Thinking of buying a house in DR

The Dane

May 25, 2005
Hiii....
I just want to know, would I be welcome among the local people in DR, if I bought a house, or would I be pretty much on my own??? I am not old, only 28, but I am facinated by the DR... But I have read so much, and dont know what to believe.... Is there any places that are dangerous to go if u are a white man??? And how about work on the island, is there need for construction workers??? Hope some of u will answer my q?s....

bye for now

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No work for white construction workers!

Nearly all construction work is currently being done by Haitian immigrants.

I do not think you could live on what they make.

HB :p

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Dane said:
Hiii....
I just want to know, would I be welcome among the local people in DR, if I bought a house, or would I be pretty much on my own??? I am not old, only 28, but I am facinated by the DR... But I have read so much, and dont know what to believe.... Is there any places that are dangerous to go if u are a white man??? And how about work on the island, is there need for construction workers??? Hope some of u will answer my q?s....

If you are the kind of person who gets along with other people where you live, than you will here, too.

Generally speaking, the kind of places that are dangerous are not places you would likely want to go. Probably in the city where you live there are places that you wouldn't want to walk through at night. Same here. But other than that, you can pretty much go where you want without fear. My wife and I have been living here for 19 years. We wouldn't have stayed that long if we thought it was dangerous.

Finding employment is not easy, but if you are able to tend bar or do whatever else might need to be done someplace you will probably find something. But you will have to be here to meet people and look for work. If you don't have the resources to support yourself for about 6 months, then you had better think again about relocating to the DR.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Fasinated By D.r. Hmmm.......

Well.. first you are going to have to explain to all your neighbors, why you are there...all the time.

second I hope you have a big Gun handy, because your a walking $20.00 dollar bill get it ;)

Get especially ready to pay more then everybody else, there is no way around it you will have to except this!

But! you will not have any trouble making friends, go to the beaches, movie theatre, el Malecon etc that's if your in the Capital area.

But other then that go explore, find yourself a good quality local girl, and just take it all in and relax...

P.S. for jobs go to the Free zones...there are several telecommunication companies doing business there. and always looking for english speaking workers.

mrmagic

Nov 25, 2003
ive travelled freely and have never had any dramas other than the ' you no want my wood carving....you no have $2' or 'you want massage' type comments. They all seem to think we are rich .
Look carefully before buying a house and talk to the people here, ive just built one myself and it cost much less than the other foriegners have paid for homes in the same area. The dr is a beautiful place, but think with your head and your wallet.
one option is to convert your $$$$$$$ to dom peso and obtain the higher interest rates in some cases 15%. For example $80000us dollars * 27 peso = 2000000 pesos. The banks can give you 15% of this annually which is about 300000 rd annually or 6000rd a week.....enough to live an ordinary life.
I do have another well known contact in the pop area that pays 10% on usa funds.
something for you to think about
m

Nov 5, 2004
mrmagic said:
one option is to convert your $$$$$$$ to dom peso and obtain the higher interest rates in some cases 15%. For example $80000us dollars * 27 peso = 2000000 pesos. The banks can give you 15% of this annually which is about 300000 rd annually or 6000rd a week.....enough to live an ordinary life.
I do have another well known contact in the pop area that pays 10% on usa funds.
something for you to think about
m

Any bank you are speaking specifficaly about? Or is 10% -15% a regular intrest rate?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
The Dane said:
Hiii....

bye for now

As said, if you are a guy that get along with people in general you will have no problem here either. The Dominican local people, as well as the permanent expats, are all very generous and in avarage great people.
You would spend as much time alone as you chose!
I?ve lived here for several years, and no I don?t pay more than other people,
and here as anywhere in the world we chose our friends!
I personally have a great life here!
;)

blondie

May 29, 2005
believe

;)
The Dane said:
Hiii....

bye for now

I'been reading your blog , and is fascinating, how much i learned, I am not a kid anymore I am 56, married and a nurse (RN). we want to move there too.
I am bilingual,(cuban). We are been looking in the net for a house in Puerto Plata. very few found.But I believe that there has to be plenty, but not posted because or inversionist are the foreigners. I really need my $ worth and I want to live with the dominicans. Do any one knows of any real estate
in puerto plata. like urbanizacion Atlantico?? Also any jobs for nurses there, is the license from Fl. valid in there?
Thanks for any input