Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Electronics in suitcase

Our TV is on its last breath and I'm thinking about flying to Miami to get a nice big flatscreen that would fit into a suitcase. Plaza Lama & co are not an option, just a ripoffs on large TVs.

I know that in SDQ they are x-ray scanning a lot and getting trough without paying the whole price of the TV again to aduana will be hard.

What I was thinking now is to leave and enter the country over Punta Cana airport. I never used that airport but from the looks of it I have a feeling they might not be doing any controls there since only tourists come in that way.

Someone has any experiences at Punta Cana? Do they control entering tourists at all? I would put on my "Gringo on vacaciones" outfit too.

Thanks

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PlantaFULL
    Our TV is on its last breath and I'm thinking about flying to Miami to get a nice big flatscreen that would fit into a suitcase. Plaza Lama & co are not an option, just a ripoffs on large TVs.

I know that in SDQ they are x-ray scanning a lot and getting trough without paying the whole price of the TV again to aduana will be hard.

What I was thinking now is to leave and enter the country over Punta Cana airport. I never used that airport but from the looks of it I have a feeling they might not be doing any controls there since only tourists come in that way.

Someone has any experiences at Punta Cana? Do they control entering tourists at all? I would put on my "Gringo on vacaciones" outfit too.

Thanks
    I know that they certainly scan tourist cases at POP and have seen them open people up too. POP is also a tourist packed airport so I can't imagine that it will be any different in Punta Cana??

I know it doesn't answer your question entirely but hope it helps!

Daydream

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking/hoping Punta Cana might be more like 97% ratio of tourist arrivials when compared to POP. I'm not sure tho, all I know is there is nothing other than resorts around it.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

if they didn't scan anything before...they'll do it now..you just told the whole planet of your "plan"...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Since the new administration there has been a noticeable difference at SDQ. They are so on top of things now it barely looks or feels like the same airport. The overstay station clerk actually had and gave me change (cambio)...and not just pesos either.

I have brought electronics into the country without a problem. I tell them it for my house or job. Now keep in mind this wasn't a large television. Take all the price tags off. Remove any thing that might give the appearance of new. Wrap it up in some clothing and act very cocky! (my "no entiendo espanol" aint cutting it anymore with these people...I got too many custom stamps in and out).
    TEHAMA

PS- What model are you thinking about that would fit in a suitcase? The ones I have seem have been very wide (linear). Maybe fit in a steamer trunk. Good luck!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Just have 2x5 USD in your hand . Call a person from the douane say that you are very tired and that you will pass rapidly and give him these money in the hand but so that nobody can see anything . The person open you suitcase and closed it whitout to check the suitcase .
    Why 2 x 5 USD ? He need to split the money with the other person .
    Never have problem with this , every time I arrive in Punta Cana I do it . Almost once a month I'm coming to the DR with electronic equipments .

Greetings , Wim .

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Daydream??? POP?

I've never seen them scanning cases at POP. When is this done? I travel almost every 2 weeks and only give a few $$$ at customs and they just upzip the bags and then close them.....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PlantaFULL

Thanks
    Just wondering, how big is your suitcase? If you are flying to Miami for business or pleasure, it seems plausible obtaining a tv secondary to the trip. However, if you are flying to Miami just for the tv; it seems to me the monies spent for the air fare would be better spent toward a purchase of a tv in the D.R. A tv purchase in the D.R. would have the service and guarantee that would not be entitled to a purchase offshore.

Also, they do random checks at PUJ. Big suitcases are suspect?

Good Luck and Regards,
    PJT

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paddy
    if they didn't scan anything before...they'll do it now..you just told the whole planet of your "plan"...

Oh yeah like customs is reading this forum...and even if someone told them about it, you actually think they would change procedures.....please....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POP Bad Boy
    I've never seen them scanning cases at POP. When is this done? I travel almost every 2 weeks and only give a few $$$ at customs and they just upzip the bags and then close them.....
    Hola
    They scan them when they come off the plane before they put them onto the conveyor belt for collection - they usually put a sticker on them too, saying that they have been scanned.

I have also seen them open people cases.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast