Thread: Holas

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Holas

On my trip to POP earlier this month several people greeted my friends and I with "Holas" instead of "Hola." I didn't hear this in Santiago or Santo Domingo. I'm not confused as to the meaning, just wondering if that is used in other countries or if it's just a DR thing. And maybe just a northern DR thing, at that.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Never heard that..

Quote Originally Posted by Morena76
    On my trip to POP earlier this month several people greeted my friends and I with "Holas" instead of "Hola." I didn't hear this in Santiago or Santo Domingo. I'm not confused as to the meaning, just wondering if that is used in other countries or if it's just a DR thing. And maybe just a northern DR thing, at that.
    Well, in the year I spent in POP..I must say I have never ever heard anyone say "Holas". Has anyone else?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Could it be the accent??? that you think you hear them saying holas but they are just saying hola? I dunno i have never heard holas.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mofi
    Could it be the accent??? that you think you hear them saying holas but they are just saying hola? I dunno i have never heard holas.
    I have seen it in writing, on Spanish messageboards and such that my son visits ( teenager ), but never heard it...
    Fashion issue? Like on boards now they donīt write Saludos.. they write
    Salu2....
    Have not heard it being said though,.,,

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard it but this is a totally wild guess on my part.

I wonder since words these days are shorten maybe instead of saying "hola a todos" it's been shortened to "holas" because they are saying it to more than one person.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Coniglio
    I've never heard it but this is a totally wild guess on my part.

I wonder since words these days are shorten maybe instead of saying "hola a todos" it's been shortened to "holas" because they are saying it to more than one person.
    I donīt think your guess is so "wild" Anna, as I wrote above, Iīve seen it on messageboards where the youngsters write to "everyone" and not a specific person.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a possibility, never thought of that.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I've heard it. Heck I even used it for a while. Then it got old and I stopped. I think it was just a fad.