STI airport

bozorboso

May 16, 2005
even more questions........
I am traveling from the US....i have heard that i need to obtain a green tourist card, and also something about a departure tax?
what are these, and where/how do i get them?
also, what is the general procedure upon arrival at STI airport?
i haven't been able to find any maps of the airport online, but i'd like to have a good idea as to where to get tourist cards, pick up luggage, change money, and catch a taxi to the Caribe bus station
any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
bozorboso said:
I am traveling from the US....i have heard that i need to obtain a green tourist card, and also something about a departure tax?
i haven't been able to find any maps of the airport online, but i'd like to have a good idea as to where to get tourist cards, pick up luggage, change money, and catch a taxi to the Caribe bus station

O.k. first the tourist visa will be given to you by the airlines, that's if you are going American Airlines, if not when you enter the terminal you will have to fill one out, if a suit and tie person approaches you wanting to give you assistance, refuse it and stay on the visitors line and pay the teller the $10.00 fee upon entre...and you will also have to pay this same amount upon your departure as well. keep this in mine this is the tax cost you were asking about, you can change and money exchanged right at the luggage pick up area, and as far as cabs are concerned I would recommend that you make arrangements before you get there, I normally call a company called taxi Supremo and ask for Mr.Delfino he was my personal cabby in the island he is very reliable and trustworthy, any other company and you will be at the mercy of there ridiculously high prices. anyway I hope this will help you..Have fun and God bless.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
You can purchase the tourist card at JFK or Miami if you are flying American Airlines or Jet Blue. Jet Blue charges $11.00 (not sure about AA). Most charters include it in the package.

If your departure airport does not offer the tourist cards, you can purchase one ($10.00) at STI. As you enter the terminal building at STI the desk where they are sold is to the left.

The departure tax was raised to $20.00 two years ago. You probably will have to pay it if you are flying charter air, but scheduled air carriers (AA, Continental, Jet Blue etc) include it in the taxes you pay when you purchase your ticket.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
You pay US$10 when you enter and US$0 when you leave, you pay once for your tourist card and you will turn it in when you leave.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
bozorboso said:
1. Tourist card US$10 (Don't lose it) in the terminal, you can't miss it.
2. No departure tax
3. Get off the plane, pay $10 for your card, go thru customs, have a drink, get your luggage, go thru security screening, goodbye.
4. Outside to the right there's a bank.
5. taxis all around, there's a posted taxi rate sign RD$450 to Santiago
6. Safe trip

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Ricardo900 said:
2. No departure tax
As noted by another poster, there is a US$20 departure tax. The tax is generally (not always) included in the ticket price.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As the Official Voice of Santiago

(Self-Proclaimed!!:D:D) Allow me to

Confirm the information you have been given by our astute posters.

You will find Santiago Airport to be one of the very most people friendly airports you have ever visited.

Have a good visit.

HB :D:D

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
rellosk said:
As noted by another poster, there is a US$20 departure tax. The tax is generally (not always) included in the ticket price.
I don't know if it makes a different what carrier you use, but with American, all taxes are included in the price of the ticket and I never had to come out of my pocket upon departure from the DR

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
daddy1 said:
O.k. first the tourist visa will be given to you by the airlines, that's if you are going American Airlines, if not when you enter the terminal you will have to fill one out,

Just so the OP knows, AA does not give out Tourist Cards, those cost $10 on arrival. They do give out the Customs forms (all travelers) and the Embarkation/Debarkation cards (Dominicans, Residents and People with Actual DR Visas).

Charters often do include the tourist card with the fare but not the departure tax, while scheduled airlines, AA and CO for sure , no tourist cards are provided free (or at cost either anymore), but taxes are already paid on the ticket for departing.

bozorboso

May 16, 2005
we're flying Continental airways, out of Dulles International airport in Washington, D.C.
thanks again, everyone!