Australian sentenced to 20yrs

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Interesting article of an Australian woman convicted in a Bali, Indonesian court for trying to smuggle 9lbs of marajuana into Bali. Her defense was that the baggage handlers in Australia used her as a "mule" and put the drugs in her boogie board bag without her knowledge or consent.
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/05/27/corby.appeal/index.html

Why is this DR related??
Because on my way back from Cibao airport, I've noticed some travelers getting their check-in luggage getting wrapped in plastic thru a machine.

Any related incidents in the DR??
With so-called baggage-handlers using travelers bags as "mule carriers"??

europeanguy

Nov 23, 2004
I've travelled quite a bit in south america, and I never have had problems with customs, except in the Dominican Republic. It is because my girlfriend lives there, otherwise I'd not go to the D.R. anymore, just not to deal with customs. When you enter they will look for your bags, and you can be glad if they don't take anything. But also they will invite you to have a drink with them (sure, to take money out of your pockets).
With the exit I have had a check one time. In the car they asked me how much money I made (sure to see how much money they could extort....), and they kept insisting in the car to confess, confess. Well, in the end nothing happened, but it was not a pleasurable moment, and if they wanted, they could have planted drugs in my bag, and then it would have been my word against theirs. Well, who knows that there have been cases in the DR in which there were drugs planted in bags by customs (not the case in the Australian case). I'm just alert on this, take as little luggage as possible with me. Customs told me everyday they arrest quite a lot of people (tourists) with drugs with them. I'm sure under these tourists who are arrested with drugs with them, there are people who didn't know of anything. Just be alert, take as little luggage with you as possible, and always keep a look on it.
On the other hand, when you are arrested with drugs in the DR,it is probably one of the better countries in the world to get arrested for that: you can bribe them, and suppose you are in jail, you can get h..kers, have a mobile computer with internet, have a dog, have all the luxury to make your stay as welcome as possible ;) (I'm referring for this to the Monte Christo case)

Nov 5, 2004
europeanguy said:
I've travelled quite a bit in south america, and I never have had problems with customs, except in the Dominican Republic. It is because my girlfriend lives there, otherwise I'd not go to the D.R. anymore, just not to deal with customs. When you enter they will look for your bags, and you can be glad if they don't take anything. But also they will invite you to have a drink with them (sure, to take money out of your pockets).
With the exit I have had a check one time. In the car they asked me how much money I made (sure to see how much money they could extort....), and they kept insisting in the car to confess, confess. Well, in the end nothing happened, but it was not a pleasurable moment, and if they wanted, they could have planted drugs in my bag, and then it would have been my word against theirs.

I dont' know much about the Australian case..but European guy...
What airport did you land in?????
How often do you travel to the DR?

My husband lives on the North Coast...and I always land in the POP airport..I have NEVER had any trouble coming or going in that airport!

I'm sorry you had bad experiences :eek:

Customs agents in the DR have always been very kind and helpful, if anything to me, although mostly they take no notice of me...but if they do it has never involved a negative situation.

And not to pry....but why in the world did they follow you out to your car??? That seems very very odd to me. Are you 100% sure they were "valid/real" customes agents?

When I leave or arrive in the DR, I have never had my bags inspected EVER..no matter how huge or small they are. They have never made me pay the fee for saying past the tourist 15 days either....

europeanguy

Nov 23, 2004
>I dont' know much about the Australian case..but European guy...
What airport did you land in?????
How often do you travel to the DR?<

5 times a year. Because of this, single male leaving, they seem to think you are some kind of drug smuggler and you can be sure you will get attention. I always use Puerto Plata or Punta Cana.

>And not to pry....but why in the world did they follow you out to your car??? That seems very very odd to me. Are you 100% sure they were "valid/real" customes agents?<

When they think you are a drug smuggler, they will make pictures in a nearby hospital. For this you are taken away with two extremely muscular types in a van. Even if you have drugs, they shouldn't ask how much money you make or pressure you on the way to the hospital to confess. Well, I've learnt from the experience and next time I will write down their licenses and file a complaint. To give you an idea, that day they told me they had already arrested 5 tourists in the morning/ midday (Puerto Plata). I'm sure most of these tourists did it themselves, but you are in a sensitive position, depending on these customs officials, and if they want money from you, they can get it by putting drugs in your bags......

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Customs

I don't know where you're getting your information, but on the contrary, you DON'T want to get arrested for drugs in the DR. You will never see the light of day again........there are no amenities in DR jails.....you must have been kidding about your post ?? I personally have never had a problem with customs, I have flown into probably every airport in the DR at one time or another........I thought that US customs was much worst, I go via San Juan when returning to the states just to avoid customs in Hartford,CT (and I have nothing to hide). Plastic wrap is used by many european travelers and flights that change several times to avoid re-inspection on their return.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
My experiance with customs

The only time I have ever had any kind of ineraction other than welcom to the DR was when I had a army duffle bag full of baseballe equipenmtn with me all kids sizes. The customs guys seent hat and relized it was for kids and they all smiled and gave me thumbs ups as I walked through.
The next time they remebered and just patted me on the back and waved me through.
When I fly in I always have a smile on my face and I am in no rush. I have never been asked or implied the need for a bribe.
Maybe it is my dumb wood hick look but it works.
John