What's the rent like in Las Terrenas?

NewinSantiago

May 24, 2005
Hi,
I would like to know what's the rent like in Las Terrenas MIDDLE CLASS neighborhoods where the Dominicans live?? I would like a 1 or 2 bedroom home or apartment. I am a native Spanish speaker so I might have an advantage when negotiating the price with a Dominican. Will they rent for 2 months?? Thanks guys

NewinSantiago

May 24, 2005
Meeting girlfriends, Las Terrenas or Nagua?

Another question: Which city do you think is better for meeting nice girlfriends, Las Terrenas or Nagua? Please note I'm a 25 year old male and I'm a native Spanish language speaker. I don't look Dominican at all. I look more like a Spaniard or Italian or dark haired/eyed light-skinned gringo. I am only interested in meeting girls that ARE NOT prostitutes. Will girls be interested in me or do they tend to go after the blonde americans/europeans only?? I had a blast in Northeast Brazil because the girls were very interested in meeting me just because I was a foreigner and spoke Spanish. I really have no clue as to whether the Dominicanas will also be interested in meeting me. I just know that I will be VERY interested in meeting them... ;)

europeanguy

Nov 23, 2004
>I had a blast in Northeast Brazil because the girls were very interested in meeting me just because I was a foreigner and spoke Spanish. I really have no clue as to whether the Dominicanas will also be interested in meeting me<.

Having been in Northeast Brazil also, I can say Northeast Brazil is a world apart. Although in the south of brazil this is not the case. It has to do in the northeast with poverty and lack of men.
Dominican Republic is a very conservative country. A middle class dominican family doesn't like to see their daughter come home with a gringo. In tourist centers like sosua you will find a girl easily, but in the end that has to do with poverty. Dominican Republic is also a very catholic country. It will take a lot of time before you can 'get down' with a middle class girl, let alone kiss....
Well, you can score easily in the tourist places with the poorer girls, but when your target is more upscale girls, it will take time and work.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Santiago

Hi,
if you are new in Santiago, stick to Santiago in your search for decent nice girls and take them with you to Las Terrenas for the weekend.
Bartolomeo

NewinSantiago

May 24, 2005
europeanguy said:
> A middle class dominican family doesn't like to see their daughter come home with a gringo. In tourist centers like sosua you will find a girl easily, but in the end that has to do with poverty. .

Thanks for your valuable advice. Actually, I don't care if the girl is poor or rich, I only want her to be nice. I don't care if she's interested in me because she sees me as financially stable. That is one of the qualities every woman looks for in a man, even in first world countries. As long as she also feels attracted to my personality, qualities or even looks, I can live with it. However, if she only wants me for the money, then I don't want her. Again, I'm not that old so I think I can still attract girls for several reasons, not only the $$. In fact, I believe there are older guys out there that can also do the same. As far as "A middle class dominican family doesn't like to see their daughter come home with a gringo" goes, I don't consider myself a gringo. I am a non-Dominican Latino and I cannot be confused with a Dominican but I also don't look like an American or European. In Brazil, I would blend very well with the locals. What was your experience in Northeast Brazil?? What city did you visit?? I'm sure you loved it. ;)

NewinSantiago

May 24, 2005
Bartolomeo67 said:
Hi,
if you are new in Santiago, stick to Santiago in your search for decent nice girls and take them with you to Las Terrenas for the weekend.
Bartolomeo

Thanks Bartolomeo. Great idea! (Hadn't thought about it..) How far is Santiago from Las Terrenas??

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
NewinSantiago said:
Thanks Bartolomeo. Great idea! (Hadn't thought about it..) How far is Santiago from Las Terrenas??

Hi NewSantiaguero,
I understand where your question is coming from: of course the beaches of Las Terrenas/Samana are a tempting alternative to staying 2 months in an inland city like Santiago. It's just like 2 months in Granada when the temptations of the Costa del Sol are only an hour away, or Lyon and the C?te d'Azur, to compare it with Europe. However, if you do some reading on Santiago and the Cibao area, you will see you can do plenty of interesting excursions from Santiago and if meeting nice girls is top on your list, you could not be in a better place.
As for your original question : I haven't seen any middle class dominican neighborhoods in Las Terrenas, most places for rent are alongside the beautiful beaches.
By car, Santiago-Las Terrenas is about 3hrs driving, let the santiagueros correct me if I am wrong.
Bartolomeo

BTW I enjoyed Recife and Porto de Galinhas too!!

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Playa Colibri is the best place to stay when in Las Terrenas. It's beautiful, well run by the administration and the price is right. That's the only place I would recommend. But please, no hookers.