help with these words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Here at least, 'zicote' is the cheesy stink of smelly feet/socks/shoes.

'Guayo' could be a grinder or a grater, because 'guayar' is to grind/grate, as in 'guayando la yuca'.

Never heard the other one.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
MaineGirl said:
emproado
el zicote
el guayo

last time I started a thread on words, only a few responded :( PLease help.

Do you mean "empeorado" it means to get worse or to worsen.

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Or do you mean "empotrado"

Or do you mean "empotrado " which would mean "built in" ... Af far as I can check there is no Spanish word that starts with "empro"

Stodgord said:
Do you mean "empeorado" it means to get worse or to worsen.

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Just to confirm what Chrimayo wrote

Indeed "Guayo" is a grater ..the word is only used in the Carr. epecially Cuba ... found also a second meaning of the word probably derivated from the sound a grater makes ..The second meaning would be " a bad street band "

Chirimoya said:
Here at least, 'zicote' is the cheesy stink of smelly feet/socks/shoes.

'Guayo' could be a grinder or a grater, because 'guayar' is to grind/grate, as in 'guayando la yuca'.

Never heard the other one.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Word

empotrar = embed
sicote = odor and dirt in feet
guayo = grater but also that musical instrument needed to produce typical merengue music. The rasp....like the gourd with slash marks on it but out of tin... This is so not right. A pure slip of the HB hard drive. I was thinking of the g?ira!!! Or in Cuba the g?iro. Sorry, my baddie.

HB :D:D Educating the world.

Last edited:

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Hillbilly said:
empotrar = embed
sicote = odor and dirt in feet
guayo = grater but also that musical instrument needed to produce typical merengue music. The rasp....like the gourd with slash marks on it but out of tin...

HB :D:D Educating the world.

Guayo is grater as in cheese grater. We use it to grate coconut.

Guira (Gu-i-ra)= is the musical instrument that gives the shredy sound in Merengue.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
em(proa)do = con la proa al viento

'emproado' is a windsurfing term, which means 'with the bow (prow) towards the wind'

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Thanks. A lot.

The story takes place in Santo Domingo in 1916 and it is narrated by a group of baseball kids who live in a ghetto and watch the Memphis sink. They swim out there at night and rob the boat and also get it on with a mermaid. Quite the tale. My kids are enjoying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.