Is there such a thing as disability and unemployment insurance in DR?

katty

Mar 14, 2003
I am just curious about the amount of folks without jobs in DR (aside from being sankys) how do they live from day to day, without like US gives Gov't assistance? I have talked to and seen many without jobs and have always wondered how they make it.

jayvon30

Jun 1, 2005
Hi, I'm a newbie. How they make it? Let me tell you Dominicans are very hard workers and they work at anything, selling all kinds of things on the streets, from fruits to bread, cleaning houses, etc. I remember seeing people at 12:00 p.m. when the sun is the hottest pushing a cart full of plaintains, yucca, potatoes, etc. I tell you, I admire those people because they rather work hard under the sun to support their family rather than do anything illegal. I left the country a long time ago ('75) as a child and have not had the opportunity to travel there much so I don't know if it is still like that, but I would imagine so. I lived in Santo Domingo.

jayvon30

Jun 1, 2005
And to add to my above post, not all Dominicans are sankies. I have five brothers and a bunch of nephews (some of my nephews still live in DR) and let me tell you they are very proud hard-working men.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Spew!! Phoo!! Eeeek!! Coffee On Keyboard!!

Yes, of course there is supposed to be, but I have never, ever, actually seen it happen

Some of the free zone workers get paid if injured but I really have not heard of any maimed local workers getting any sort of compensation for work related injuries.

Sorry, a great place for us to live but not so hot for those injured here.

HB , former member AFL-CIO

:D:D:D

katty

Mar 14, 2003
Not Welfare

I was more curious about people that have lost husbands or wives, children etc. and left with nothing, perhaps something similiar to SS or medicare. I understand the unemployment layoff severance pay in DR. I also believe if one is not working just as in the states there is alot of welfare fraud just to speak of, where some not all, these are able bodied people that just do not want to work. If someone from NA or DR wanted to work they can find it menial as it may be. I for one know many in NA that can but won't as they know the system too well. Why should they they say. In DR I see the same thing, again some not all I see able bodied people not working that could if they wanted to. I just do not know how able bodied people choose to live in such poverty. If there is a choice. However the gov't in DR does very little for the ones that need but they choose to live the life of luxury.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Government and military botellas, remittances from family abroad help people make ends meet without having to work much.