kids stuff

chocolatevodka

May 31, 2005
We will be moving to the DR in Uagust, and I have not yet found any info on the availability/cost of kids stuff. Is it easy to find children's clothes/toys/shoes/furniture... Is there anything I should absolutely bring with me when I come? Thank you for any info.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
It depends..

Hi, it depends on where in Dr you are moving, and also the age of the kids..
In Puerto Plata where I live you can find most of the things needed for kids of all ages. Like clothes, toys, beds/chairs/ sulkies etc etc.
Best for that is Messon, Casa Nelson and Jimenez.
Many people with small kids alos do their shopping in Santiago.
Some close friends of mine have a 3 year old, and another friend a 5 year old, and those kids miss nothing I?d say.
In Puerto Plata the most popular preschool is the Montessori school in TorreAlta, but there are for sure others around too. The Montessori school have an English tutor as well employeed.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Books

In my 9 years here the only thing that I have failed to find are good books in either Spanish or English for children. As education and reading are not priorities here the supply of good reading and teaching books are virtually impossible to find. Something to keep in mind. ;) ;) ;)

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
you can find baby stuff in DR HOWEVER it is VERY expensive!! that is when u compare prices with that of the US....i remember i was in JUMBO in february and saw a pack and play and went to see what the price was and it was like 200 almost 300 US dollars! then i priced outfits for the baby say 0-3 months and your talking 8-10 dollars. so for me, thats expensive....however there are people who sell clothes out of their house or on corners and i've never stopped to price them...has anyone ever checked out prices at places like these?

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
one more thing that boggles me is how dominicans afford diapers??? i know they sell them at colmados in singles and they are like 50 cents a diaper!! thats crazy!! even in a package at like plaza lama or jumbo they are crazy expensive!!! i personally brought tons of diapers for the 2 1/2 mo that i stay there...probably saved me hundereds!
baby food was like 14 pesos.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
audboogie said:
one more thing that boggles me is how dominicans afford diapers??? i know they sell them at colmados in singles and they are like 50 cents a diaper!! thats crazy!! even in a package at like plaza lama or jumbo they are crazy expensive!!! i personally brought tons of diapers for the 2 1/2 mo that i stay there...probably saved me hundereds!
baby food was like 14 pesos.

Noop, I bought diapers in my colmado for my dog, tired of blood all over my home.,, LOL. They were 12 pesos each. And colmados are more expensive than the supermarkets. Don?t know what a package cost there though...

faer

Jan 6, 2005
I know..wife and kids (one 4 yo the other just 5 months) comming shortly package of 24 Huggies diapers, steps 3/4/5 is around US$13...just my 2 cents

Dwald

Jan 22, 2004
Bring shoes with you!!! I was desperate (in Sto Domingo) last year to find light ones for my son. Also my friends with a 2 years old baby are in trouble for the same reason.

chocolatevodka

May 31, 2005
We'll be living in Santo domingo. Our children are 4; 2 and 3 months old. Thank you for this info. I will try to shop for shoes, but we currently live in Singapore and the problem is the same: good shoes are hard to find and then terribly expensive. Do you have any good adresses in SD?

Dwald

Jan 22, 2004
I know only shops in plazas (you will find them easily, Acropolis, Plaza Central, Diamond plaza....) there are a brand (?) called Hush Puppies, considered among the best. If anybody else has best info, I'm interested to know too. I will ask my friend with the 2 years old where she go to shop, but I know she didn't found easily fine 100% cotton stuff - as a matter of fact brought almous everything from Spain.
My son is 10 years old and I shop for him once a year during the vacations at home. Here everything seems to be too thick and heavy. I never found 100% fine cotton socks neither.
Other thing. If you are moving in Sto. Domingo with 3 little children when choosing apartement or house, you have to consider the lack of parks or playfields where to go. We have 3 big parks, but in rather bad conditions so...

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
faer said:
...package of 24 Huggies diapers, steps 3/4/5 is around US$13...just my 2 cents

If you are paying US$13 (RD$377), you are getting RIPPED OFF! I bought Huggies step 5 for my 18 months old for RD$269 today in 'La Sirena' and they were NOT on sale; that's the usual price I get them for. At today's exchange rate, RD$29 to US$1, that's US$9.28 or US$0.39 per unit (24 dippers per pack). Note, this product is imported from Costa Rica and not locally made.

In USA huggies Step 5 (30 dippers per pack) cost ~US$14 or US$0.47 per unit for a local product! This makes Huggies cheaper in DR. There are other cheaper 'unknown' brand of disposable dippers here too. I personally don't like or use them but they are available as an option. (Teddy, Peque?in, Chupetin and a few others)

I buy Beach Nut stage 2 rice cereal for RD$59.95 (US$2.07). Other flavors and brands are available at similar prices. Baby food such as Gerber, Beach Nut and Yukery are all in the same price range RD$10.95-RD$13.95 (US$0.38-US$0.48). Again, all of these baby food brands are imported from Costa Rica and so is the Rice Cereal.

NotLurking

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
In USA huggies Step 5 (30 dippers per pack) cost ~US$14 or US$0.47 per unit for a local product! This makes Huggies cheaper in DR.

you must be talking about when u buy them at a grocery store and not on sale cause that is a very high price for diapers in US. at toys r us they sell huggies or pampers diapers in boxes that cost roughly 20 dollars mas or menos a few dollars and that includes 100 and something diapers which comes out to like 19 cents last time i did the calcuations. thats why i posted earlier that diapers are VERY EXPENSIVE in the DR....must be imported.

beechnut cereal in an 8oz box here is 1.50 not on sale in store. beechnut 2nd stage baby foods are 29 cents here in US not on sale..much cheaper than DR,

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
audboogie said:
In USA huggies Step 5 (30 dippers per pack) cost ~US$14 or US$0.47 per unit for a local product! This makes Huggies cheaper in DR.

you must be talking about when u buy them at a grocery store and not on sale cause that is a very high price for diapers in US. at toys r us they sell huggies or pampers diapers in boxes that cost roughly 20 dollars mas or menos a few dollars and that includes 100 and something diapers which comes out to like 19 cents last time i did the calcuations. thats why i posted earlier that diapers are VERY EXPENSIVE in the DR....must be imported.

beechnut cereal in an 8oz box here is 1.50 not on sale in store. beechnut 2nd stage baby foods are 29 cents here in US not on sale..much cheaper than DR,

Oh, you mean these listed at US$34.99 on sale at US$29.99?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005JSBB/104-9241971-2191908?v=glance&s=hpc
Buying BULK is not the same as buying one unit retail!!! If I buy in bulk here in DR, I'll get the same price the store gets- read CHEAPER because of BULK. That's why the dippers are cheaper not for any other reason. Here, compare it for yourself! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00007IKKQ/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/104-9241971-2191908
Like I said, a 30 pack of Huggies Step 5 is ~US$14 (US$13.99). The proof is in the pudding.

NotLurking

EDIT:
Audboogie, are you sure about those prices you listed for BeechNut products? All the prices I found are more than what you listed for both the baby food and the cereal. Here are two of the cheapest places I found on the net. (I have more links but the prices are higher by a few pennies than the sites listed below.)

http://www.netgrocer.com/webapp/main.cfm?action_id=search_results_form&search_string=beechnut

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...191908?index=blended&field-keywords=beech nut

Last edited: