American Girl moving to DR soon

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Hey there~

My name is Sunnie and I'm a 26-year old American female. I just got out of the US Army after almost 8 years and am planning a move to the DR around the 1st of July. I'm really excited to begin a new life but am terrified at the same time because I don't know a soul in the DR.

I have a 2 year old daughter and I'm so disillusioned by this country that I can't bring myself to raise her in the US. I met several Dominicans while I was in the military and have always been intrigued by the country.

I would really like to meet some people online before I make the move down there. I would be so grateful if someone would be willing to show me the ropes as far as employment, living arrangements, etc.

When I arrive next month, I have absolutely no idea where my daughter and I will be living. I'm not in the market to buy a house so I will have to rent something relatively cheap. When we first arrive, I would really like to find someone we can stay with for a couple of days while we get on our feet and find a place to live. If someone would be kind enough to open up their home to us for a couple of days then I would insist upon cooking, cleaning, etc.

I'm single and am not necessarily looking for a serious relationship but I am definitely open to the idea of falling in love with someone. I believe these things happen when we least expect them.

If anyone is interested in getting to know me better and possibly help out a bit, please mail me at sunnie_marie@hotmail.com. I have pictures of myself that I can email as well because I know it's hard to talk to people online and not know what they look like.

I really hope that I'm able to make some friends online before I move to the DR. It would be so nice to have open arms waiting for us when we get there. And please understand that I'm not looking for any handouts - I'm coming to the country to work hard and begin a new life but it would be so much easier if I knew some genuine people that I can trust.

Hugs!

Sunnie

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
sunshine_79 said:
Hey there~

My name is Sunnie and I'm a 26-year old American female. I just got out of the US Army after almost 8 years and am planning a move to the DR around the 1st of July. I'm really excited to begin a new life but am terrified at the same time because I don't know a soul in the DR.

I have a 2 year old daughter and I'm so disillusioned by this country that I can't bring myself to raise her in the US. I met several Dominicans while I was in the military and have always been intrigued by the country.

I would really like to meet some people online before I make the move down there. I would be so grateful if someone would be willing to show me the ropes as far as employment, living arrangements, etc.

When I arrive next month, I have absolutely no idea where my daughter and I will be living. I'm not in the market to buy a house so I will have to rent something relatively cheap. When we first arrive, I would really like to find someone we can stay with for a couple of days while we get on our feet and find a place to live. If someone would be kind enough to open up their home to us for a couple of days then I would insist upon cooking, cleaning, etc.

I'm single and am not necessarily looking for a serious relationship but I am definitely open to the idea of falling in love with someone. I believe these things happen when we least expect them.

If anyone is interested in getting to know me better and possibly help out a bit, please mail me at sunnie_marie@hotmail.com. I have pictures of myself that I can email as well because I know it's hard to talk to people online and not know what they look like.

I really hope that I'm able to make some friends online before I move to the DR. It would be so nice to have open arms waiting for us when we get there. And please understand that I'm not looking for any handouts - I'm coming to the country to work hard and begin a new life but it would be so much easier if I knew some genuine people that I can trust.

Hugs!

Sunnie

You are making a MASSIVE mistake!

You have never been here, you have no idea what it's like to live here and to make matters worse, your planning to come without enough knowledge or friends to put a roof over your head or food in your mouth.

I suggest you take a few deep breathes, sit down for 4-5hrs and read everything on this forum and website.

Then come back to this board when you have a realistic plan based on real knowledge. Right now your head is in the clouds based on the fantasy that this is a Caribbean paradise.

Yeah, I know I'm tough, but I have seen too many people crash and burn in this country because they wouldn't listen or didn't have a clue what the DR is about.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Ill prepared

sunshine_79 said:
When I arrive next month, I have absolutely no idea where my daughter and I will be living.

A good opportunity to meet people would be our chat.

It sounds as if you haven't done your homework yet and read thoroughly on this message board.
Unless you do so you are in for a hard landing.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Roberts word might sound tough to you, but they are the truth, and you are planning to arrive to a reality you are not familiar with in any shape or form.

Where on the island do you plan to live?

What is your monthly buget for living, i.e what would you like to rent?
Be prepared to at least 6 months on savings, before you find a job, depending on your skills, language knowledge, luck etc etc.
A couple of days won?t do it, sorry.. I wish it would, but it won?t.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Damnit Robert, you beat me to the punch!

It so happens that everything he has said is right on the money.

I have lived here for over 42 years and when I decided to stay here, I had a place to sleep, a fine education , an extended family to look after me just in case, a wonderful girlfriend that I was going to marry, (Amd did!)

Plus, I had two years of experience here and knew literally everyone from the President on down....

Sure, other people have come here with a nestegg and managed to live and do okay. I'll give them that.

But just because you are pi$$ed off at Uncle Sam is no reason to pick up and leave.

Have you considered the fact that there is little or no work here for you.? What did you learn in your 8 years in the Army that you can market here? That might be the key...Know that you have to live here for 18 months to qualify for your residence visa and a work permit. Know that salaries here are way below the poverty level in the states and the cost of living can be as high as the States.
The cost of educating your child-modestly, that is- will run over US$2000 a year for tuition alone. I paid close to $50 dollars for one of my grandson's text books and he is in the first grade!!

Take that deep breath, do the research and then come back with a better perspective on this move.

It is not that we don't want you here, it is that we want you to be happy here, and like my dear father in law once said, when poverty comes in the door, happiness goes out the window.

Take care,

HB :(:(

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Oh my

Please Please Please Please take Roberts and everyone's advice. DO NOT do it the way your are currently planning. Read, read, read, visit, visit visit first. There may be light at the end of the tunnel, but believe me me in your case it is a TRAIN, a very big TRAIN.

Bob

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Noooooooooo!!!

sunshine_79 said:
Hey there~

Sunnie, you need to slow down. If not, you WILL hurt your daughter much more than you will hurt yourself.

Give yourself some time and think things thru.

There are horror stories about people moving to the DR without planning it and then realizing that they made a mistake. I know of people that have moved to the DR with thousands and thousands of dollars only to find themselves miserable and moving back to the US.

I, for one, have been planning to more there for a few years and I will not move there until I have the time to live there for a year just to see if I can make it. Just imagine this: I am dominican, I speak spanish, I visit about 3-5 times a year, money is no problem, I own businesses over there, I own homes over there and it's still hard for me to move since I don't even know if I will get use to the dominican everyday life. Imagine how hard it will be for you.

It's just beyond me that you can think about leaving the country that you know for another that you know nothing about. Just because your dominican friends told you about it does not mean that you know anything about the country. You can not see a country thru someone else's eyes.

I am not saying that you should not live there, all I am saying is that you should give yourself more time. Make a few trips over there and see if you can handle it. The DR is a different monster. As I said before, rich people (including a few of my relatives) have moved over there only to come back in a few years. Save some money and then plan carefully.

It's not fair to you and to your daughter that you are not given yourself enough time. One month is NOTHING to make such a BIG decision. Think about it some more if not for you, for your daughter.

Btw, as the previous poster told you, take a few hours and read some of the many stories about people moving to the DR thinking that they will be able to handle it. I promise you that if you keep an open mind, you will come back to your thread and post that we are right.

Ps: just looking after you so you don't end up being another casualty(not trying to be funny).

Pss: we are not trying to be harsh or to put you down, so don't shy/go away. Ask any questions that you may have. Just keep an open mind.

Last edited:

john cast

Oct 3, 2004
sunshine_79 said:
Hey there~

Hugs!

Sunnie
i like the dr and own two condo,d there,but i think you better take a short vacation too the dr befor you move

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
All of you are right, you are running so fast, take your time, come for vacations, see by yourself how is the real dominican life and what your will find here, don't go to the resort where all is very nice. Think of your baby will be so hart to arrive and don't have anyplace yet, and hope you can speak some spanish.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Grass Is Always Greener On The Other Side Of The Fence

I THINK YOU SCARED THE POOR GIRL AWAY......................

although I do agree with all the posts
she needs to do more RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCHHHHHHHHHHH

Nov 5, 2004
Don't think these are all negative ppl...

They are HONEST.

They KNOW what they are talking about.

Can you and you daughter possible live in 40 degree (C..no F) weather with no power..you can't cook, turn on the fan or have air conditioning...

Even if you have been in the DR before and stayed on a beautiful resort...the whole of the Dominican Rep is NOTHING like the resorts. It is a wonderful contry with wonderful kind, caring ppl..but not anything like living in the DR.

PLEASE PLEASE take as many trips as you can on your own, and as many as possible with your daughter to see what it is like.

Unless you know Dominicans and speak Spanish you will not get a cheap price in many places.

I know...turst me do i ever know..even being there a few times it seemes like a perfect paradise..and there are many GREAT and AMAZING things about the DR...BUT...unless you LIVE not visit here you won't know if you can survive in the DR.

Some of the replies sound harsh..but they are very honest, true and correct. Trust me..although you gotta take what certain ppl say withht a grain of salt..all the ppl who have posted replies to you, are very knowledgeable ppl.
I really honestly hope,with all my heart, you take this advice and try visiting for an extended period of time to see what it's like.

This is a HUGe life decision.

I used to jump into anything that sounded like fun wihtout a secondon thought..but the end result of many of hotes things weren't good..and I had only myself to think about not a daughter too..

For her sake..PLEASE..investiage this wonderful country further befor eyou decide it is for you!! POR FAVOUR

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
All I'm saying is "Uh huh......"

Im gonna stick to the expression if you got nothing nice to say dont say it at all.... well at least for this post ;)

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Read It Again!!

Escott said:
What exactly do you NOT agree with and why? Do you live in the Dominican Republic?

What are you talking about?????If you read my post again you will see that I said I DO AGREE with the previous posts, I just thought that everyone came on a little strong to her....Get it ? And yes I do live part of the year, about 4 or 5 months in a interior small town, so I know the deallllllllll Adios

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Something doesn't seem right...

I don't know what the Hell..! the U.S. Army has done to you!! but...you sound as if your defecting or something. having been in the Marines myself, when I moved out there because of my wife, I made sure my pension was kicked in first..then I left, I gave it a year and came back to the states like a bat out of hell!! now if you have been in the military for eight years with no discharge!! you should be receiving:

1. College assistance - through the G.I. bill
2. an immediate military service pension
3. Paid child care, why'll your studying
4. And your military service card or I.D. rather, should give you discounts to
purchase item at discount prices.
5. You can also be involved in law enforcement or as a C.O. getting paid
good money!!

Did you not take advantage of any skill training why'll in service. Hymm I don't know!! your not giving us your whole story, not that it's any of our business, but your talking desperate, moving to a country you only heard of,
and soliciting strangers to pick you and your daughter up.. like if you were a hood rat...c'mon you don't sound like a trained military officer to me.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
ggn420 said:
What are you talking about?????If you read my post again you will see that I said I DO AGREE with the previous posts, I just thought that everyone came on a little strong to her....Get it ? And yes I do live part of the year, about 4 or 5 months in a interior small town, so I know the deallllllllll Adios
Sorry I did misread your post. Where is it that you live part time?

You think what was written was strong? Heck I think it was pretty mild.

Escott

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
For what it's worth...

...if I had eight years in the Army, I would stick it out for another 12 and get a fairly nice retirement at age 38. You will have have food and shelter, and your kid could get a nice education. But, there is no better way to appreciate the good ole USA, than to move to a foreign country where you don't speak the language, half the day you may have no electric power, corruption abounds, etc., etc., etc.

OH, WHAT THE HELL!! Move on down there! Take a chance! Have some fun! Life is short!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
AtlantaBob said:
...if I had eight years in the Army, I would stick it out for another 12 and get a fairly nice retirement at age 38. You will have have food and shelter, and your kid could get a nice education. But, there is no better way to appreciate the good ole USA, than to move to a foreign country where you don't speak the language, half the day you may have no electric power, corruption abounds, etc., etc., etc.

OH, WHAT THE HELL!! Move on down there! Take a chance! Have some fun! Life is short!
You also forgot that it is HOT AS HELL!!!! down there 24X7 all day-every day