Advice needed on Malaria medicine/prevention

Professora

May 8, 2005
Will be moving from the US to the DR, long term, in July. What kind of anti-malaria medicine would you advise I bring? There are several on the market.
Thanks in advance for your help.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
During the Malaria Outbreak Notices for the East Coast (which have since been rescinded) there was mention that the recommended prophalaxis for the DR was chloroquine, but this should be discussed with your doctor.

Gregg

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Professora said:
Will be moving from the US to the DR, long term, in July. What kind of anti-malaria medicine would you advise I bring? There are several on the market.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Where will you be moving to? Is there some reason why you think it is necessary to have anti-malaria medicine? I've been doing without it for 19 years, but if there is some reason why you think it is necessary, I'll be interested in hearing it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree, like most always, with Ken

Unless you are going to be working with sugar cane workers or near the Haitian border or as a Peace Corps Volunteer or something similar, I would not recommend anything.

Some good bug spray-the local stuff -Deporte- is good and dirt cheap...

And mosquito nets at night are all I have used for more that 40 years....

If I go where there are mosquitos, long sleeves and bug spray. Simple..

HB :D:D

rubycatalina

Sep 21, 2004
Malaria In Dr

try the public health agency of canada website- www.phac-aspc.gc.ca
they have recent info on malaria in the dr and recommendations. again it depends where you will be living and travelling. and don't forget the risk of dengue, also mosquito- borne.

Professora

May 8, 2005
Ken said:
Where will you be moving to? Is there some reason why you think it is necessary to have anti-malaria medicine? I've been doing without it for 19 years, but if there is some reason why you think it is necessary, I'll be interested in hearing it.

I will be living in Santiago but will also be traveling to Haiti and some remote areas for missions work. Not having lived there before, I was just going by information offered by others. I'll probably bring some med's along as a "just in case". Glad to hear that malaria is not really a problem there.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Ladybird,

Ladybird said:
HB and Ken, but there has recently been malaria at Playa Dorado, is it true they moved the tourists out to de bug recently????
I am unaware of any North Coast confirmed malaria cases throughout the recent outbreak in La Altagracia and to a lesser degree Duarte provinces, the warnings for which have both been rescinded. There was one situation in New Brunswick (Canada) where a doctor diagnosed malaria in a group of six returning tourists from Sosua, but the initial diagnosis was not supported by lab tests and was never reported by PHAC.

Please advise your source for your contention of any North Coast cases as I would like to follow up on this.

Thank you.

Gregg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are going to live in Santiago

Do not take medication.

As I stated before, if you are going to Haiti-not a good idea these daays--you might want to take some while you are there...talk to your doctors about that.

Any area with a high Haitian population is suspect for dengue or malaria. Just one of the "not mentioned" effects of the Haitian migration.

HB :D:D

duck

Mar 20, 2005
www.manley.de
Malaria

Professora said:
I will be living in Santiago but will also be traveling to Haiti and some remote areas for missions work. Not having lived there before, I was just going by information offered by others. I'll probably bring some med's along as a "just in case". Glad to hear that malaria is not really a problem there.

I agree with the guys who say not to take anything as prevention. Many of the prevention medication can cause more harm from prolonged use than if you get malaria and treat it right away. Just use proper clothing and bug spray as prevention. It may be a good idea to carry enough medication for self treatment with you in case symptoms show up, and there is no doctor / pharmacy.

I've lived in areas which are absolutely infested and had it a few times. There was never a problem when I treated it right away, but once it broke out while I was on vacation in Europe, and I couldn't get to the tropical medical institute in Munich for a day. Even though I knew what I had and how to treat it, the pharmacy wouldn't give me medication without a prescription. Since then I always have a stash with me in case sympoms show up.

Of course you should talk to a doctor who is specialized in tropical diseases for professional advice.

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
alternative to meds

I hear two gin and tonics a day will do just as much to prevent malaria as any medication (and far better for your mental health as well!) ;) ;)

kurius

May 31, 2005
Info From my DR ...

I don't know about prolonged use of Malaria prevention medication. I do know that I took it for two weeks before going and during and 4 weeks after but other friends did nothing. However, make sure that you are vaccinated against Hep A and B and the your tetnus is up to date. If it is too late to get your Hep shots I know that you can get an Imunoglobin shot which essentially gives you other people's immunity it is only good for 3 months though. You should really go to a doctor.
Kristen