No wonder he is not interested in Sosua, he probably has a life