Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kids stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Question kids stuff

We will be moving to the DR in Uagust, and I have not yet found any info on the availability/cost of kids stuff. Is it easy to find children's clothes/toys/shoes/furniture... Is there anything I should absolutely bring with me when I come? Thank you for any info.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It depends..

Hi, it depends on where in Dr you are moving, and also the age of the kids..
    In Puerto Plata where I live you can find most of the things needed for kids of all ages. Like clothes, toys, beds/chairs/ sulkies etc etc.
    Best for that is Messon, Casa Nelson and Jimenez.
    Many people with small kids alos do their shopping in Santiago.
    Some close friends of mine have a 3 year old, and another friend a 5 year old, and those kids miss nothing Iīd say.
    In Puerto Plata the most popular preschool is the Montessori school in TorreAlta, but there are for sure others around too. The Montessori school have an English tutor as well employeed.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Books

In my 9 years here the only thing that I have failed to find are good books in either Spanish or English for children. As education and reading are not priorities here the supply of good reading and teaching books are virtually impossible to find. Something to keep in mind.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

you can find baby stuff in DR HOWEVER it is VERY expensive!! that is when u compare prices with that of the US....i remember i was in JUMBO in february and saw a pack and play and went to see what the price was and it was like 200 almost 300 US dollars! then i priced outfits for the baby say 0-3 months and your talking 8-10 dollars. so for me, thats expensive....however there are people who sell clothes out of their house or on corners and i've never stopped to price them...has anyone ever checked out prices at places like these?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

one more thing that boggles me is how dominicans afford diapers??? i know they sell them at colmados in singles and they are like 50 cents a diaper!! thats crazy!! even in a package at like plaza lama or jumbo they are crazy expensive!!! i personally brought tons of diapers for the 2 1/2 mo that i stay there...probably saved me hundereds!
    baby food was like 14 pesos.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audboogie
    one more thing that boggles me is how dominicans afford diapers??? i know they sell them at colmados in singles and they are like 50 cents a diaper!! thats crazy!! even in a package at like plaza lama or jumbo they are crazy expensive!!! i personally brought tons of diapers for the 2 1/2 mo that i stay there...probably saved me hundereds!
    baby food was like 14 pesos.
    Noop, I bought diapers in my colmado for my dog, tired of blood all over my home.,, LOL. They were 12 pesos each. And colmados are more expensive than the supermarkets. Donīt know what a package cost there though...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I know..wife and kids (one 4 yo the other just 5 months) comming shortly package of 24 Huggies diapers, steps 3/4/5 is around US$13...just my 2 cents

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Bring shoes with you!!! I was desperate (in Sto Domingo) last year to find light ones for my son. Also my friends with a 2 years old baby are in trouble for the same reason.

Post Thanks / Like

We'll be living in Santo domingo. Our children are 4; 2 and 3 months old. Thank you for this info. I will try to shop for shoes, but we currently live in Singapore and the problem is the same: good shoes are hard to find and then terribly expensive. Do you have any good adresses in SD?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I know only shops in plazas (you will find them easily, Acropolis, Plaza Central, Diamond plaza....) there are a brand (?) called Hush Puppies, considered among the best. If anybody else has best info, I'm interested to know too. I will ask my friend with the 2 years old where she go to shop, but I know she didn't found easily fine 100% cotton stuff - as a matter of fact brought almous everything from Spain.
    My son is 10 years old and I shop for him once a year during the vacations at home. Here everything seems to be too thick and heavy. I never found 100% fine cotton socks neither.
    Other thing. If you are moving in Sto. Domingo with 3 little children when choosing apartement or house, you have to consider the lack of parks or playfields where to go. We have 3 big parks, but in rather bad conditions so...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast