Bay of Pigs filming in Dom Rep

BrasdeLait

Mar 13, 2005
i found this on a film forum. seems new that was reported in El Caribe was false, however i did see this on the internet, that the film would be done by Ron Howard's Imagine Entertainment (24, Cinderella Man etc.)

http://www.thezreview.co.uk/comingsoon/b/bayofpigs.htm

does anybody have any updates? clarifications?

Official denial of ?Bay of Pigs? film
You may recall a story we had back on December 22 in which a writer from the Dominican Republic's El Caribe newspaper claimed that Steven Spielberg was on the island scouting locations for a film about the ?Bay of Pigs? crisis that occurred during the 1960s. When we reported on the non-story, we provided what I felt was categorical evidence to debunk the whole affair as nothing more than a writer?s fantasy, but the rumors still persisted. In case my light of truth wasn?t bright enough for you, here are two nails that should close the coffin on this so-called film that is never to be.

First up, I talked with a representative from the Dominican Republic?s film commission to see if they had any info on Spielberg scouting locations on their island. The rep wrote back stating that she hadn?t heard ?anything about this?as a matter of fact, you need to watch out for the local press they are better storytellers than writers from the WGA!?

I guess the writers at the El Caribe don?t have enough real news to cover since the rumor of Spielberg?s activities on the island have persisted into the New Year. Just to be sure, I contacted our source one step away from Mr. Spielberg himself, Spielberg?s long-time PR representative Marvin Levy. Mr. Levy assured us that the El Caribe articles are ?absolutely untrue.?

Not only are the rumors untrue, but Spielberg has no future plans to shoot such a film in general, nor in the Dominican Republic.

?He is not going to be filming such a film and we have no such project for anyone else," Levy told spielbergfilms.com. "Steven is filming " War of the Worlds " and will be involved in that through the national and int?l openings at the end of June. If he does anything after that, it would not be a film about the Bay of Pigs and would not involve the Dominican Republic.?

So there you have it. Never was, never will be, no matter how many articles some imaginative journalist in the Dominican Republic may fashion.

For the record, future films that Spielberg does have as potential works include ?Vengeance,? ?Lincoln,? ?The Rivals? and ?Indiana Jones IV.? Stick with spielbergfilms.com for more information (truthful information to boot!) on all of these potential projects.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A couple of months ago, someone I know who works at one of the top hotels in SD indicated that this was in the pipeline, but would not give too many details.

Two very big name actors were mentioned as prospective guests at the hotel, and the director was Spielberg.

I haven't heard anything since, but I could ask.