Upcoming conciertos in POP

Janni

Mar 19, 2005
I am heading back to POP on July 1st for 2 weeks. Has anyone heard of any upcoming concerts at El Campito, Rancho Tipico etc...? Daddy Yankee performed in Playa Dorada last week...would loved to have been there! Any word on that?
Love the merengue, bachata y reggaton musica and try to take in as much as I can on each visit.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Muchos gracias!

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
damn yankee in playa dorada... that must've been hot for sure !!! It's hard to imagine him playin in Playa Dorada though ...

Janni

Mar 19, 2005
la_barbie said:
damn yankee in playa dorada... that must've been hot for sure !!! It's hard to imagine him playin in Playa Dorada though ...

Si Si Si! Apparently he was playing in the new Roadhouse bar. It's near Hemingways. Tickets were suppose to be 1,500 pesos each. Steep for the D.R. Wish he was going to be there in one month....I'd be in the front row for sure!

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Janni said:
Si Si Si! Apparently he was playing in the new Roadhouse bar. It's near Hemingways. Tickets were suppose to be 1,500 pesos each. Steep for the D.R. Wish he was going to be there in one month....I'd be in the front row for sure!

WOW 1500 pesos - that is steep for the DR

When I was there in January there was a band playing at Hemmingways (can't remember what they were called but it was a very popular band as it was PACKED OUT) however locals were not charged to go in - tourists were charged 300 pesos.......so perhaps the locals didn't have to pay the full 1500 pesos??

Would have liked to have seen Daddy Yankee though

Daydream

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
daydream said:
WOW 1500 pesos - that is steep for the DR

When I was there in January there was a band playing at Hemmingways (can't remember what they were called but it was a very popular band as it was PACKED OUT) however locals were not charged to go in - tourists were charged 300 pesos.......so perhaps the locals didn't have to pay the full 1500 pesos??

Would have liked to have seen Daddy Yankee though

Daydream

I went to Roadway in April for a merengue concert and it was sooo bad. It was packed to the RIM of people. Impossible to dance and nearly impossible to see the stage. I was up front for a bit...but was being crushed...so had to go to the back to breathe for a bit. lol. Plus, I was already pissed because I went with a rep and I was with him when he was told by the manager that reps could go for free to the concert...but of course, when we showed up..the manager told us that he couldn't let us in for free, but he could let us in for $500 pesos for the two of us...and he said they were charging normally $500 pesos each person, so we should stay because it would be such a good deal. MENTIRA...as we found out after talking with a few inside...it was $500 a couple for everyone. We weren't impressed, to say the least. A few weeks before..they had a concert with Los Negros...and I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited...until I found out it was $700 a person, even for the locals. I wouldn't be surprised if Daddy Yankee was $1500...and for the locals as well

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
****... where in the world would Yankee preform in Roadway.... that restaurant isn't that big.... REALLY BAD LOCATION .... but Roadway is one of my favourite restaurants for sure ...

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
la_barbie said:
****... where in the world would Yankee preform in Roadway.... that restaurant isn't that big.... REALLY BAD LOCATION .... but Roadway is one of my favourite restaurants for sure ...

I know - I was thinking the same. Roadway is smaller than Hemmingways and Hemmingways isn't huge!

Does anyone know if the everyone was charged 1500 pesos? Anyway to be fair - you could have sat outside at Roadways and enjoyed the music!! Can't exactly keep it in in a place like that!!

Daydream

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Are you sure it was in PD??
My son went to the Raggeaton concert where DY was, but it was at the deportivo in the city..
Entrance 100 pesos - 1400 pesos.

Janni

Mar 19, 2005
carina said:
Are you sure it was in PD??
My son went to the Raggeaton concert where DY was, but it was at the deportivo in the city..
Entrance 100 pesos - 1400 pesos.

I heard DY was in Playa Dorada by my Dominican friend....but he could have been wrong. Agree.....wouldn't take too many fans to fill that place up.

Have you heard of any concerts during the first 2 weeks of July in POP?
Can't wait to swing the hips!

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I HIGHLY doubt that mi papi Yankee preformed at Roadway... theres just no way ...... Had to have been somewhere else !
Aventuras in SD end of July... not the beginning ... sorry

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Janni said:
I heard DY was in Playa Dorada by my Dominican friend....but he could have been wrong. Agree.....wouldn't take too many fans to fill that place up.

Have you heard of any concerts during the first 2 weeks of July in POP?
Can't wait to swing the hips!

The reggaeton concert I mentioned above was not with DY, but with Don Miguelo and some more, I asked my son and DY has not been here.
Its impossible that he perfomed in Playa Dorada, the facilities are too small there.

Janni

Mar 19, 2005
la_barbie said:
I HIGHLY doubt that mi papi Yankee preformed at Roadway... theres just no way ...... Had to have been somewhere else !
Aventuras in SD end of July... not the beginning ... sorry

I'd love to see Adventura...but I thought they were banned from performing in the DR for a year? If you do hear of any conciertos beginning of July, post it for me, por favor!!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
concerts

Daddy Yankee was not here!!! There is talk about him coming to Hemingways but even that is highly doubtful. A local promoter (was involved in Reggaeton concert on Saturday) says no way. He will only come to Santo Domingo.

Lately there has been a bit of a contest going on between hemingways and roadway for concerts. YEs Roadway is WAYYYYY too small to host much of anything. It is very very packed for a concert and you can't move, see or dance.....

El Campito should be starting up with some live acts soon. I'll keep you posted.

However, we rarely know in advance about concerts! One week is a lot of notice here. We listen to the radio and watch for signs being put up along the roads.

Janni - if I see anything I will certainly post it here for you and everyone else!

Last wednesday we had Gilberto Santa Rosa at Hemingways - VIP was 2,250 pesos, next best area was 1,000 pesos and I am told general admission was 500 pesos! It was jammed. But, that is a lot of money to most people.

Roadway had a group - can't remember who - price was 700 pesos per couple and apparently it was standing room only.....

Haven't seen anything for this weekend yet. But I will look tonight.

Nov 5, 2004
Janni said:
I'd love to see Adventura...but I thought they were banned from performing in the DR for a year? If you do hear of any conciertos beginning of July, post it for me, por favor!!
Why would they be banned? What happened? :eek:

Janni

Mar 19, 2005
PeachezNcream84 said:
Why would they be banned? What happened? :eek:

I heard Adventura was banned from the DR for a year....apparently at a concert a few months ago they made some kind of sexual advance to a young girl from the audience on stage. Supposedly, the Dominican government ruled that they could not perform for one year any where in the DR.
I haven't heard anything since...so not sure how true this is. Too bad though, I love their bachata and every time I was in the DR last year I missed their concerts by a week or so.
Thanks for keeping an eye open for me....I leave T.O. on July 1st so let me know if you hear of anything coming up.
I saw Frank Reyes in January at Rancho Tipico and Ruby Perez at El Campito in October. Both were awesome!!! Can't wait for the opportunity to enjoy another concert in POP.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
peachez chula ... who else would know but me !!!
they got banned for a year for preforming some dirty moves on a younger girl ..

Janni

Mar 19, 2005
I'm almost there!

O.k. Yo tengo sola doce mas suenos hasta me voy a POP!!! Woo Hoo!!!!

Is there any word on upcoming conciertos de 1 julio - 15 julio????? ;)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Oh honey we probably wont know until two or three days before. If I see anything sooner I will post it here.....

Chiquita

Oct 3, 2004
Honey not to worry there is always some sort of concert happening...just keep ur eyes and ears open and you'll find out. They usually don't give much notice so just be observant once you arrive in POP.
Have a great trip!