Building in Nagua or Sabaneta de Yasica

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Hi there, Its my first post so please be gentle. I am Canadian.

I have been travelling on Vacations to DR for many years and I have decided to make the big move. Myself and 3 of my friends have decided to build 2 Duplexes there. I am seriously considereing 2 areas because we do not want to be in the midst of "tourist" areas like Cabarete or Sosua but I do want to stick to the North Coast. Larger cities are out of the question.

We are considering land in NAGUA and an Area near Sabaneta de Yasica called LA BOCA. We definitely NEED to be on a beach and love being amongst the local people.

I guess I would appreciate feedback on building in either of theses 2 areas and any tips about construction or cost of construction . I have covered the bases regarding lawyers and titles and all of that . I also did a 3 week tour there in April , strictly to investigate land costs, costs of materials and labour. So I do have some ideas about these.

The purpose of the Duplexes is both as escapes for people in their mid to late 40's , no kids will be involved . We primarily want peace and tranquility but do not want to be so remote that we have to have food air dropped to us.

I am fairly familiar with the Cabarete, Sabaneta de Yasica area.

I guess some questions to begin the discussions are:

Is Nagua and the surrouinding towns like Matancitas viable areas for this type of project? Will the new airport affect investment there?

If I manage the construction myself, what would be the approximate cost to built a Very Basic duplex (Both Sides together = 140 Sq Meters. )

What are the disadvantages to living in the Dominican CAMPO.

Also please understand that these units will be rented to visiting tourists when their owners are not there ,But I will live there personally year round as a sort of Caretaker I suppose .

By the way , I have been reading this Website for 3 Months now and today decided to jump into the fray !

Excellent site and seems like high quality participants.

jojo

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
You don't want to be in a tourist area yet you want to rent to tourists?

I think you need to go back to the drawing board and rethink your project.

You can build either in a tourist area or a campo. In a tourist area you will be able to rent to "TOURISTS". In a campo you will be able to rent to NO ONE on the basis you put forth.

Building costs will be the same no matter where you build. Income will only happen if you build where the people will come and not if they won't.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You will probably be better off in the area around Nagua

Since that is at least a tourist area for Dominicans...

You will have to talk to the local people to see who are the reliable builders there.

Figure at least 10-14,000 pesos er square meter of construction.

The "CONS" of either area are:
Lack of water
Lack of electricity
Lack of garbage disposal services
Lack of readily available foodstuffs-beside "Basic Dominican"
Lack of security. You'll stand out like a sore thumb.

Most people do not build where their neighbors are way below on the socio-economic scale. Unless you are a Dominican coming back from a few good years in the drug trade in New York City, you just do not build a "modest duplex" in an impoverished area. Everyone there will figure you have money and you are then a target for everything from petty thievery (your propane tanks will disappear during the night), to major home invasions resulting in worse scenarios.
Use your head and live among your equals...like you do now, wherever you live.

HB :(:(

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Build where the tourists are

Build where the tourists are. The market to rent is better. Tourists are most comfortable in the company and association with other tourists and with the amenities they are used to.

The cost of construction in the east where I am now is running on average of US$ 525 M?.

Regards,
PJT

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Escott said:

You can build either in a tourist area or a campo. In a tourist area you will be able to rent to "TOURISTS". In a campo you will be able to rent to NO ONE on the basis you put forth.

Building costs will be the same no matter where you build. Income will only happen if you build where the people will come and not if they won't.

I appreciate your sentiment .........but
The point is to be AMONGST the Dominican people. Not to be raped and pillaged by the resorts and the cost of being in a resort. Many people want to experience REAL Dominican life as opposed to being Beach whales.......
I believe that if you give respect there that you get it and besides that I would gate the area. Not that that stops much but I have had nothing but good experience in the Sabaneta area.

By the way we are having similar problems to that here in Canada and America as well. 2 Weeks ago . 2 guys were running out of my Neighbours house with his VCR and DVD . Guess that kinda equates to the Propane tank.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Escott said:

The point i reiterate again is for people to OWN a part of the Caribbean , the renting to tourists is secondary and of course they would know that they will be away from the resports . It is central to the project. I mean , afterall , SOMEONE Had to build first in Cabarete ?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
jojo2130 said:
The point i reiterate again is for people to OWN a part of the Caribbean , the renting to tourists is secondary and of course they would know that they will be away from the resports . It is central to the project. I mean , afterall , SOMEONE Had to build first in Cabarete ?
As long as you don't need tourists to rent you can build anywhere on the island. Here is a great "For Instance" that I ran across.
Escott_houseonarock.JPG

If you are planning the first step in the growth of Sabeneta as a tourist destination and you are 40 years old you will be dead and rotted by the time it hits big.

What the hell are you asking questions for if you know everything?

Just go for it.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
jojo2130 said:
I appreciate your sentiment .........but
The point is to be AMONGST the Dominican people. Not to be raped and pillaged by the resorts and the cost of being in a resort. Many people want to experience REAL Dominican life as opposed to being Beach whales.......
I believe that if you give respect there that you get it and besides that I would gate the area. Not that that stops much but I have had nothing but good experience in the Sabaneta area.

By the way we are having similar problems to that here in Canada and America as well. 2 Weeks ago . 2 guys were running out of my Neighbours house with his VCR and DVD . Guess that kinda equates to the Propane tank.
What is the point of being "AMONGST" the Dominican People?

You want to rent to them? You want to sit in the street and play dominos with them? You want to talk loud and drink Brugal out of a gallon jug with them? You want the poor people in Sabeneta to be your buddies? You want to be a big fish in a small pond? You want to help them out and improve their lifestyle? You going to give them money for their ailing grandma, medicine for their kids and have them hanging out at your house? What exactly is it that you think you have to offer them that they are going to embrace you for other than your pocket full of personality?

You looking to get a girlfriend in town and think you will be the pick of the litter if you move into the campo? I can just give you my sweet looking girlfriend who lives in Sabeneta who only has one child, one sister, and one mother who will be happy to have you take her out to La Bomba for 30 peso Presidente's while others rob your house.

Maybe it is the long bumpy ride over unpaved roads that lead to the beach that turns you on?

By the way, I have never been raped and pillaged by a resort and have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
badpiece33 said:
Hey Scott he can have your wife but not my 2 wives in Sabaneta, They are too busy getting ready to take the bar exam anyway.
Badpiece
Well mine is trying to become a Doctor. You think you impress me with a stankin Lawyer?

How come they drill holes in the bottom of coffins that they bury attorneys in anyway?

So the maggots can crawl out and puke!

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Escott said:

You want to rent to them? You want to sit in the street and play dominos with them? You want to talk loud and drink Brugal out of a gallon jug with them? You want the poor people in Sabeneta to be your buddies? You want to be a big fish in a small pond? You want to help them out and improve their lifestyle? You going to give them money for their ailing grandma, medicine for their kids and have them hanging out at your house? What exactly is it that you think you have to offer them that they are going to embrace you for other than your pocket full of personality?

You looking to get a girlfriend in town and think you will be the pick of the litter if you move into the campo? I can just give you my sweet looking girlfriend who lives in Sabeneta who only has one child, one sister, and one mother who will be happy to have you take her out to La Bomba for 30 peso Presidente's while others rob your house.

Maybe it is the long bumpy ride over unpaved roads that lead to the beach that turns you on?

Hey, please check out...

Http://www.sankybanky.com

This could actually save you a lot of money and expense and accomplish the same thing.

By the way, I have never been raped and pillaged by a resort and have no idea what you are talking about.

I Guess that sarcasm is the order of the day with Mr . Escott.

I personally enjoy intelligent conversations much better.

I have lived and stayed with a poor Dominican family several times and have had nothing but good experiences and warm welcomes and yes it is true about the sick cousin twice removed that needs an exotic medication, but a firm no to the game usually suffices. With a smile of course.
In reality I would prefer ALL of the above to living in amongst "My Peers" In Cities like Detroit or New York ANYDAY ! Or being a "subject " of Mr Bush and his clansman or my Canadian government flailing around and finally starting to run out of loopholes to plug to grab more taxes so they can fund programs that serve the rich . With Contracts FOR the rich and big business. Besides , they have almost a 100% tax hold on income here .

But this is not the reason that I posted this scenario. It was only to try and get opinions and possibly learn a few things from peoples true experiences . I have found that being , at least temporarily, a Dominicano to be very enjoyable. I Want to develop a very small community but far from the Drunken tourists and the constant noise of towns like Cabarete . A quiet beach. Maybe a Gated area and If Necessary a guard. But to answer a question ?

Yes . I would want to get involved somehow in some help program in the area that I choose. And I have a Dominican girlfriend that is IMPECCABLE with a family that is very proud and kind that I have been with for 2 years now. She has not ONE time (Nor her Family) Ever asked for money or help of any kind. Maybe I got lucky but they are not all bad and try walking the streets of 'developed" cities like Detroit or New York. I have been constantly harrassed by white anglo saxon people asking for handouts.Did they form a Squeegee boy Union yet ? They will

To answer your OTHER Question ? Next time I am on a resort , you come and eat the 2 day old Buffets and pay 60 pesos for a bottle of water that you pay 10 Pesos for off of the resort and $80 a night in a 3 star resort ? I have a timeshare there and the "policies" of the Canadian owned resort are designed to steal legally from attending tourists. Safe rentals ? On a Guarded resort ? 40$ ? Watered down booze and did you ever watch them "wash dishes" ?
I guess all Inclusive also means Diarriaha and public pools with swim up bars that tourists sit it all Day WITHOUT MOVING ! Think about it !

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
jojo2130 said:

I have lived and stayed with a poor Dominican family several times and have had nothing but good experiences and warm welcomes and yes it is true about the sick cousin twice removed that needs an exotic medication, but a firm no to the game usually suffices. With a smile of course.
In reality I would prefer ALL of the above to living in amongst "My Peers" In Cities like Detroit or New York ANYDAY ! Or being a "subject " of Mr Bush and his clansman or my Canadian government flailing around and finally starting to run out of loopholes to plug to grab more taxes so they can fund programs that serve the rich . With Contracts FOR the rich and big business. Besides , they have almost a 100% tax hold on income here .

But this is not the reason that I posted this scenario. It was only to try and get opinions and possibly learn a few things from peoples true experiences . I have found that being , at least temporarily, a Dominicano to be very enjoyable. I Want to develop a very small community but far from the Drunken tourists and the constant noise of towns like Cabarete . A quiet beach. Maybe a Gated area and If Necessary a guard. But to answer a question ?

Yes . I would want to get involved somehow in some help program in the area that I choose. And I have a Dominican girlfriend that is IMPECCABLE with a family that is very proud and kind that I have been with for 2 years now. She has not ONE time (Nor her Family) Ever asked for money or help of any kind. Maybe I got lucky but they are not all bad and try walking the streets of 'developed" cities like Detroit or New York. I have been constantly harrassed by white anglo saxon people asking for handouts.Did they form a Squeegee boy Union yet ? They will

To answer your OTHER Question ? Next time I am on a resort , you come and eat the 2 day old Buffets and pay 60 pesos for a bottle of water that you pay 10 Pesos for off of the resort and $80 a night in a 3 star resort ? I have a timeshare there and the "policies" of the Canadian owned resort are designed to steal legally from attending tourists. Safe rentals ? On a Guarded resort ? 40$ ? Watered down booze and did you ever watch them "wash dishes" ?
I guess all Inclusive also means Diarriaha and public pools with swim up bars that tourists sit it all Day WITHOUT MOVING ! Think about it !
My man you don't have a clue!

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
"To answer your OTHER Question ? Next time I am on a resort , you come and eat the 2 day old Buffets and pay 60 pesos for a bottle of water that you pay 10 Pesos for off of the resort and $80 a night in a 3 star resort ? I have a timeshare there and the "policies" of the Canadian owned resort are designed to steal legally from attending tourists. Safe rentals ? On a Guarded resort ? 40$ ? Watered down booze and did you ever watch them "wash dishes" ?
I guess all Inclusive also means Diarriaha and public pools with swim up bars that tourists sit it all Day WITHOUT MOVING ! Think about it !"

Well I have many times, but Joe Average Tourist doesn't cuz they are the ones IN the pool. Very very few, IMHO, would be that game to escape the resorts for their entire vacation. These places are perceived as relatively safe havens. I doubt that you would ever attract first time visitors. Most people are happy chartering a cab or signing up for the organized day trips to see 'the real DOMINICAN" and that's enough.

Unless you have plenty of money and I mean plenty, to make something exclusive enough (like a spa/redtreat) and safe enough sounding - and to advertise like crazy - you will have 0 occupancy with the exception of some of those touries looking for a place that's "friendly" aka cabana.

Hey-how about a spa/cabana on the beach? Are there any of those yet?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
jojo2130 said:

You are right, you should go for it. You are going to do just fabulous!

Escott

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Why this game?

jojo2130 said:

I have been travelling on Vacations to DR for many years and I have decided to make the big move. Myself and 3 of my friends have decided to build 2 Duplexes there. I am seriously considereing 2 areas because we do not want to be in the midst of "tourist" areas like Cabarete or Sosua but I do want to stick to the North Coast. Larger cities are out of the question.

We are considering land in NAGUA and an Area near Sabaneta de Yasica called LA BOCA. We definitely NEED to be on a beach and love being amongst the local people.

I guess I would appreciate feedback on building in either of theses 2 areas and any tips about construction or cost of construction . I have covered the bases regarding lawyers and titles and all of that . I also did a 3 week tour there in April , strictly to investigate land costs, costs of materials and labour. So I do have some ideas about these.

The purpose of the Duplexes is both as escapes for people in their mid to late 40's , no kids will be involved . We primarily want peace and tranquility but do not want to be so remote that we have to have food air dropped to us.

I am fairly familiar with the Cabarete, Sabaneta de Yasica area.

Is Nagua and the surrouinding towns like Matancitas viable areas for this type of project? Will the new airport affect investment there?

If I manage the construction myself, what would be the approximate cost to built a Very Basic duplex (Both Sides together = 140 Sq Meters. )

Also please understand that these units will be rented to visiting tourists when their owners are not there ,But I will live there personally year round as a sort of Caretaker I suppose .

By the way , I have been reading this Website for 3 Months now and today decided to jump into the fray !

Excellent site and seems like high quality participants.

jojo

You state "be gentle with me I'm Canadian" yet you seem more interested in telling us all you know in one easy lesson of 3 months reading this site and a 3 week fast course in exploring the campo area of the NC. When several people responded with their valid opinions (based on years of experience )you counter by NY bashing, Bush bashing, etc. If you dont agree with the opinions that YOU ASKED for,its not neccesary to respond-simply put up your money like a true businessmanand move forward with your project without the advise that you sought.
Its called "put up or shut up" That being said its time for me to go watch the Yankee- Met game. Good luck with Project Utopia and as Escott said we are sure you will be a resounding success. Yeah right.

JOHN

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
jojo2130 said:
.....We are considering land in NAGUA and an Area near Sabaneta de Yasica called LA BOCA. We definitely NEED to be on a beach and love being amongst the local people....

...The purpose of the Duplexes is both as escapes for people in their mid to late 40's , no kids will be involved . We primarily want peace and tranquility but do not want to be so remote that we have to have food air dropped to us....

Is La Boca not in a floodplain? Not quite sure exactly where it is but that area is known for flooding. There are very few other 'gringos' in Nagua but as a kind of a stop-over for people on the way to Samana, it may work. I went that way last Friday and the area is quite beautiful with all the palm trees.

jojo2130 said:

Let's see them finish the airport and bring in the airplanes before we answer this one. For the moment, sellers will promise you riches and real estate appreciation. Let's see if this thing is real before you even consider this.

jojo2130 said:

Others are more qualified to answer this.

jojo2130 said:
Also please understand that these units will be rented to visiting tourists when their owners are not there ,But I will live there personally year round as a sort of Caretaker I suppose.

The disadvantages have already been mentioned in this thread. In Nagua, you get basic Dominican foodstufs in the supermercado. You'll have to shop in Sosua/Pop/Santiago. Quite a long way to go for shopping.

I do not subscribe to the thought that if you live in the Campo, you'll be a magnet for theft. If you integrate with your local community, and look after your security well, you can be safe, but you'll be very far from anyone that you could chat with. I know one Italian that lives in Nagua and he has localized to a great extent... Dominos and Brugal style.

If you find the right land however, it would be quiet by Dominican standards.

I visited a private community just about at the end of the Samana Peninsula and near to Playa Rincon last week and the folks there live the lifestyle that you are looking for. They do quite a thriving business renting to people who seek the same things that you do. This is quite exclusive and they do not integrate with the local community. They look after their own power and water and send a driver with lists to Santo Domingo every few days to buy what is needed.

So, if your duplexes can be done in an 'exclusive' style.. in gorgeous surroundings, and you can overcome the power and water and garbage problems, you can do it. You do need money for this. And you do need to know what marketing is all about. Also, have you driven the road down from Cabarete to Nagua and seen just how many abandoned hotels, projects and dreams there are?

I wonder if the posters on this thread realise just how many expats live in the Sabaneta de Yassica and surrounding area?

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
johne said:
You state "be gentle with me I'm Canadian" yet you seem more interested in telling us all you know in one easy lesson of 3 months reading this site and a 3 week fast course in exploring the campo area of the NC. When several people responded with their valid opinions (based on years of experience )you counter by NY bashing, Bush bashing, etc. If you dont agree with the opinions that YOU ASKED for,its not neccesary to respond-simply put up your money like a true businessmanand move forward with your project without the advise that you sought.
Its called "put up or shut up" That being said its time for me to go watch the Yankee- Met game. Good luck with Project Utopia and as Escott said we are sure you will be a resounding success. Yeah right.

JOHN

I Did Not ask for this (See Below) and that is what I responded sarcastically to: AS for Bush Bashing YES I disagree with him STRONGLY .
I Also CANADIAN Government Bashed. AS For NY Bashing YES , I Do not Like NY. I Guess that is Anti American is it ?

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Chris said:
Is La Boca not in a floodplain? Not quite sure exactly where it is but that area is known for flooding. There are very few other 'gringos' in Nagua but as a kind of a stop-over for people on the way to Samana, it may work. I went that way last Friday and the area is quite beautiful with all the palm trees.

Let's see them finish the airport and bring in the airplanes before we answer this one. For the moment, sellers will promise you riches and real estate appreciation. Let's see if this thing is real before you even consider this.

Others are more qualified to answer this.

The disadvantages have already been mentioned in this thread. In Nagua, you get basic Dominican foodstufs in the supermercado. You'll have to shop in Sosua/Pop/Santiago. Quite a long way to go for shopping.

I do not subscribe to the thought that if you live in the Campo, you'll be a magnet for theft. If you integrate with your local community, and look after your security well, you can be safe, but you'll be very far from anyone that you could chat with. I know one Italian that lives in Nagua and he has localized to a great extent... Dominos and Brugal style.

If you find the right land however, it would be quiet by Dominican standards.

I visited a private community just about at the end of the Samana Peninsula and near to Playa Rincon last week and the folks there live the lifestyle that you are looking for. They do quite a thriving business renting to people who seek the same things that you do. This is quite exclusive and they do not integrate with the local community. They look after their own power and water and send a driver with lists to Santo Domingo every few days to buy what is needed.

So, if your duplexes can be done in an 'exclusive' style.. in gorgeous surroundings, and you can overcome the power and water and garbage problems, you can do it. You do need money for this. And you do need to know what marketing is all about. Also, have you driven the road down from Cabarete to Nagua and seen just how many abandoned hotels, projects and dreams there are?

I wonder if the posters on this thread realise just how many expats live in the Sabaneta de Yassica and surrounding area?

Thanks Chris, I have had concerns about the flooding as well. I have heard about the Yasica Flooding its banks. How would I go about getting an honest assessment as to whether there are water problems on a particular piece of property ?

I Will be coming there in Mid July or so and I will be taking that drive. I will even try stopping at a few of those abandoned properties to see what may have occurred. (I'll bet that those builders didnt have the advantage of DR1 Forums! ! ! )

There seems to be a differing opinion on the Security question but I have decided to air on the side of caution without constructing a fortress. I understand about the need for provisions and we have come up with one innnovative solution but I like your idea as well.

Is there still a possibility that the airport will not open or that it will be ineffective as a destination airport? There seems to be a lot of development going on in Las Terranes and Samana ? Is there still a chance that the airport could flop ?

I have been told that very philosophy about No Water , No Building, Electricity and Garbage problems can have solutions but if there is not a good water supply forget it. I would have a well dug before I bought .

Thanks again for your comprehensive reply !

Joe

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
jojo2130 said:
I Did Not ask for this (See Below) and that is what I responded sarcastically to: AS for Bush Bashing YES I disagree with him STRONGLY .
I Also CANADIAN Government Bashed. AS For NY Bashing YES , I Do not Like NY. I Guess that is Anti American is it ?

This was good information had you digested it instead of having a problem with my delivery. You should still consider what is there to see.

Escott

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Escott said:
This was good information had you digested it instead of having a problem with my delivery. You should still consider what is there to see.

Escott

Yes, I agree with you... and I would urge jojo2130 to speak with you in person, and digest all of your information thoroughly, before he makes any moves down here. But, dear sir, sometimes perception = reality. You of all people would know this eh?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
jojo2130 said:

I can not believe that I missed reading this thread!.

All I will tell you that you need to be very carefull if you end up living in Nagua.

There's a reason why SOME call the town "the marriage braker" and "enter whomever want to, leave if you can" (entre quien quiere y sal si puede".

I know people in Nagua and let me tell you that they all tell me that almost every man is "fair game". So if you are a married female, buy your husband an "iron pamper" because there's a big chance that a few will try and steal him from you and they will do it right in front of you. If you are man and are into having fun with the girls, it's the perfect town for you.

I was there on my last trip, 2 months ago, with my best friends, and I went to a club just for a little bit and I was amazed that some of the girls would sit on my and my buddy's lap even though there were females sitting with us. And let's not talk about the colmadone's "girls".

The beach is nice but I (I as in me and nobody else)would not live there if they pay me.

Good luck.