Samana Las Terranas Accomadations

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I live here...so this goes in living section under taking a vacation...

I call the masters to work. You gems of the north coast who overflow with wisdom. Escott excluded. No just kidding. I would like to hear from you also. Your blog is great. You know you are the king blogger and you love it.

We are going to be taking a week or two weeks long vacation to this area driving from Santiago. I want nice places to stay that are good value. In other words, I don't want to pay for a nice place and then find out it is a dump...they cut the electricity off and then say the generator does not function, or there is no water during the day, or other flat our lies to save a few dollars. I experienced this once in Sosua and it was a big turn off. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I want on beach, clean, secure accommadations.

Places I want to visit....

Visiting Rio San Juan, Cabrera, Diamond Beach, Nagua....perhaps staying in a hotel one or two nights in one of these areas.

Then going on to Las Terranas, Playa Rincon where we will stay most of our time.

Am I missing anything interesting?

Thanks and see you on the road.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
For what you describe, the only place I can recommend in Las Terrenas is Playa Colibri. Right now is low season so it shouldn't be expensive. They have their own electric plant and there is electricity and water all the time.

The place is beauful and very well maintained. It has a nice big pool and it is right on the beach. Nice clean beach. Good restaurant right next door. (getting a little expensive now because they know they are good).

We never venture off trying to find anything new since as far as I am concerned there is nothing better.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Playa Rincon is...

over 1 1/2 hours from Las Terrenas at the eastern tip of the peninsula. If you're going to spend a lot of time at Playa Rincon (as you suggest in your post) why not stay in Las Galeras which is 15 minutes by boat and 30 minutes by car away from Playa Rincon? And for more info regarding this beautiful playa, go to the Activities section of www.samanaonline.com

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Some of my best memories

of the DR occurred at the Hotel Bahia Blanca in Rio San Juan. It's not fancy, with no AC, telephones or TV, but the rooms are large and clean, and IMHO, the views and ocean breeze more than make up for any shortcomings, and the price is right at under $30/night. They have a planta. I recall one occasion when it seemed they waited a log time before starting the generator when the power went out, but otherwise, never more than a few minutes w/o lights. The hotel virtually overhangs the shore, with a nice little balcony restaurant on site. There is a nice little beach adjacent, and the lagoona gri-gri is less than a 5 minute walk. The only entrance is manned at night by an armed guard.

There is a helpful thread from a while back with several options on hotels in Nagua. I have stayed at the hotel Saini, which is in town (not on the beach, but not far away). Small, clean room with AC and cable TV for about $20. The woman who owns the place lived in the states for many years, and speaks good English.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Snuffy said:
I live here...so this goes in living section under taking a vacation...

I call the masters to work. You gems of the north coast who overflow with wisdom. Escott excluded. No just kidding. I would like to hear from you also. Your blog is great. You know you are the king blogger and you love it.

We are going to be taking a week or two weeks long vacation to this area driving from Santiago. I want nice places to stay that are good value. In other words, I don't want to pay for a nice place and then find out it is a dump...they cut the electricity off and then say the generator does not function, or there is no water during the day, or other flat our lies to save a few dollars. I experienced this once in Sosua and it was a big turn off. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I want on beach, clean, secure accommadations.

Places I want to visit....

Visiting Rio San Juan, Cabrera, Diamond Beach, Nagua....perhaps staying in a hotel one or two nights in one of these areas.

Then going on to Las Terranas, Playa Rincon where we will stay most of our time.

Am I missing anything interesting?

Thanks and see you on the road.
One place you didn't put on your list is La Entrada which is a real nice looking place although I had just discovered it recently.

There is a boutique French Hotel in La Catalina. Although it was nice I didn't stay there because their price was up in the sky. Same for their restaurant. Just couldn't part with that much money there where I would spend more in the Capital for some reason.

Enjoy your trip!

Escott

ESOLteacher

Dec 14, 2004
LAS GALERAS! go to TODO BLANCO 809-538-0201

I was there for 4 weeks total from January to March and I recommend highly TODO BLANCO in Las Galeras. Despite the fact that the water was salty in the shower, it was charming and a real treat. This was AFTER I tried the french Tropiacal Lodge in Samana (only hotel with a pool there!) and Club Bonito in Las Galeras.

Club Bonito has a nice pool, but was on the big side for me - tiki bar, etc. www.club-bonito.com
They have a nice big restaurant, big beach, gift shop with very nice lady working there, and nice staff.

But ...

I like TODO BLANCO much much better - it is divine - we had a 2nd floor room with balcony - I can still see the white curtains bilowing out the balcony - beautiful tall ceilings, clean, fresh, fabulous breakfast - charming Itlian owners. DON"T STAY ANYWHERE ELSE!

Back to Samana, the Tropical Lodge is the only quiet-ish place around. You can find cheaper, but it will be loud. They also have a restaurant and kind honest staff.

have fun!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
LT Recommendation

If Las Terrenas is your choice go to Punta Bonita Beach.
There are several small hotels, normally quiet, bungalows are also there for rent.
We live up in the "mountains" and spending a day at the beach means going to PB.
Enjoy your stay.

m'frog

rubycatalina

Sep 21, 2004
another vote for playa colibri, in las terrenas.the apartments have well equipped kitchens and the grocery store, with a better selection of foods than i have found elsewhere in the country, delivers. also las terrenas has great italian bread.
the restaurant at playa colibri gets my endorsement also- and we received a discount as we live in the country.
very nice pool, peaceful beach, beautiful sunsets from the picnic tables in front of the bar.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
rubycatalina said:
another vote for playa colibri, in las terrenas.the apartments have well equipped kitchens and the grocery store, with a better selection of foods than i have found elsewhere in the country, delivers. also las terrenas has great italian bread.
the restaurant at playa colibri gets my endorsement also- and we received a discount as we live in the country.
very nice pool, peaceful beach, beautiful sunsets from the picnic tables in front of the bar.

And don't forget the French bakery with a wide viriety of Fresh bread, pastry and capuccinos.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Punta Bonita

Thumbs up for PUNTA BONITA, stayed there for three days last March, flew into Las Terranas airport(what a trip) fron Punta Cana. Stayed at the Atlantis, very nice, european, run by a French couple.He used to be the chef for the pres. of France, Mitterand? They charged me 55us a nite w/breakfast, full, not continental, it was very quiet, about 1 mile up or north of town. The city itself has some decent hotels also but plan on loud motos all nite and the music cranks all nite as well, great for the party people, but I was looking for a little more laid back atmosphere. The Atlantis has it all.