reserving caribe tours

bozorboso

May 16, 2005
i just read on a website somewhere that you must reserve bus tickets in advance for Caribe Tours...is this true?
i'll be taking the bus from Santiago to Sosua next week, and I had thought that I just had to show up at the bus station...

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Not so

bozorboso said:
i just read on a website somewhere that you must reserve bus tickets in advance for Caribe Tours...is this true?
i'll be taking the bus from Santiago to Sosua next week, and I had thought that I just had to show up at the bus station...
I've been to the DR twice in the last six months. Both times I took the Caribe Tours bus between the south and north coasts. Both times I just showed up at the station and bought a ticket for the next bus. Both times there was no problem (and I speak almost no Spanish).

By the way, I know how it is for a newbie. As your departure time gets closer, the questions just seem to multiply. That's OK. Go ahead and ask. This board is absolutely going to be your best source of information for anything having to do with the DR.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
bozorboso said:

You just show up and buy your ticket. I have been taking Caribe Tours buses for 19 years and never made a reservation.

A bus leaves Santiago for Sosua once each hour throughout the day and into the evening.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Reservations

Most of the time you can just show up, pay and hop on a bus. BUT sometimes they are already sold out. SO, it is recommended that you reserve ahead of time during key times. I would think that would include Friday night, Sunday, all holidays periods and the day before holidays.

I had a friend visit me during a holiday weekend and he had a heck of a time getting on a bus to go home! He had to wait for 3 buses which were already sold out! Thank goodness they put on an extra bus.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I was in the capital a few weeks ago and took a bus up to Sosua. I got to the station about 30 minutes before the bus left, bought the ticket and hung out. No need to buy the ticket beforehand.

bozorboso

May 16, 2005
thanks thanks thanks!

thanks, everyone! this website has been a lifesaver! "victor laszlo"...casablanca fan, huh? :classic: great movie!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Re: Reserve purchase

If you send me an email and tell me all of the details, I can "reserve" a seat for you with no problem.

Or, if you speak Spanish, you can call them at 809 241 1414 and reserve your own seat if it makes you feel any better.

Otherwise, you just show up, and if they are full you wait an hour, thats all. There are two or three eateries nearby (KFC, Pollo Victorino, Pasta House and a Baskins and Robbins just up the street.).

Let me know.

HB :D:D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There should be no problem getting to Sosua from Santiago without a reservation. The bus starts in Santo Domingo, usually makes a quick stop in La Vega, then goes to Santiago. If you were boarding the bus in La Vega you might have a problem. If the bus left SD full and nobody got off in La Vega, then there would be no seat. But a lot of the passengers on the bus get off at Santiago, so that when it goes on to Puerto Plata and Sosua, there are a lot of empty seats.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about having a reservation for the trip from Santiago to Sosua. There will be people, like you, buying a ticket in Santiago for Puerto Plata or Sosua, but not as many as got off in Santiago.

bozorboso

May 16, 2005
again, thanks to everyone for all of the advice! it's made me even more excited about the trip, knowing that everyone is so kind and so positive about the DR!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
bozorboso said:
again, thanks to everyone for all of the advice! it's made me even more excited about the trip, knowing that everyone is so kind and so positive about the DR!

You?ll have a great time! Keep an open mind, prepare yourself for new insights and to meet a generous latino culture!
And as for pre reservations, just forget about those things, live "today" as the rest of us do here, and take tomorrow when it comes!
Greetings from a sunny, hot, hot, hot, hot and humid Puerto Plata! ;)