More tourists, how ?

gsupa

Nov 14, 2004
As I was sitting in a restaurant in Sosua tonight, I was wondering why the DR, and specially the North Coast had so few expatriates living here. Imagine the North Coast with 20,000 more expatriates, this would be a real boom for the local economy. We're between the US and Europe, about 700 million people. So my question is why so few expatriates and what should be done to make the DR more attractive? More golf courses? More retirement centers? More gated communitites?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You appear to be asking about tourists, but talking about expats :)

Define local economy? Dominicans or Expats?

To have an influx of expats, you need a very differnt country.
Infrastructure, predictable law, stability etc etc. The closer it is to their homeland, the more you will get.

To be honest, I can never see this happening and I hope it never happens!

gsupa

Nov 14, 2004
Robert said:
You appear to be asking about tourists, but talking about expats :)

Define local economy? Dominicans or Expats?

Infrastructure, predictable law, stability etc etc. The closer it is to their homeland, the more you will get.

I mean people who could live 6 months or more, part time of full time tourist. ;) Many europeans for example live 6 months during winter time in the caribbean and get back to europe for summer time. Of course the best would be people living here full time. I guess that would be retirees... But the DR could build its infrastructure up...private projects can create more stability in a country, no?

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Robert said:
Infrastructure, predictable law, stability etc etc.The closer it is to their homeland,the more you will get.
Whatever it's shortcomings may be to our Gringo eyes, I would hate to see any part of the DR become a little USA or Canada or EU. If that's what you want, go to an AI.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
oh gsupa...

Yes, we don't want to see that happen. I agree with Robert on that one. Just enjoy it the way it is. The local economy is fine. The people get by. The country is slow. People have time to say hello to a stranger. I like that. Hopefully this will never become a Cancun or anything near it.

The trick is time. Eventually you understand this country, its people, and how to live here...and that makes it so much better.

Kick back...have a nice cold beer.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Good posting Snuffy!

Snuffy said:
Yes, we don't want to see that happen. I agree with Robert on that one. Just enjoy it the way it is. The local economy is fine. The people get by. The country is slow. People have time to say hello to a stranger. I like that. Hopefully this will never become a Cancun or anything near it.

The trick is time. Eventually you understand this country, its people, and how to live here...and that makes it so much better.

Kick back...have a nice cold beer.

Couldn?t have said it better myself!
Maybe Gsupa, you haven?t found what you are looking for in DR, and want it to change instead of you?
The way you describe here, or in other posts " that you want more gringos in Sosua", says maybe that you don?t want to be a part of the local DR...
Well, DR is DR, and if you want more gringos instead of learning to know the local people.. then I don?t know..

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
that is true...about 3 or 4 years is what it took me. The other day some neighbors were complaining about the road out front. They were talking about taking up a collection to fix it. One by one the dominicans started walking away. I followed. I understood. And besides I solved that problem a long time ago. I bought a Nissan Pathfinder.

Speaking of that road....the other day after it had rained considerable....my 3 year old daughter looked out the window and said..."Mira poppy...mira la playa".

buseouno

Feb 22, 2005
gsupa said:
As I was sitting in a restaurant in Sosua tonight, I was wondering why the DR, and specially the North Coast had so few expatriates living here. Imagine the North Coast with 20,000 more expatriates, this would be a real boom for the local economy. We're between the US and Europe, about 700 million people. So my question is why so few expatriates and what should be done to make the DR more attractive? More golf courses? More retirement centers? More gated communitites?

I've lived in the Caribbean for almost 23 years and have thankfully seen a thousand people come and go who have thought like you, " wouldn't this country be great if we had a few thousand more like us, we could change all kinds of things."
Basicaly noble thoughts, but not practical or acceptable by the local population.
Most of us living here are integrated into the local population and economy in one way or another without being intrusive and I'm sure that's the way most of us like it, those who want a mini US, Can. or Europe should not consider living here.
I personaly live here because I love the people and the country and have no desire to rampantly change things, sure, we can all find things to complain about, but then not all is perfect in our home countries either.
Many of us are changing things here a little at a time, wether it be helping someone help themselves, such as a bright student lacking funds, or just by talking with people giving them a different perspective on situations, and hopefully the most important way, setting a good example and being a good role model.
Speaking of good examples, it's almost Presidente time.
Ken

gsupa

Nov 14, 2004
>>>Victor : Whatever it's shortcomings may be to our Gringo eyes, I would hate to see any part of the DR become a little USA or Canada or EU. If that's what you want, go to an AI.<<<

I don't quite agree. Actually the DR would certainly be better off being part of the USA or Europe. There would be more stability in exchange rates, better infrastructure, a more solid banking system, better regulations. Just imagine if the peso come down to 10 pesos for $1 in the next years, I wonder if you'll still have the same opinion...how many expatriates would be able to live here? Being independant as its advantages but being part of a bigger region is a very good thing as well. This is why you see so many small countries joining the EU. Because they understood it would be of great benefit.

>>>Carina : Maybe Gsupa, you haven?t found what you are looking for in DR, and want it to change instead of you? The way you describe here, or in other posts " that you want more gringos in Sosua", says maybe that you don?t want to be a part of the local DR...<<<

It's not true, I have many dominican friends and I enjoy speaking spanish and living in the DR. However I do also enjoy the company of other expatriates, don't you? Yes I do want more gringos in Sosua, this would be very good for the local economy.

>>>Snuffy : The local economy is fine. The people get by. The country is slow. People have time to say hello to a stranger. I like that. Hopefully this will never become a Cancun or anything near it.<<<

The local economy will be much better off with new expatriates here.You say that "the people get by", it's simply not true, there's a lot of poverty here. There are many people here who would love to get a good paying job, everyday I must be talking to dominicans more than you. Electricity would be paid, the roads would be cleaner and certainly in better conditions. As for this statement that the North Coast will never become Cancun, I doubt it could grow that big but it looks like the current trend, at least on the North coast, is more construction of villas and gated communities.

>>>windeguy : My wife and I have a standing joke, "After you have been here 3 or 4 years you will understand.".. I am maybe half way there. It's true -It will take an expat at least that long to begin to understand the differences between the DR and North America or Europe. Longer if you don't learn Spanish and stay in isolated expat enclaves.<<<

Your wife is right. Time is needed to better understand a country and its culture. Some people can stay 50 years in a country and never try to change a thing. Others see what could be changed in a country in just a few months. In my opinion, change is good, this is the only sure way to grow and learn new things.

>>>buseouno : Most of us living here are integrated into the local population and economy in one way or another without being intrusive and I'm sure that's the way most of us like it, those who want a mini US, Can. or Europe should not consider living here.<<<

If I understand your logic well, a dominican york, who by the way has 2 cultures, could not live here and will be seen as intrusive ? I don't quite see the logic in your thinking. by the way, in some way, the DR is already "part" of the US and Europe, who's paying the debt now ? Maybe, you should actually thank the Club of Paris for giving an helping hand to the country.
As for charity I think much more could be done here as well, and as far as I know more money to help out the local economy, churches and schools would not be a bad thing. Now if this money come from other expatriates, would you have something against this ? Nice to live in the Caribbean, enjoy, but when you have some time, try to think objectively what would be best for the betterment of the country. Not for you only, for the everyday dominican. Think!

Again, I don't expect you to agree with me. After all, what's the purpose of a message board if we can't discuss and debate ? I welcome your comments and criticisms ;)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Gsupa, you haven?t got a clue do you? :tired:

To quote Snuffy, "Best of luck" from me too!

Miamimike

Jan 16, 2005
gsupa said:

Maybe start with the Government in SD. The countries of Mexico, Panama, Nicaragua and Honduras all have Pensionada Programs to attract retired foreigners bringing with them Hard Currency. The Process is fairly transparent and appears to be working well in those countries. Also it does not appear these countries are in Danger of being overun with Northamericans-if that is true I would like to see proof of it in those countries.These pensionada programs really offer a laundry list of benefits to foreign retirees which I have not observed in the DR.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
gsupa, some of your thoughts are a little utopic for this country.

I think you need to look at the reasons why you came here in the first place, not how to change it so it's more like the place you left.

If the DR did become your idea of utopia, I'm sure most of the current expats would leave, plus a few Dominicans.

Countries need to evolve at their own pace and with the thoughts, work and will of it's own people. Forced indoctrination from outsiders that have totally different value sets is a huge no, no in my book. Reminds me of a bunch of idiot missionaries running around trying to convert the natives to their God.

Remember, your just a guest here...